HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Multiple Sclerosis (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/multiple-sclerosis/)
-   -   what causes electric shock sensation (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/multiple-sclerosis/613974-what-causes-electric-shock-sensation.html)

3732377pa 06-30-2008 06:35 PM

what causes electric shock sensation

what causes electric shock sensation

jlbrow7 06-30-2008 07:28 PM

Re: what causes electric shock sensation

I'm not sure I understand but maybe someone else will. Can you explain a bit more?

Bearygood 06-30-2008 07:37 PM

[QUOTE=3732377pa;3629045]what causes electric shock sensation[/QUOTE]

Specifically in MS, there is a sensation called [B]L'Hermittes Sign[/B].

mitch512u 07-01-2008 05:39 AM

L'Hermittes is one of many indicators for MS. In my case what happened was this: I would look down at my feet (bend my head foreward while sitting upright) and I would get shock like feelings in my feet. It is, I believe, caused by lesions at or near the top of the spine. The electrical impulses the act of bending your neck creates, or perhaps the signals needed to bend your neck, are 'short circuted' causing the shock like symptoms to be sensed elsewhere, in my case the feet.

Keep in mind that I am not a neurologist so this may not be correct but it is my understanding of it. The good thing about this board is that there are many members here who have much more experience and knowledge and will give you the benefit of their understanding.

Neil

MSJayhawk 07-01-2008 06:53 AM

I akways likened my shocks to the electrical signals failing to pass through much like a frayed extension/electric cord. With all my shocks, my teenager no longer shocks me ;) ;) LOL, but then I do not have a daughter to manage!!

I am sure your neurologist can better explain your situation to you. My neurologist is excellent about answering every little question/concern I have. Her bedside manner is terrific. By asking, you can gain a pro-active ally in your battle.

Snoopy61 07-01-2008 07:09 AM

If you have MS:

Electric shock sensations are sensory symptoms and also know as neuropthic pain.

These sensations and others are caused by the loss of Myelin which is the protective coating surrounding nerve endings.

If you have an electrical cord that is frayed it's no longer reliable because the insulation is gone. Myelin is our nerves insulation, MS strips away the Myelin.

Once you use electrical tape the cord is fixed and reliable. Unfortunately, with MS, there is not a "fix" for our wiring so we get symptoms and sensations. Think of it as being permanently short circuited.

L'Hermittes happens when you bend your head down. You can repeat sensations (buzzing, vibrations, zaps, shocks) each time you bend your head down. For many this symptom is an annoyance nothing more but some will have pain with it.

L'Hermittes is not exclusive to MS there are other causes. If you have MS and experience L'Hermittes it is caused by a lesion/lesions on the cervical spine.

Nenu 07-01-2008 07:25 AM

[QUOTE=Snoopy61;3629554]L'Hermittes happens when you bend your head down. You can repeat sensations (buzzing, vibrations, zaps, shocks) each time you bend your head down. For many this symptom is an annoyance nothing more but some will have pain with it.[/QUOTE]

Exactly!

I didn't experience pain with mine, but it did frighten me when I first experienced it.

Canadian gal 07-01-2008 09:36 AM

[QUOTE=Snoopy61;3629554]Electric shock sensations are sensory symptoms and also know as neuropthic pain.

These sensations and others are caused by the loss of Myelin which is the protective coating surrounding nerve endings.

If you have an electrical cord that is frayed it's no longer reliable because the insulation is gone. Myelin is our nerves insulation, MS strips away the Myelin.

Once you use electrical tape the cord is fixed and reliable. Unfortunately, with MS, there is not a "fix" for our wiring so we get symptoms and sensations. Think of it as being permanently short circuited.

L'Hermittes happens when you bend your head down. You can repeat sensations (buzzing, vibrations, zaps, shocks) each time you bend your head down. For many this symptom is an annoyance nothing more but some will have pain with it.

L'Hermittes is not exclusive to MS there are other causes. If you have MS and experience L'Hermittes it is caused by a lesion/lesions on the cervical spine.[/QUOTE]

L'Hermittes, which causes this buzzing usually by dropping your head forward, can stimulate this sensation (in various parts of your body). This is called "Paraesthesia", which basically means "abnormal sensations", felt just about anywhere in the body.

"Most people are aware of paraesthesia when they trap nerves in their limbs by sitting badly. The resulting numbness and pins and needles resolve soon after the nerve is released. However, a number of peripheral and central nervous system conditions can cause chronic paraesthesia. These include diabetes, hypothyroidism, pernicious anaemia, alcoholism, heavy metal poisoning, carpal tunnel syndrome, encephalitis, tumours, transverse myelitis, stroke, transient ischemic attack, and multiple sclerosis."

When I have a spinal lesion attack, I will get that shock sensation radiating up from the back of my ankles up to my calves, every time I take a step. It has no correlation to moving my head . . . it just happens with movement of my legs . . . bzzzz-zap. :( (I do have L'Hirmettes too though . . .)

MS is central nervous system disease, ie. it affects the nerves in our brain and spinal cord, but ultimately our peripheral nerves can be affected too. Depending on where you are feeling this sensation, it might be stemming from peripheral nerve damage, or originating from damage in your cervical spine (sepecially if you are dx with MS).

Cherie

Canadian gal 07-01-2008 10:18 AM

[QUOTE=Snoopy61;3629742]Thanks, Cherie.

I get the technical names mixed up sometimes. I have vibrations/buzzing pretty much on a regular basis with or without my L'Hermittes, some days milder than others. I rarely get electrical shocks.[/QUOTE]

I'm not so sure you were wrong, and in fact your description might be more precise:

"Paraesthesia describes a number of abnormal sensations just about anywhere in the body. These include tingling, *****ling, pins and needles, electrical-type buzzing, burning, skin crawling, itching, partial numbness (like feeling through tent-cloth) and a variety of [B]neuropathic pains[/B]."

I think "neuropathic pain" just falls under the general "paraesthesia" category.

Cherie