It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-16-2008, 07:27 AM   #1
(female)

LAW30 HB User
when your finger go numb in Ms what is happening?

when your finger go numb in MS what is happening? Will it get worse? How long does it sometimes last? Do you need any treatment?

Old 06-16-2008, 10:54 AM   #2
(female)

Canadian gal HB UserCanadian gal HB UserCanadian gal HB UserCanadian gal HB User
Re: when your finger go numb in Ms what is happening?

Assuming you have been assessed for Carpal Tunnel (which only effects 3 fingers, not all 5), then this is likely a MS symptom. I know that I get it from my spinal lesions, because it comes on at the same time as all my other spinal lesion symptoms (in an attack).

It can be EXTREME, including a feeling like your hands are encased in cement, swollen, numbness, hot/cold sensitive, OR it can be a more minor annoyance. It can let up after the attack (if it came on with one), or it can stay forever. The sensation can fluctuate as well, day to day, hour to hour.

I had it for two years once, and LDN took it away. After another spinal lesion attack that started last Oct, it has let up substantially, but is still there to some degree.

Cherie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-16-2008, 01:19 PM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

Hi 2 years ago, I woke up with tingling/burning in 3 fingers and also assumed it was Carpal Tunnel....after that was ruled out, I was sent home to ponder why I could no longer use most of my left hand...within 2 weeks it was my entire left hand and all 5 fingers..I wound up in the ER thinking Stroke! That ruled out, they thought pinched nerve...that CT led to a Neuro consult, MRIs etc and eventually an MS dx..
Its now been 2 full years and I have no use of my left hand or fingers..it hurts ALL the time! I cant stand the pain in the humidity or heat...thats the worst for me..
Nothing has helped...PT, Nerve Blocks, Shots in my spine- Accupuncture- nothing, however I do not have any lesions showing up in my spine..but over 50 in my brain..
good luck, I know how painful/frustrating it can be.
Nikki

Old 06-16-2008, 05:01 PM   #4
Facilitator
(male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User

I have MS and my finger numbness is mainly on my 3 outer fingers. Sometimes it affects my thumb and index finger. I soak my hands in cold water (sometimes ice cold) and the numbness abates.

Old 06-16-2008, 08:59 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

glamour girl HB User

I have pain in my fingers too. sometimes it get so bad i just wanna scream. I dont really have feeling in my fingertips under the nail.
Dont take anything for it either. I pop enogh meds..
I rise through my pain and ponder through another day. The comes and goes. Hope goes too.

Old 06-17-2008, 07:21 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Nenu HB User

I don't get pain in my fingers, but I do get numbness in mine.

In fact, the last 3 fingers on my right hand going numb was common for me. Actually, I just figured for the longest time it was due to how much I was on the computer and using my mouse with that hand. I had our 'wellness' lady at work come to my desk and adjust my monitor/chair etc to try and fix the numbness, that she believed was due to posture.

I never even imagined that MS may be causing that, and it didn't resolve after the adjustments. It's resolved now, no surprise it was resolved after I had my steroid treatment the first time.

I still do get numbness in my hands, but it doesn't bother me beyond a day.

Old 06-19-2008, 08:53 PM   #7
(female)

msmything HB User

I've had numbness in my fingers/hands for about a year now, also intentional tremor. (not so fun to control when I'm aiming to insert a folet cath into a patient.LOL)
Sometimes, when I have a rare blessed full night of sleep, i can feel most of my right hand.
The numbness got really bad, spread up to about my mid forearm. I did the 3 day IVSM, no relief.
I'm visiting the neuro soon with the new MRI they did whileI was in the hospital for the solumedrol.
I was thinking that there might be an active lesion in the cervical area, I'll certainly let you know.
I also see a chiropractor a few times a month, an adjustment used to decrease the numbness temporarily.
Does anyone think it's related to L'Hermittes sign?

Old 06-19-2008, 09:07 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Nenu HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmything View Post
I've had numbness in my fingers/hands for about a year now, also intentional tremor. (not so fun to control when I'm aiming to insert a folet cath into a patient.LOL)
Sometimes, when I have a rare blessed full night of sleep, i can feel most of my right hand.
The numbness got really bad, spread up to about my mid forearm. I did the 3 day IVSM, no relief.
I'm visiting the neuro soon with the new MRI they did whileI was in the hospital for the solumedrol.
I was thinking that there might be an active lesion in the cervical area, I'll certainly let you know.
I also see a chiropractor a few times a month, an adjustment used to decrease the numbness temporarily.
Does anyone think it's related to L'Hermittes sign?
Hrm, hard to say, does this only happen when you bend your neck so your chin's touching your collarbone? That's how my L'Hermittes presented itself.

