It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2008, 07:12 PM   #1
(female)

LATW HB User
Question loss of sense of smell?

Any one have a loss of smell? I can not smell natural gas or my kids messy diapers.

My MS doctor said she would generally send someone with a loss of smell for an MRI to see if there was a tumor that was causing the problem but I had an MRI.

I told her I thought it was from my chronic allergies and sinus problems. She said sinus problems can cause loss of smell.

We didn't talk about if it could be related to MS but I do wonder. Anyone else have this problem? I am dx'd with MS so I am especially curious about those with a dx of MS.

LA

Old 04-29-2008, 07:16 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Nenu HB User
Re: loss of sense of smell?

Yes, loss of smell and taste. Both improved after steroids, but some days I notice one or the other is affected still.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-29-2008, 09:02 PM   #3
(female)

LATW HB User

Do you think it is MS related? I have not lost my taste but it has been affected.

LA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nenu View Post
Yes, loss of smell and taste. Both improved after steroids, but some days I notice one or the other is affected still.

Old 04-29-2008, 09:09 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Nenu HB User

I do believe so. I've seen various sources stating that taste and smell can be affected by MS.

Old 04-29-2008, 09:23 PM   #5
Facilitator
(male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LATW View Post
I can not smell my kids messy diapers.
Hmmm, that could be a blessing! But of course, being a guy, smells do not affect me like my wife. I think that she would say that I do not have a sense of smell, but I have not heard of MS causing a loss of smelling.

Old 04-30-2008, 06:35 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bearygood HB UserBearygood HB User

I'm just about positive I've seen this before. But don't worry -- this really could be temporary, even if it IS MS related!

Old 04-30-2008, 06:50 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Nenu HB User

I brought up the loss of smell/taste with my neurologist while we were discussing my symptoms I went through. Smell and taste were 2 senses that I noticed right as soon as a problem appeared, and he did tell me that MS can cause loss of these senses.

I should mention that often if you find 1 is affected (smell for example), you'll find that the other (taste) is affected.

I had 2 CTs/4 xrays of my head to determine specifically at the time if this was possibly sinusitis. Which it was not. I'm never stuffed up, even in allergy season where I do have allergies to certain things ... such as grass ;p.

Second edit! I should mention that I've experienced burning mouth, mouth pain... which I believe is neuralgia (as do my doctors), so it's entirely possible that my sense of smell was altered by the sense of taste, not the other way around.

Last edited by Nenu; 04-30-2008 at 06:54 AM.

Old 04-30-2008, 07:33 AM   #8
(female)

LATW HB User

Ok, that is what I thought too but I had a couple of posts on another list that said they didn't think it was MS related.

Really does not matter I guess. Except for the danger it creates when I don't get the stove lite and gas is leaking into the room.

That scares me. There have been several times when I lit the burner and it did not stay lit. Others came into the room and quickly opened the doors and windows.

I had no idea there was anything wrong. That bothers me.....

LA

Quote:
I do believe so. I've seen various sources stating that taste and smell can be affected by MS.

Old 04-30-2008, 08:09 AM   #9
Facilitator
(male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LATW View Post
Ok, that is what I thought too but I had a couple of posts on another list that said they didn't think it was MS related.

Really does not matter I guess. Except for the danger it creates when I don't get the stove lite and gas is leaking into the room.

That scares me. There have been several times when I lit the burner and it did not stay lit. Others came into the room and quickly opened the doors and windows.

I had no idea there was anything wrong. That bothers me.....

LA
If the gas smell is a danger due to your inability to notice it, please check with your gas company for assistance. There are different monitors available that can assist you.

Old 04-30-2008, 08:16 AM   #10
(female)

LATW HB User

We bought one that was specifically for gas. So far I have not had another time when the fire was not lit on the stove.

I have learned to MAKE SURE it lights before I walk away.

LA

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSJayhawk View Post
If the gas smell is a danger due to your inability to notice it, please check with your gas company for assistance. There are different monitors available that can assist you.

Old 04-30-2008, 08:20 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bearygood HB UserBearygood HB User

FYI, Burning Mouth Syndrome, aka Burning Tongue, is a real condition. It could be related to your TN but it can also be caused by other things, ie; yeast and very frequently, allergies to certain foods. I have a friend who thought he had NO allergies to foods but a doctor asked him to keep a journal of what he ate and voila! He discovered that it was in fact exacerbated by certain foods. He avoids them now and the problem has disappeared.

Old 04-30-2008, 09:20 AM   #12
(female)

LATW HB User

I also have that problem. Sometimes my tongue itches or feels numb on the side effected by TN. Or the inside of my cheek feels numb.

I have a terrible time with biting my cheek when I am chewing. I almost bite holes on the TN side.

Some of that is because of loss of sensitivity at times but the other seems to be because I loose coordination when I am chewing and bite right into my tongue or cheek.

My mouth gets very sore and I have to rinse with peroxide. I also have a geographic tongue.

Which really is not a big deal from what I understand.

I do have food allergies. Walnuts set my mouth on fire.

This is why I am wondering if my weird sense of smell is from MS or something else.

It seems like I would have an over all loss of smell if it were related to allergies or sinus problems.

MS is a weird enough condition to make is sensible, to me, to think you might only lose a sense of smell for certain things.

The only thing that makes me think it could be the MS is because I do not have a total loss of smell but only to certain odors. Does that make sense?

It is just so difficult to know what is normal and what isn't. I thought maybe some of this was happening because I am getting older. But at 45 I hope I am not old enough to start losing my senses! How depressing that would be.

LA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearygood View Post
FYI, Burning Mouth Syndrome, aka Burning Tongue, is a real condition. It could be related to your TN but it can also be caused by other things, ie; yeast and very frequently, allergies to certain foods. I have a friend who thought he had NO allergies to foods but a doctor asked him to keep a journal of what he ate and voila! He discovered that it was in fact exacerbated by certain foods. He avoids them now and the problem has disappeared.

Old 04-30-2008, 11:39 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Nenu HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearygood View Post
Yeah Beary, and that's what I believed I had for quite a long time. Maybe it was that. Doctors didn't take me seriously. It's calmed down significantly over time, but for a while was unbearable. TN may have been causing it most certainly. I still have TN pains occasionally, not the headaches, but the shock pain sometimes. As for allergies, I'm trying to think of what's changed in my diet since it began, and I can't think of anything. Maybe vitamins I've been taking?

Old 04-30-2008, 11:40 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Nenu HB User

I also have geographic tongue hun. Lovely isn't it? LOL. I also occasionally get the fissures. It comes and goes, but I've had ugly tongue since I was in grade 1.

Old 04-30-2008, 11:44 AM   #15
(female)

LATW HB User

Is yours painful? My doctor told me rinsing with peroxide would help and it has when my mouth and tongue are sore.

I don't think I have ever had a yeast infection in my mouth. But I do know what it is. In babies it is called Thrush. My mom gets it when she takes antibiotics.

LA

Quote:
I also have geographic tongue hun. Lovely isn't it? LOL. I also occasionally get the fissures. It comes and goes, but I've had ugly tongue since I was in grade 1.

Last edited by LATW; 04-30-2008 at 11:45 AM.

Closed Thread