It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2008, 02:28 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

april1848 HB User
Did Something I Swore I Wouldn't--Disclosure at Work

Hello Friends,

Today was interesting. I've been at my new job for about a month now, and today I recieved an award for "going above and beyond and serving the community". I was very pleased, to say the least. This award was given by a big-wig, not my supervisor. My supervisor doesn't like me very much, but since she's on her way out, it doesn't bother me so much. She was not happy that I got this award, and to "punish" me, she told her boss (the woman who hired me) that I take too many bathroom breaks.

So the woman who hired me, Mrs. X, called me into her office. She began by congratulating me on the award, and the work I've been doing. Then she brought up the bathroom breaks, and asked if there was anything I wanted to tell her. I didn't know what to say. Then she said that my previous boss (the evil jerk) had told MANY people, including her and my new CEO, that I had MS. He told them this soon after my diagnosis, at a big meeting. I was floored, and very upset, but I held back tears. I told Mrs. X that I do have MS, and told her the real reason why I had left my last job. She started to cry, and hugged me--she actually held me for a few minutes! Mrs. X is around my age, and told me that we were kindred spirits, and have a lot in common.

Mrs. X then told me that she worked for the NMSS during college, and did an internship at an MS clinic. She has two aunts with MS, and she seems to know more about MS than I do! She told me that she and the CEO obviously knew I had it when I sent in my resume, but they didn't think it mattered at all--she said the CEO was thrilled to have me regardless. She told me to use the bathroom whenever I felt like it, she said that I can start my day an hour earlier if I want to, whenever I want to, without my supervisor's permission. She said that if I ever need another IV Steroid treatment, to feel free to take time off. She also said that if I'm ever having a bad MS day, that I was free to vent to her, her office is always open to me. She said that if I ever need any other accomodations, that they would be granted. She also said that if I ever need to call off sick, that I don't need to tell my supervisor why; Mrs. X will handle any problems that may arise with my boss.

She said she had noticed things, like my hands shaking, and my "withering" throughout the day, but that my work is outstanding, and she wouldn't have noticed it if she didn't already know. When I first started this job, the HR lady told me about the $3,000.00 deductible; she also told me that the company would pay $1,000.00 after I had met $2,000.00. She had told me that the CEO wanted this as an incentive to work there. Mrs. X told me today that she made this happen, because she knows very well how expensive MS drugs are. I was floored, still am.

So I disclosed today, and it was a very positive experience. It was a strange day. First I was ecstatic and proud about winning an award. Then I was hurt and angry that my boss made an issue of me peeing! Then I was touched, relieved, and thrilled with Mrs. X. After the experience I had at my last job, I just can't believe it. I had vowed that I'd never tell anyone at work. Turns out they knew before they hired me, and I can't tell you how happy and proud that made me.

I kind of feel like my faith in humankind has been restored a bit. I feel extremely blessed. I cried all the way home, thanking God over and over that everything I went through, all the bad stuff, brought me to this place, where my MS is no big deal and my work is appreciated. I just wanted to share this. It's a huge deal to me, and I am extremely happy! It feels nice to have self-confidence again too!
Stopped 4/10 due to no insurance.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-26-2008, 02:57 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

cindys601 HB User
Re: Did Something I Swore I Wouldn't--Disclosure at Work

Hi April~

What turned out to be your worste fear, flipped around and made your day!! Thats so great. See, things do happen for a reason. If you hadn't changed jobs, you never would have made it to a person who can offer so much support and confidence in your life, when you needed it most!!

I am really happy for you and love hearing the happy endings and the thrill in your post. You should be so proud of your accomplishments!!

Stand proud!! You deserve the recognition!!

Take care~

Cindy

Old 06-26-2008, 02:59 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Nenu HB User

April, I almost cried reading your story. For you and your happiness. Very touching.

It is nice to read that such a positive change has happened in your life, and now you have an at work support network. Isn't that a great feeling? We need more employers like this. You're blessed girl!

Old 06-26-2008, 03:25 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

april- when I read the topic of your post, I immediately thought "oh no, what has she done?" Then, I read the post and smiled for you. Congrats girl- thats HUGE. Congratulations on the award and congratulations on the support. Heck, you almost restored my faith in humanity, but youll have to read my post to decide if I can really go that far yet!
I just knew this would work out for you in the long run...you deserved it!
Hugs
Nikki

Old 06-26-2008, 04:32 PM   #5
Facilitator
(male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User

You are blessed. Thank you for sharing!!

Old 06-26-2008, 04:54 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

april1848 HB User

I still can't believe what happened today. Two months ago, if someone had told me this would happen, I would have laughed at them. The whole experience just makes me want to work harder and go even more above and beyond--I'll do anything for this company now. They took a financial risk, knowingly, to hire me, and I want to repay them.

Mrs. X even said that this will be a positive thing for the company, that me having MS will allow me to relate to our clients better, many of whom are disabled. She also told me I could park in the handicapped spots--we have a lot, but most of our disabled clients ride the bus. Since the people that matter already know I have MS, I will park there if I ever need to. It doesn't really matter now if anyone else I work with knows.