I'd bend my neck, and bam, numb hands, electrical sensation in my back.

When I lifted my head, it was gone. I could do it over and over and reproduce it each time.

It was so distinct, it could have only been L'Hermittes, and that's when I first suspected MS in my case.

Old 06-21-2008, 07:30 AM   #9
(female)

Canadian gal HB UserCanadian gal HB UserCanadian gal HB UserCanadian gal HB User

In short, there are three nerves that run from the spinal cord (T1 - C4) to the hand; ulnar, radial and median.

Each of those three nerves has it's own purpose, and travels a slightly different route from the spine to the shoulder, then down to the hands. These nerves carry signals back and forth from the brain to the muscles that move the arm, hand, fingers, and thumb. They can be damaged anywhere along the track, from the spinal cord to the wrist, which may cause numbness or muscle weakness.

Carpel Tunnel is caused by affects to the median nerve, which passes through a tunnel in the wrist called the “carpel tunnel”. This nerve gives sensation to the palm, sides of the thumb, pointer, middle, and the inside half of the ring finger. It also has a nerve branch that is connected to the thenar muscles of the thumb, which enables us touch the pad of our thumb to the tips each of each finger (for those who've had that neurological test before).

The radial nerve travels down the outer thumb side of the arm, gives sensation to the back of the hand from the thumb to the third finger. It also goes to the back of the thumb and just beyond the main knuckle of the back surface of the ring and middle fingers.

The ulnar nerve supplies feeling to the little finger and half the ring finger, and supplies the small muscles in the palm. This gives us our grip, and allows the muscle to pulls the thumb toward the palm.

In my case, my numbness came on with my spinal lesion attacks, and the numbness includes every finger, plus the palm. Clearly there is some damage right at the spinal cord level, in my case, due to the extent of the damage. I suppose any (or all) of the three nerves can be temporarily or permanently affected, by spinal lesions.

On the other hand, something like Carpel Tunnel can occur for people with no spinal issues what-so-ever . . . just damage to that nerve somewhere along it's path. I guess that would be true for any of the three nerves.

Cherie

Last edited by Canadian gal; 06-21-2008 at 07:31 AM. Reason: spelling

The Following User Says Thank You to Canadian gal For This Useful Post:
dogmum (01-26-2012)
Old 06-21-2008, 07:38 AM   #10
Facilitator
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

Cherie, I found this really interesting, thanks. I fall under the catagory you described as the radial nerve..my ring and middle fingers, right from the knuckle to the tips are completely numb and very painful...I wish the word numb wasnt used- numb implies that you cant feel anything. I can feel it, and it hurts all the time! Its more of a burning numbness, and tingling, and sometimes kind of like an arthritis type pain...they havent been able to do anything for me at all.
I do NOT have any lesions on my Cspine or T spine, unless at last MRI (5 months) ago, they were still too small to notice..however, its been 2 years of MRIs every 6 months, and nothing has ever showed up. Strange, huh? I do have serious back pain in the muscle which also pushes against the nerves leading down the arm....last month, I had a steroid injection into the muscle, it was just starting to work when I was invovlved in the car accident, which threw everything out of wack..im curious to see when those muscles stop hurting if my back pain will subside at all...meanwhile, my hand is still just the same as its always been for the past two years...this was my onset symtom. The reason that I followd up with a doc, first ruling out Carpal Tunnel, then a pinched nerve...eventually showing lesions and a trip to a Neuro....the rest is history.
But thanks for explaining this to us..it helped me to put my pain into perspective.
Nikki

