It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2008, 03:48 AM   #1
(female)

itsanewme HB User
drinking alcohol w/MS

Is it ok to drink alcohol (every day, every other day) with MS?
Do you have the "I may as well enjoy life" mentality?
Does it interfere w/IVs? DH has had an IV every day this wk (4)

Old 03-20-2008, 06:26 AM   #2
(female)

tarapags1107 HB User
Re: drinking alcohol w/MS

I don't think it can actually "help" anything to drink alcohol everyday or every other day. I do not yet have a diagnosis, but am pretty close, and have gone to several parties while I was stuggling with my symptoms in college. Alcohol depresses your CNS, so I did feel better at the time of drinking! All my twitches, and symptoms magically disappeared. However, I do stress that they came back with a vengeance once I was sober!! Let me tell ya. It would seriously take me about a week to recoup from a party instead of a day. I seldom ever drink now, and try to get plenty of rest at nights. I do not know if you are supposed to combine your medication with alcohol. I would definately ask your doctor. Good luck.
Tara

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-20-2008, 06:28 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Snoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB User

Yes you can drink with MS but, check with the doctor or Pharmacist about any interactions with medications.

Alcohol affects the Central Nervous System (CNS) as does MS. Some with MS find their symptoms get worse or they just don't feel good when drinking, others have no problems.

If someone is drinking because of a "might as well enjoy life" attitude then that person is self medicatiing and not dealing with life or the diagnosis of MS - in my personal opinion.

Old 03-20-2008, 12:47 PM   #4
(female)

jlbrow7 HB User

I have a drink about once a week and (don't laugh) my "drink" is always limited to about 1 or 2 inches of liquor, depending on what it is.

I have zero balance and liquor is not what I need. But I love the taste of certain types so much; it's a nice treat.

Old 03-20-2008, 01:52 PM   #5
(female)

ShelleyTab HB User

I try to avoid drinking. Once in a while i'll have a social drink, but if I have more than one I feel it for about a week. The next day I am usually not well (and I don't mean hungover) and all my symptoms seems to be magnified for about a week. I am on iv steroids, which causes stomach problems by itself, and if I drink at all it makes the stomach problems really act up for the entire next week. Not to mention the fact the fatigue for the next two days is unbearable.

But, of course, every person is different. I never had difficulty with alchol (not even hang overs) until my symptoms started getting more obvious, about a year ago. I guess my body just can't handle it anymroe. I think it is a personal decision based on your condiditon and how it effects you - and of course any interactions with medications you are currently on. Definately ask your doctor though
-Shell

Old 03-20-2008, 02:32 PM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

I totally agree with Shelleytab...never before in my life did I have a hangover, and now, when I have more than one drink, I feel it for days...Im assuming this is a hangover type feeling- but my MS gets so much worse when drinking.
Your question was specific to IVs though...you should NOT be drinking while taking IV drugs, including solumedrol- it can affect the medicine...
talk to his doctor about this...and talk to him about it- he isnt dealing with this well at all if he is taking that sort of attitude. MS doesnt kill you- and thus should be treated as something we can all manage if we choose to- by taking that attitude, he isnt doing himeslf or you any good.

Old 03-20-2008, 03:05 PM   #7
Facilitator
(male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User

If you take meds (whether OTC or Prescription), you should always avoid alcohol due to the increased risk of physiological damage. Personally I do not drink because I am already off-balanced!

Beer (any thing with a high concentration of Hops) has been shown to destroy cancer cells. (Higher hop concentration= dark beer, ale....)

Old 03-20-2008, 04:26 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

april1848 HB User

I have an occasional glass of wine. It definitely makes me more fatigued and worsens my balance, and one glass is my limit. I only have a drink when I'm at home with no major things to do the next day. Beyond that, it's fine for me. Be sure it doesn't interact with any meds though, and keep in mind that alcohol can dehydrate you. I don't know the exact interactions between alcohol and solu-medrol, but I know that if I had drank during an infusion it would have been bad. My stomach was a mess already!

I have to agree with Snoopy too, that if you're drinking to "enjoy life" to be very careful. For some people, that just doesn't work without serious consequences. I don't want to sound like a preacher, but many people will self-medicate for depression, boredom, what have you, with alcohol. Using alcohol to self-medicate is always a bad idea.
Stopped 4/10 due to no insurance.

Old 03-20-2008, 05:33 PM   #9
(female)

vonnag HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsanewme View Post
Is it ok to drink alcohol (every day, every other day) with MS?
Do you have the "I may as well enjoy life" mentality?
Does it interfere w/IVs? DH has had an IV every day this wk (4)
Because you are asking these questions DH's condition, I can't help but wonder.

Is it possible that you would answer these questions one way, and he would answer another?

Are you worried about the amount of alcohol he drinks, and his "I may as well enjoy life" mentality?

I may be reading too much into this post, but just wondering.

Old 04-08-2008, 12:27 PM   #10
(male)

asdf HB User

I was diagnosed with MS almost a year now, and have noticed a dramatic change in my reaction to alcohol. For one, it upsets my vertigo (BPPV more specifically) where I am more likely to have an attack one or two days following a night of drinking. It also makes me more fatigued for even up to 2 or 3 days after, including worsening physical/mental symptoms, and we're only talking a few beers here now.

No more for me, well at least not for now.

Old 04-08-2008, 01:33 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Nenu HB User

I stopped drinking completely 1.5 years ago (at least, can't recall the exact date) when I had daily headaches. Alcohol just made them worse, so I gave it up. Haven't looked back, and I don't miss it myself.

Old 04-09-2008, 02:39 AM   #12
(female)

parisiancat HB User

I think this is another case of everyone is different and everyone's MS is different!

Since I was dx with MS I haven't had a single hangover (and they used to be viscous)! But that might be because I've given up beer and switched to wine (gluten free).

Alcohol has never had an impact on my symptoms. Of course, too much drinking will affect my balance etc - but it will do the same to someone without MS.

Cat

Old 04-09-2008, 08:47 PM   #13
Veteran
(female)

Blessed4Life HB User

I do not have a diagnosis yet, but about 5 years ago I started noticing that drinking made me tired and lose balance. Since then I started skipping the "adult drinks" when I go out with the girls. Well, last month I was out with the girls and I figured I would have just one. Didn't take long for the drink to kick in. I was light headed and clumsy. That wasn't the worse part. The next morning I woke up and I could have sworn I had been hit by a bus on the way home. I ached all over. It took days to get back to the level of pain and discomfort that has come to be "normal" for me. I have officially given up alcohol. I'd much rather be the designated drinker than suffer for days.

Old 04-09-2008, 10:24 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Nenu HB User

That's my fear. After removing it from my weekly routine, I think 1 drink would likely do me in, and I never dealt well with the 'day after' myself. So I steer clear of it, water and coffee, and of course fruit juices.

Old 04-10-2008, 12:31 AM   #15
(female)

zadie HB User

parisiancat You know I have not suffered from hangovers anywhere near as bad as I used too.So far I dont have a problem with alcohol touch wood I really enjoy a glass of red or white infact I am having one now.( Its 5.30 in Australia while cooking dinner)

Michele

Last edited by zadie; 04-10-2008 at 12:32 AM.

Closed Thread