It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2008, 05:55 PM   #1
(female)

Beccapooh HB User
Mouth sores

I was just wondering how many of y'all get sores in your mouth?

Mine are on the roof of my mouth and feel somewhat like burns, even though I haven't burned my mouth. The pain can last for days and days and makes eating very unpleasant.

Bec

Last edited by moderator2; 05-06-2008 at 06:08 PM. Reason: please read the policy and faqs instead of asking members

Old 05-06-2008, 05:58 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Wallis86 HB User
Re: Mouth sores

I get mouth sores pretty frequently, mostly on my gums towards the back of my mouth, but occasionally on my tongue and cheeks too. I know what you mean, they do feel like burns. Sometimes I wonder if I burned myself without realizing, but I think its just a result of autoimmune diseases. I don't know if the sores are MS, or one of the other diseases I have, but it seems that ALL autoimmune diseases cause them. They are miserable. I've tried gargling with salt water, but I think its more of a placebo effect than actually doing something.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-06-2008, 06:06 PM   #3
(female)

tarapags1107 HB User
Smile Re: Mouth sores

Hey becca-
I get these ALL the time~!!! In fact, I have 2 on my right side that are killing me right now.... I think if your immune system is comprised your more suceptible to getting chronic mouth ulcers. I rinse with salt and water to speed up recovery, not sure how much it actually works though!! I'm not sure about the poll option, maybe one of the veterans on here knows more about this. Thats a good question. I've also noticed that I get mouth ulcers more when I brush my teeth with a regular colgate toothpaste instead of sensidyne. There is some kinda chemical in some types of colgate (im not sure what its called) that my dentist told me can cause ulcers too...

Old 05-06-2008, 06:43 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

glamour girl HB User

Yes i heard salt & water rinse is great for the ulcers..
Tara,
What you said about colgate... blew me away.. you serious??
Tell ya one thing. When i'm stressed out MS stuff & all. I get cold sores on my lips. Smearing toothpaste actually clears that up... BIZZARE I found that tip on the Beauty boards here...

Old 05-06-2008, 06:53 PM   #5
(female)

tarapags1107 HB User

according to my dentist glam girl.... not sure what it is, I'll ask when I go next time and try to remember to post it.. thats ironic that you found completely opposite info from a board

Old 05-06-2008, 07:00 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Nenu HB User

We talking about canker sores or something else?

I've had canker sores for YEARS. Long as I can remember. I get them if I drink orange juice or if I bite my cheek/lip they sometimes develop as a result.

If you're referring to burning mouth (literally you can't see a sore developed, yet you feel like there's something there because you get a burning sensation in 1 area) I have that right now. Today my burning mouth is worse than it had been (honestly I think I'm at the beginning of a relapse, sigh). It mostly occurs on my top right side (gums, inside of right cheek and on the right side along the tongue, but also on top of the tongue). I get a soreness on the roof of my mouth as well (depending on how bad the rest of it is), and it can appear on the bottom of my mouth/left side depending on the severity/day.

Since getting burning mouth, the most relief I felt was after my steroid course was completed.

Closed Thread