Another great thing I forgot to mention...we have an employee, a nurse, who has been teaching the mentally ill and/or physically disabled how to exercise appropriately. Every day, she has an exercise class for employees. Mrs. X suggested that I tell this nurse about it, so I can learn how to exercise safely. Mrs. X knows a LOT about MS, and she said the MS/Exercise combo is confusing.

This whole thing proves to me that if you truly deserve something, and you've prayed or meditated on it a lot, and allowed yourself to be open to big changes, you will be rewarded. I feel extremely blessed, humbled, and happy about the future. I can't wait to tell my husband about this; he's been so worried about my work situation, and who can blame him after what has happened? It's nice to work for a company that practices what they preach.

Nikki, please be open to the fact that this can happen in your situation too. I certainly never thought anything this nice would happen to me. There are, thank goodness, truly wonderful people and companies out there. I feel on top of the world, like I just won the lottery. I'm looking forward to the day that will come soon when you're feeling the same, and I have complete faith that it will happen!

Old 06-27-2008, 08:39 AM   #7
(female)

jlbrow7 HB User

YOWSA!!! Go April!

Old 06-27-2008, 09:07 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

cindys601 HB User

Hi April~

Its so amazing that such a small act of kindness can touch someones life like this did yours. And I bet mrs X doesn't even realize the impact she made.

Alot of bosses think they can demand and intimidate us to gain a great employer when its comepletely just the opposite. If they just open they're hearts and show us a small bit of compassion and kindness, it builds up the confidence within us, we in turn, have much more respect for them and are willing to give all we have to please them.

Things definately do happen for a reason, April. I'm sure when you took this job, you had your fears but now that the doors have been opened, you can be yourself and shine!!

I'm so happy for you!!

Take care

Cindy

Old 06-27-2008, 11:10 AM   #9
(female)

Canadian gal HB UserCanadian gal HB UserCanadian gal HB UserCanadian gal HB User

This is so nice to read, April.

I also had a lot of support from my employer before I medically retired. I had done so well with my MS over the years prior, I was starting to believe I didn't even have it. I was only a "permanent" employee for about 6 months when the MS took a turn for the worst, and this company accommodated me in every possible way. I too was blessed.

Thanks for sharing that. Your superior is an angel.

Cherie

Old 06-27-2008, 12:09 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bearygood HB UserBearygood HB User

April, this is amazing! (And rare!!) I am really, really happy that you landed where you did. Even though my sx do not consume me and my MS is not "noticeable", not a day goes by where I don't think about having MS several times and I wish I didn't have to have such a big secret!

Congrats on the award as well!!

Old 06-28-2008, 08:04 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

april1848 HB User

Thanks everyone! I wish every employer was like this; there are so many career-oriented threads on this site (half probably mine) and it shouldn't be that way.

I had another great day yesterday, and Mrs. X sent me an email reminding me to let her know if I need any accomodations. The CEO came to me and said he's glad I talked to Mrs. X about all of this, and that his door is also open to me if I encounter any problems.

When I left my last job, I was so down that I was ready to take any job, whether I liked it or not. I just didn't care at all, and I figured that I was doomed for life where my career was concerned. I had no ambition, no confidence in my abilities, nothing. I considered for awhile going on disability, even though I feel that I don't need it yet, just because I didn't want to deal with all this work-related emotional pain again. My previous boss pretty much had me convinced that my career life was over; he actually told me to go on disability, and that I would be a huge liability to anybody that hired me. I believed him. I regret that I stayed there as long as I did, but I am glad I worked there because I learned a lot and met some great contacts.

My husband is thrilled, and I had a long talk about this last night with my best friend (the best best friend in the world, closer than my sisters) and she cried. This new job is a complete 180 from the last job, and she knows everything that I've been thru with the last job (and with everything that has happened since we were 9). She is a big reason why I haven't let MS completely ruin my life. I don't believe in coincidences, and a few days ago, the company she works for moved their location...she now works in a building right behind mine, separated by a small field! Now we can take our breaks and lunches together, and I'm really happy about that too!

I felt so happy driving to work yesterday, and I got so much work done. What they have done for me will make me their most loyal and hard working employee, so it was smart on their part!

Old 07-01-2008, 12:02 PM   #12
(female)

Tasia9 HB User

April
just catching up on all the posts. A Big congratulations to you!!!!!! Yes there are still compassionate and caring bosses out there, yay!
T

Old 07-01-2008, 11:49 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

glamour girl HB User

April,
I just love what i read. Thats super fantastic. To find a employer that wonderful to yr needs is so very rare. Your post has sure lifted the spirits around here for sure. I smiled the whole way.
Congrats on yr reward too.
You must be flying high at the moment.. Enjoy yr days there. I'm sure a weight has been lifted with no need to keep the secret.
Happy and healthy days to you.

Closed Thread