It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2008, 09:16 PM   #1
(female)

vonnag HB User
First injection of Copaxone today

Hi all,

Well, I did my first injection today, with the nurse here.

I used the autoinject.

I could barley feel the needle, or the med. going in. She said it would start stinging in a few minutes. It did, but not as bad as I thought it was going to be. Just a little uncomfortable. I got a redness several inches wide all around the injection site. I developed a whelp about the size of of a quarter. This all happened within about ten minutes.

Other than this, no other reactions. The stinging stopped within 15 minutes, and we were off to church. After church, I checked the site, and you could not even tell that I had injected! No redness at all!

I may be getting overly excited too soon, but if all are this easy, it won't be near as bad as I thought!

Just wanted to let ya'll know how it went, and encourage those who may be starting Copaxone soon. Are you out there Sadies Mom? Have you started your Copaxone yet?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-20-2008, 01:48 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Nenu HB User
Re: First injection of Copaxone today

I'll be starting mine next week. Glad to hear it wasn't that bad for you. I'm a bit shaky about starting mine. I hate the idea of self injections, but like anything I'm sure I will get used to it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-20-2008, 05:34 AM   #3
(male)

sodapopper HB Usersodapopper HB Usersodapopper HB User

I started copaxone the beginning of January and I get burning and itching for about 10-15 minutes tops. Some sites are more irritating than others. If it is too bad, then I apply ice afterwords for a few minutes. Other than that, no other reactions. I feel really good.

Old 03-20-2008, 03:49 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

Congrats Vonnag and thanks for being positive about the whole thing- its always nice to read how one goes from being "terrified" to being "okay" with the whole thing....you do get used to injections pretty quickly- Im glad your first one went so well....
keep up the good work!
Nikki

Old 03-20-2008, 04:52 PM   #5
(female)

vonnag HB User

Getting ready to do the second one all by myself...

We'll see how that goes.

Old 03-20-2008, 05:02 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

april1848 HB User

Congratulations vonnag! Your attitude is awesome. I hope Sadies Mom lets us know how she's doing too. Keep it up!
Stopped 4/10 due to no insurance.

Old 03-24-2008, 10:21 AM   #7
(female)

vonnag HB User

Hi everyone, just wanted to give a quick update.

At this point, I have given myself four shots of Copaxone.

All is going well. When I first read that the shot would feel like a bee sting for 30 minutes, I wondered how I was going to endure this everyday.

It does feel somewhat like a sting, but a bee sting hurts much worse. That is, in my case. I know everyone has different reactions to the medication, so I am not trying to make light of those who have to endure much pain from the injections.

I am just trying to give hope to those fixing to start or contemplating it.

On another note, when the nurse came the first day, she gave me some news I wasn't expecting. She saw that I had put the med. in a box and locked it up before putting it in the refrigorator. I explained that I had a curious four year old. She said that Copaxone could be stored at room temperature for up to thirty days. She suggested that I take five injections out at a time, and put them in the case with my autoinjector. I have a locking bank bag that I store the autoinjector case in.

Anyway, this has really helped alot! I don't have to remember to get the key and take the med out of the fridge. Then, put the med. out of the reach of my son, hide the key again (I can't just put it on my keychain, my son is too smart for this), and take the med. 20 minutes later.

Instead, I can store five injections at a time in my bedroom. He or my other children never even have to see the injection materials. They don't have to be reminded daily of my condition. I have everything I need to give the injection in my bedroom quickly, saftely, and discreetly. Plus, I don't have to remember to take the med. out of the fridge everyday! This has been a big help to me.

By the way, I did read all the materials that came with the Copaxone. It does state that Copaxone can now be stored at room temperature for up to thirty days. I do think it is wise to store the bulk of the med. in the fridge though, and just take a a strip of five out at a time.

Hope this helps someone!

Old 03-25-2008, 05:42 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Nenu HB User

Great news! I'm terrible at remembering stuff in my fridge for some reason, but I'm always at my computer. I'll probably do what you did, take the few days supply and sit it right under my nose Mind you, I don't think I'll forget the injections

Old 03-25-2008, 10:51 AM   #9
(female)

vonnag HB User

Nenu, I can't imagine forgetting the injection at this point. Maybe when I get a little more used to it though.

A lady from Shared Solutions called yesterday. She was very helpful and considerate. I let her know about how I was taking a strip of five out of the fridge. at a time. She said it was perfectly fine, and if it was more convienient, I might want to get out seven instead. This way, I would be getting them out of the fridge the same day of the week each time. It was nice to double check and make sure there was no problem doing this.

Closed Thread