It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-28-2008, 07:58 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

anxiousme HB Useranxiousme HB Useranxiousme HB User
exacerbation or just effects of way too much stress?

How do I know if I'm having an exacerbation or just normal MS things. Last week was really stressful at work, home, etc... I traveled to 3 meetings (2hrs away). I also had all of the mom duties I typically have. I'm burnt out and can't seem to slow down.

Now this week, I'm paying. My legs are achy, tingling, my hip/butt hurts (like my siatic nerve), my eyes feel week, tired, and a little blurry.

I don't now if this is an exacerbation or just too much stress. I hate to think that I've put myself in a bad spot. I was dx 2 years ago and haven't had an exacerbation since. I attribute that to Avonex. I don't want to think that my Avonex is failing. I feel like lesions are forming as I speak. So scared!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-28-2008, 08:39 PM   #2
Facilitator
(male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User
Re: exacerbation or just effects of way too much stress?

It is what it is....calling it an exacerbation or calling it a bump in your road does not change anything in my opinion. When you are feeling like you are, slow things down and take care of your body. You are useless to help anyone if you are incapacitated due to over-doing it.

Just keep on keeping on and throw your fears away.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-28-2008, 11:46 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Snoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB User

Anxiousme,

It's very possible you have simply over done it and your body is complaining.

We have very normal lives just like those without MS. When you have MS and your trying to accomplish lifes tasks and/or just out enjoying yourself you might find you need more time to recover from all of the activity you have done.

It doesn't mean your having an exacerbation it just means your body needs some down time.

Old 05-29-2008, 11:34 AM   #4
(male)

mitch512u HB User

Went to the ,supposedly, largest High school fair in the U.S. just last Saturday. I walked...a lot. It is now Thursday and my legs are still more twitchy than usual. Get's better each day though. Chances are your body just needs to settle down.

Neil

Old 05-29-2008, 11:39 AM   #5
(male)

johndo555 HB User

Mitch:

Do you mean that you have nerve jumping on your legs (such as it happens with an eyelid) when you talk about being more "twitchy" ?

Thanks

J

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch512u View Post
Went to the ,supposedly, largest High school fair in the U.S. just last Saturday. I walked...a lot. It is now Thursday and my legs are still more twitchy than usual. Get's better each day though. Chances are your body just needs to settle down.

Neil

Old 05-29-2008, 11:47 AM   #6
(male)

mitch512u HB User

John,
More or less. Driving home yesterday both legs began jumping/moving back and forth. Imagine if you will being seated with both feet flat on the floor, now move your knees rapidly side to side, and I mean rapidly. Today, however, is different in that there is no noticable movement. It's just more of an awareness of a warm and pulsating feeling in my thighs. The sensations are difficult to describe.

Neil

Old 05-29-2008, 12:01 PM   #7
(male)

johndo555 HB User

Thanks for the follow-up.

On my side I have both twitching (nerve jumping) and also the vibrating feelign when it gets hot or if I exhaust myself. the vibrating feeling is similar to standing on a floor above a train station, it feels as if the ground oscilating quickly...

J

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch512u View Post
John,
More or less. Driving home yesterday both legs began jumping/moving back and forth. Imagine if you will being seated with both feet flat on the floor, now move your knees rapidly side to side, and I mean rapidly. Today, however, is different in that there is no noticable movement. It's just more of an awareness of a warm and pulsating feeling in my thighs. The sensations are difficult to describe.

Neil

Old 05-29-2008, 03:37 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

anxiousme HB Useranxiousme HB Useranxiousme HB User

Yes, that's the feeling...nerve jumping and vibrating. I continue to have symptoms. In the mornings I feel ok, but by mid-day all of these feelings kick in, especially the tired eyes and weird eye feelings. I haven't lost sight, had vertigo, or nystagmus like the exacerbation that dx me. I just feel like I ran myself so ragged over the last few weeks. This week I have been working from home, TRYing to get a nap (can't sleep during the day), and basically just putting my feet up more. Hasn't helped yet. This is the first time I have had minor problems since my initial dx. I don't like it... I guess I just need to accept that it is going to happen. It is just a reminder that I do infact have MS. I will be curious to see what my next MRI looks like. I'm not due for one until August. Meanwhile, took my Avonex shot today. I pray it's continuing to work for me.

Thanks for the responses

Old 05-29-2008, 09:22 PM   #9
(male)

johndo555 HB User

anxiousyou(!)

For me its exactly the same thing (though I have not been diagnosed-yet).
In the mornings when I get out of bed I feel ok but as soon as I start burning some energy (walking to get the bus or something) the twitching and stuff begins I later during the day I have a harder time focusing my eyes... Hang in there, it's weird, but we're not alone!

J

Quote:
Originally Posted by anxiousme View Post
Yes, that's the feeling...nerve jumping and vibrating. I continue to have symptoms. In the mornings I feel ok, but by mid-day all of these feelings kick in, especially the tired eyes and weird eye feelings. I haven't lost sight, had vertigo, or nystagmus like the exacerbation that dx me. I just feel like I ran myself so ragged over the last few weeks. This week I have been working from home, TRYing to get a nap (can't sleep during the day), and basically just putting my feet up more. Hasn't helped yet. This is the first time I have had minor problems since my initial dx. I don't like it... I guess I just need to accept that it is going to happen. It is just a reminder that I do infact have MS. I will be curious to see what my next MRI looks like. I'm not due for one until August. Meanwhile, took my Avonex shot today. I pray it's continuing to work for me.

Thanks for the responses

Closed Thread