Old 06-21-2008, 09:09 AM   #11
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSNik View Post
Cherie, I found this really interesting, thanks. I fall under the catagory you described as the radial nerve..my ring and middle fingers, right from the knuckle to the tips are completely numb and very painful...I wish the word numb wasnt used- numb implies that you cant feel anything. I can feel it, and it hurts all the time! Its more of a burning numbness, and tingling, and sometimes kind of like an arthritis type pain...they havent been able to do anything for me at all.
I do NOT have any lesions on my Cspine or T spine, unless at last MRI (5 months) ago, they were still too small to notice..however, its been 2 years of MRIs every 6 months, and nothing has ever showed up. Strange, huh? I do have serious back pain in the muscle which also pushes against the nerves leading down the arm....last month, I had a steroid injection into the muscle, it was just starting to work when I was invovlved in the car accident, which threw everything out of wack..im curious to see when those muscles stop hurting if my back pain will subside at all...meanwhile, my hand is still just the same as its always been for the past two years...this was my onset symtom. The reason that I followd up with a doc, first ruling out Carpal Tunnel, then a pinched nerve...eventually showing lesions and a trip to a Neuro....the rest is history.
But thanks for explaining this to us..it helped me to put my pain into perspective.
Nikki
Yes, "numb" doesn't describe it very well, does it?

It may be that you have some other spinal or radial nerve damage that is causing this . . . not necessarily related to the MS. Or, as you said, it may be that the MS lesions are yet too small to observe by MRI, but NOT too small to do their damage.

My spinal lesions are very large, about 2 sections AFTER healing from acute inflammation. They have been very active, so it makes things easier to figure out for me. I guess it would be kinda like the extremes of any spinal cord damage; from the Christopher Reeves scenario, right down to people who recover with no permanent damage.

Cherie

Old 06-21-2008, 05:34 PM   #12
Facilitator
(female)

hey Cher- I do have some slight compression in the C4-C5-area..and slight bulging of the disc, it also says slight stenpsos and slight herniation..with all the "Slights" Im having major pain! I dont know for sure if this is what is causing the nerve damage in my hand or not...Ive had everything from evoked potentials to something called a 3 phase bone scan..nothing showed up abnormal..

the shot (prendisone) that he did in my muscle last week helped somewhat to aliviate the pain...accupuncture helped but for only an hour at a time...no one seems to know for sure- but I have MRIs in August again, and theyll do my entire spine and brain yet again. I spend more time in that TUBE! Good thing it really doesnt bother me..pretty pathetic when the only time you can get away from it all is to be in an MRI machine!

thanks for the info..
N

Old 06-22-2008, 10:03 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

april1848 HB User

Thanks for the great info on spinal lesions, Cherie. If memory serves, and it may not, I have 7 on my spine. I haven't had too many problems with my hands though, besides weakness and a very bad grip! I can't open some things anymore.

Nikki, I'm glad that the shot seemed to work a little bit! I like MRIs too. So peaceful!
Stopped 4/10 due to no insurance.

Old 07-09-2008, 12:01 PM   #14
(male)

DavidLeeK HB User

thanks for the link to this thread Cherie, it explains alot to me and what i've been going through

and the feeling that its not really numb is true also, there is some feeling there, but its more pain and tingling to the severe side, although i can't feel the keys much on the keyboard when typing this

i do hope it gets better for me, as being right handed and its on my right hand, fingers, arm and shoulder, it is pretty debilitating for the things i'm used to doing

the neurologist believes it will go away, which i hope it does, i know they always speak in a positive sense

thanks again
dave

Old 07-09-2008, 12:08 PM   #15
Facilitator
(female)

Hi Dave...I hope what I say doesnt depress you- but I wanted to let you know your not alone. In 2006 I woke up one morning feeling like my fingers and hand were asleep. The tingling burning sensation that you know, when your foot falls asleep? that was me...2 days later, it turned to excruiating pain and I went to see my doc, thinking Carpal Tunnel...he tested me for that, and it wasnt- then sent me for a CT scan thinking pinched nerve...it was then, that they discovered over 50 lesions on my brain. 2 years later, my fingers and hand are completely useless- and hurt all the time. Nothing has helped, not Neurontin, Lyrica, PT or Accupuncture. Ive tried it all.
THey say now, it is intense nerve damage caused by my MS- and because this was the onset of my symtoms, they figure that Id had it for quite a while and not known about it...

A year later, after dx- I went for a routine MRI and it was discovered that I have compression in my C4-C5-C6 area, caused by a bulging disc...is it related? I dont know. Just last month, I went for an injection into my disc area- to relieve some of the pressure. It honestly helped for less than a week, and started back up again...during that week, there was no differnce in my hand/finger pain..so I doubt very much the two are related..

But, your not alone- this may very well be a MS thing which unfortatunately isnt going to change for me.. i hope it does, for you.

Nikki

Closed Thread