It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2008, 09:46 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Kel123 HB User
Another MRI TUESDAY WITH CONTRAST AND XANAX!!!!

Hi there,

My first MRI was not a good experience. I found myself to be very claustrophobic, and the results were abnormal so I am having another one with contrast this time on Tuesday. My Dr. has given me 1 mg of xanax to take 30 mins before I go into the tunnel. For those of you with experience, is this enough time for it to have effect? Apparently my brain stem is showing some black holes near the red nucleus. 3 different neurologist think it looks odd even though the radiologist apparently did not make any note of it. I also have some lesions in the periventricular area. I am trying to convince myself that I can do this again! The last time I was in there for 2 hours (c-spine also) This will be at a different hospital on a different machine. The Dr.'s are puzzled and are hoping maybe it is an artifact or the way the machine's software was updated????? Anyone else with experience like this? Thanks again and wish me luck.

Kelley

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-11-2008, 09:59 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bearygood HB UserBearygood HB User
Re: Another MRI TUESDAY WITH CONTRAST AND XANAX!!!!

Hi, Kelley. I've never taken Xanax but I'd think the doctor would know the right dose. I'm a Valium girl on MRI days! I will give you some other tips though, this coming from someone who freaked out the first time she tried to get an MRI and bailed! But quite a few down now and I'm fine.

The singularly BEST tip I got was to close your eyes before they roll you in and keep them closed. Do NOT open them until it's over. I made the mistake of opening them when I was rolled in (that first time that I bailed, which was without my best friend valium!). The other great tip I got was from my PCP, who told me to ask for prism glasses. They're called different things in different places but essentially, most places have a mirror that they can strap onto the head gear -- so if you DO cheat and open your eyes, all you see is the opening at either end of the tube. I definitely recommend both of these.

You also have to find what works best for you. Some people like to have music -- I do not. I like to know what's going on and I can't stand the feeling of the earphones -- they make me feel more constricted. I play this little game and ask how many images they're going to be taking and I try to count the different sound sequences. Truth is, of course I'm always off -- I always come out sooner than I expect but the psychological feeling of my own personal "countdown" helps me to know that I'm one step closer to being finished. I have the earplugs they provide but of course, I can still hear what's going on and now, the sounds don't even bother me...I use the experience and the sounds to kind of meditate.

Music or not, re: the drugs, I will tell you that you really need to try to "give in" to them. Once you do, breathe deeply, keep those eyes closed and you'll be fine! Good luck -- YOU CAN DO IT!!

Last edited by Bearygood; 05-11-2008 at 10:00 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-11-2008, 11:22 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Nenu HB User

Definitely keep your eyes closed.. you don't need to look at an ugly machine anyways! Don't know about your warmth/heat tolerance, but I found that warm hospital blankets really helped me a lot to calm down, so if you want, ask if they have any blankets around. Music if available for sure... I just used earplugs provided, closed the eyes and concentrated on how nice the vibrations of the bed felt.

Old 05-11-2008, 12:55 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

Hi Kelly.
I have taken Xanax many times and YES 1/2 hour is plenty of time..howver, I question the dose. I take .25 mgs of Xanax, and can barely keep my eyes open when I take it. I can function, but NO WAY would I drive a car or try to do anything which included being 'aware"....1 mg is going to knock you out...youll be fine in the MRI, but are you taking someone with you to drive you home? Seriously, thats a very high dose...great for anti-anxiety, I doubt youll be upset about going into the test- but afterwards, please be careful....
the other side of it is Xanax can linger in the system up to 24 hours, so if you are doing anything that night- plan on sleeping off the aftereffects...it can also make you thirsty, so if that happens, be forewarned.

Best of luck/
Nikki

Last edited by MSNik; 05-11-2008 at 12:55 PM.

Old 05-11-2008, 01:18 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Kel123 HB User

Hi Nikki,
Yes, my husband will be with me, although I will have to make it outside the hospital doors to the car (he will probably be in the car with the 3 kids and dvd movie player on to keep them occupied.) My scan is scheduled when all 3 kids are home, and I can't find anyone to babysit yet. Maybe I will only take 1/2 tablet since I have never had it before. I am kind of a lightweight at about 114 pounds. Thanks for the info.
Kelley

Old 05-11-2008, 04:47 PM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

Kel, just fYI, I weigh 110 lbs, myself. im not used to taking any kind of drugs...so 1/4 of a mg (.25) is MORE than enough for me, as far as relaxing me and taking the edge off...even if you take 1/2 tab I would think it would defintaely suffice you, to get you thru the test, unless you think differently, taking the whole tab will alllow you to sleep thru it...talk to your doc if you can..
good luck..youll be fine. Its always easier the second time, becasue you know what to expect.
Nikki

Old 05-12-2008, 05:35 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

Kel123 HB User

Thanks Nikki,

I definitely do not want to sleep through it. I fell asleep for a short while last time, and started jerking in my sleep, and they had to repeat some of my c-spine! I will take your advice with the 1/4 and hopefully that will take the edge off for me and allow me to relax. I still have a knot in my shoulder/back from laying stiff for 2 hours last time. I was so tense the whole time, that was the worse!........Can you say...Hubby, massage tonight? Thanks for the pep talk.
Kelley

Old 05-14-2008, 05:02 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

Kel123 HB User

Well, I had my MRI yesterday. You were all right...knowing what to expect made it easier. I think the zanax finally worked at about 6 am this morning when it was time for me to get up and start my day! LOL I didn't feel a thing from it! Oh well, the mri was not that bad. It turns out that my first MRI was on a tesla 3, and this repeat one was on a 1.5 tesla...Did not make a whole lot of sense to me.

Anyway, the MRI was unchanged, still white matter changes in the periventricular area (mild) and a small 5x2 mm focus of increased signal on flair in the lateral wall of the left trigone of the lateral ventricle. No abnormal intercranial enhancement, and no change from previous one 2 weeks ago. I guess it is good I don't have all the brain stem lesions that they thought! I will talk to the neuro tomorrow about it. I have no idea what this means. Is this a lesion? Is it in a typical spot? It is only one, and it appears small (I think), so I guess that is good.

Thanks for all the help getting through the second MRI!!!

Kelley

Old 05-14-2008, 05:13 PM   #9
Facilitator
(female)

Hi Kelley. Glad to hear you survived it...Im not sure that the Xanax didnt work- the only thing it does is make you more relaxed and take the edge off....theres no "high" feeling to Xanax...so, maybe it did just enough to get you thru the test...whatever- Im glad you survived it! Let us know what the doc says..
Nikki

Closed Thread