It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2008, 08:28 PM   #1
(female)

stephthepeach HB User
how long does it take to get an mri report back?

Hi all,
I have an MRI scheduled for tomorrow (not at my neurologist's office). I don't have another neurology appt. for two months. Anyone know when I'll be able to see the report regarding the MRI? Do I have to wait two months?
Thanks.

Old 04-11-2008, 08:43 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

april1848 HB User
Re: how long does it take to get an mri report back?

You shouldn't have to wait that long! You could call your doctor the day after the MRI and ask what the results are. Good luck!
Stopped 4/10 due to no insurance.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-11-2008, 08:57 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Nenu HB User

I've heard 7 days, but I think it all depends on how the results are handled and if they have to be sent elsewhere etc to be analyzed.

Old 04-12-2008, 07:13 AM   #4
Facilitator
(male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephthepeach View Post
Hi all,
I have an MRI scheduled for tomorrow (not at my neurologist's office). I don't have another neurology appt. for two months. Anyone know when I'll be able to see the report regarding the MRI? Do I have to wait two months?
Thanks.
When they ran me through the MRI, my results were back in two hours, but they ran me while I was an inpatient. Of course my doctor was waiting next door for them, so that sped things up.

I would wait until your next appointment. If you have them now you would have to read the reports and do your doctors job. If there is something that requires urgent attention, then they would contact you quickly. I would not worry about it and just keep living your life one day at a time.

Old 04-12-2008, 07:44 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

kimpossible67 HB User

Ask them in the MRI department how long it takes to go to medical records. Call the records department and request your MRI report and/our films or cd. I have gotten all of my hospital procedure results this way, the results to my LP, VEP, MRI and CT scan. I'm NOT a patient person.

Old 04-12-2008, 08:55 AM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

actually DO NOT LEAVE THE MRI CENTER without a copy of your films! You have the right to ask for them...they might offer you a CD or films, if you have a choice, take the films...they are easier to read and show more info..

As far as the report goes, that gets faxed to your doctor and is usually there within 24 hours. Its in your best interest to start a collection. Either call the doctors office 48 hours later and ask for the results BUT ALSO ASK THEM IF YOU CAN PICK UP A COPY OF YOUR REPORT or wait until you see the doctor and ask to be given a copy of the report but GET IT. I cant tell you how many times I have seen an eye doctor with eye pain, or an ortho guy with neck pain, who all know I have MS and want to see my latest MRI.....I always bring both my MRIs and my reports so that they have all the info they need. When I moved from Philly to Jersey, I had 8 MRIs with all the reports, my LP results, my blood work from the past 3 years (and thats alot, since I get it done quarterly) EVERYTHING. You never know who is going to ask you for it, but I can tell you that keeping a file on all this is critical and time saving, should you relapse!

Good luck..
N

Old 04-12-2008, 09:58 PM   #7
(female)

stephthepeach HB User
Re: lack of white spots on MRI means????

Wow everyone, thanks for the advice. I was worried about getting the IV for the contrast and that was pretty simple (even though she had trouble finding a vein) but the MRI itself was pretty intense. I kept my eyes closed the whole time...I was scared to open them b/c I was scared I would panic if I saw how closed in I was.
Anyway, I got a CD of my films and of course I looked at them. Other than one tiny white spot, on the top of three different views, I don't see any spots. I know I'm not a doctor, but doesn't that probably indicate that my symptoms are caused by something other than MS?
As always, everyone of you is wonderful...thanks for the help.

Old 04-12-2008, 10:54 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Nenu HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephthepeach View Post
Wow everyone, thanks for the advice. I was worried about getting the IV for the contrast and that was pretty simple (even though she had trouble finding a vein) but the MRI itself was pretty intense. I kept my eyes closed the whole time...I was scared to open them b/c I was scared I would panic if I saw how closed in I was.
Anyway, I got a CD of my films and of course I looked at them. Other than one tiny white spot, on the top of three different views, I don't see any spots. I know I'm not a doctor, but doesn't that probably indicate that my symptoms are caused by something other than MS?
As always, everyone of you is wonderful...thanks for the help.
It would be impossible for any of us to say if the MRI results you are looking at mean MS or not. There are cases of people being diagnosed with MS even after a negative MRI. Don't worry about that now, wait for the results to be explained by a trained eye.

It is fairly closed in in the MRI machine, but not as much as you'd imagine. I wasn't too scared. My biggest thing is needing warmth when I am nervous (because I get really cold and shaky) and they had me covered up with cozy warm hospital blankets, so it was really nice. Had my eyes covered up too, but I could see out from under a bit. The vibration of the machine made me want to sleep, so I closed my eyes and drifted, despite the muffled chug chug noises.

Old 04-13-2008, 04:44 AM   #9
Veteran
(female)

kimpossible67 HB User

Ok, this is only for the impatient ones! Go request your written report, it will more than likely spell it out on there. It should say where in your brain the white spots are and if it appears to be caused by demylination. I would have never gotten an ounce of info had I relied only on my pictures (til I went to the doctor). Good luck

Old 04-13-2008, 09:32 AM   #10
(female)

stephthepeach HB User
Lightbulb Re: how long does it take to get an mri report back?

Okay, I'll do that. Hopefully, I'll get the report tomorrow.

Blankets would have been great! I was so cold, but I welcomed feeling the air on my legs-b/c that helped me realize I wasn't completely closed in. But next time...blankets.

Closed Thread