It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2008, 09:25 AM   #1
(male)

Araneum HB User
Ideas for more independence

Hi

My sister is disabled with MS and I'm trying to find things that she can still do and which she can enjoy.

She's currently restricted to a wheelchair, reasonable mobility in her right arm and she can speak but not particularly clearly.

If anyone has come across any games or activities which helped them and that she might be able to do I would really appreciate any ideas.

Currently I was thinking maybe something like the PS itoy, but open to any ideas.

Many thanks

David

Old 05-24-2008, 11:41 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

april1848 HB User
Re: Ideas for more independence

How about the Wii? I have no experience with it but I know it's used as physical therapy for those who are disabled.
Stopped 4/10 due to no insurance.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-24-2008, 12:40 PM   #3
Facilitator
(male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User

We have a Wii. Though I can hardly keep up with either of my sons, it is fun. I also can crochet. Crocheting is good exercise for finger dexterity and coordination. My rehab nurse had me building with Legos back in 2002. I still do Legos and puzzles with my sons.

With a good power chair, fishing and hunting are still within my ability. In Kansas disabled hunters can shoot from their vehicles.

When my right arm was incapacitated, I learned how to use my left hand.

Basically, your sister can do whatever she wants with little or no help. The only "real" obstacle is in her mind. I say give her free rein and watch out!

Old 05-24-2008, 01:01 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Nenu HB User

I play online games. Not scrabble or pictionary.. 3D roleplaying games. Totally immerse myself into them Plus I'm playing with hundreds of other live people, who I also talk to over voice chat, so you can imagine it takes my mind off being sick or having a bad day!

Old 05-24-2008, 04:26 PM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

Ive also been told that playstation's handheld games are good for people with MS, especially games like BrainAge, which challenge the mind..Ive played it myself and found it incredibly easy to manage- someone in a wheel chair could probably handle it, with mobility in at least one hand..

I also use a voice recognition softwear program..depending on how good or bad her speech is, it helps me when my hand isnt cooperating, and I cant type well....the program is Dragon Naturally and its highly recommended for people with typing disabilities..using this, it can be used for any computer needs- will help to play games, talk to others in chat rooms, etc...

Old 05-24-2008, 05:04 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

kimpossible67 HB User

I also crochet and knit, I find these activities to be stress relieving (where's my yarn????!) and soothing. Not to mention it is a glorified sensory experience with all the new and beautiful yarns out there. I find crochet faster but more stress on my hands, I like knitting because it's easier on my hands but much, MUCH slower. It helps me to concentrate and relax.

Old 05-24-2008, 05:16 PM   #7
Facilitator
(male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimpossible67 View Post
I also crochet and knit, I find these activities to be stress relieving (where's my yarn????!) and soothing. Not to mention it is a glorified sensory experience with all the new and beautiful yarns out there. I find crochet faster but more stress on my hands, I like knitting because it's easier on my hands but much, MUCH slower. It helps me to concentrate and relax.
My late uncle crocheted string from feed bags when he was young. He made center pieces and doilies. The cotton string during the depression was cheaper than yarn. I was never fast at crocheting, but I agree that it works the brain too! I have never attempted knitting. My aunt still spins her own yarn with her own fleece. I thought that was an interesting thing to do too.

I have found that mind games that tax the brain can give me a good indicator as to my ability for the day. Sometimes a game with a simple solution can seem like Advanced Calculus and then the next day it is "Doh!"

Old 05-25-2008, 07:42 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

april1848 HB User

I hear that Jayhawk. I love crossword puzzles. One day I can finish it, and the next day I'm lucky to get two words right.
Stopped 4/10 due to no insurance.

Old 05-25-2008, 08:56 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Nenu HB User

Crosswords!!! OMG! I forgot all about them. Definitely going to buy a book of them and work away. I loved doing logic puzzles as well. I could only get to the 3 star (of 5) difficulty, and I failed at some of the 3 star puzzles at that. The things are tough, but they keep the mind going!

Old 05-25-2008, 03:29 PM   #10
(female)

taosdaphne HB User

I think a power scooter is essential. I usedd to be Ms. Outdoors--hiking, kayaking, horseback riding, trail running, birdeatching, snoeshoeins and xc skiing, etc. xcept for the horse. who tolerates my clumsy mounting and *tries* to trot more smoothly, but it's not in his anatomy. But I can only go for a 1/2 hr or so. so can't trail ride--feel as if I'm going to slide right out of the saddle.

But a good power chair or scooter can let you tool around the mall or smooth sidewalks. I live in a teensy town (no mall!) and the sidewalks and roads are terriby rutted, but I manage. And when we've got the RV and can haul the scooter, I'm gone into the woods and don't want to see ANYONE. My partner wants to come with me for safety reasons, but that's why I carry a whistle. I need time by mysef, and I need it out of doors.

Old 05-25-2008, 05:03 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

glamour girl HB User

Araneum~ I think you started a great thread for everyone here too. Its a simple reminder of the things we can do too..
I'd love to learn how to knit or crochet.. Something i haven't thought about til now.
I did get the Wii Fit for mothers day .. love it.
I've learnt to play that PSP games too. Lots of fun. Well maybe not when you have a 10 yr old daughter telling you she's better and kicks my butt.. Cheeky hmm ??

Old 05-25-2008, 05:19 PM   #12
(female)

zadie HB User

Hey glamour girl I also got wii fit for mothers day and so two did two of my girlfriends the advertising guys certainly made a mark in Melbourne. Have you tried the yoga stands never shaken so much in my life thought it was me until my kids did it and they had a worse result than me.

Old 05-25-2008, 05:40 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

glamour girl HB User

Hey zadie~ How are you girl ?? Yes i love the yoga stands... too funny. The first time was so hard. I wobbled more than jelly on a plate. But great stuff on there especially for MS's.
Hubby got it from K'Mart @ the midnight shopping. Waited in queue for it. it was so popular. One of the best things his bought for me. Although I'm sure thee no need to tell ya. he uses it more than me and the kids.
How you going with yr health. haven't seen you here in a while.

You can start a new thread, oops i dont want to jump on anyone thread. Sorry Araneum.

Closed Thread