It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2008, 04:52 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

april1848 HB User
Should I Worry?

Hello Friends,

I had a symptom today that I've only had twice before, but today was much more intense. I was at work my air-conditioned job, with a ceiling fan above me, and it was about 90 degrees outside, and I'm very sensitive to heat. All of a sudden I was freezing, and my hands, arms, and feet felt numb and like pins and needles. It was much worse on my hands, and my palms turned white and blue. Typing and holding a pen hurt very badly. I took my lunch so I could have a break and sit in the hot weather for awhile. I got into my car, which was an oven, but it actually felt good for a little while. Finally my hands turned into their normal color. It took about 4 hours before they felt better. I didn't live up to my normal typing speed today!

Is this Reynaud's Syndrome? Should I worry about this, or call my doctor? I get the feeling that this is a weird MS thing and a doctor couldn't do much anyway.
Stopped 4/10 due to no insurance.

Old 07-08-2008, 05:40 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
Re: Should I Worry?

Hey chicky. Dont know if this will make you feel better or not, but I wanted to share so you know youre not alone. I had the same thing happen a few months ago- only mine was mostly in my feet! They were turning blue, and sort of white- and going completly numb on me to the point where they really hurt! I was scared and made an appt with my Neuro to talk to him. He actually said that Reynaulds is SO common in MS patients that it didnt surprise him, but he wanst entirely convinced it was Reynaulds, and told me even if it was- they dont really do anything for it...his suggestion was trying to do relaxation exercises. Now, with your hands, its going to be easier then with my feet! Try stretching your toes and wiggling them in circles during the day..that was interesting! But it did help....you need to give your hands some breaks during the day- stretching your fingers wide apart and bending them slowly and then quickly...get the blood circulating and moving. It should help somewhat...
Honestly, he told me that the cold was doing this more than anything, and about that time- we were having icy cold days. Now, with the heat, I find that my toes are cramping again..probably similar to your hands. With that- I wouldnt go crazy worrying- I would try to adjust your hands so that they are not directly under the a/c or fan (can you slow down the fan perhaps?) and try to keep regular with heat...the simple act of walking from the car to the building, can set you off again. Trust me, Im a pro at walking from the car to the airconditioned facilities that Ive been in for two years..doing it 10 times a day was KILLING me from an MS standpoint. I wont miss that! But, youre doing it to yourself to a certain degree. Try to keep the a/c low in the car when you first get in, and gradually cool yourself down. Dont blast yourself with cold air either in the car or the office..try to be consistent with the temperatures..
I hope this helps. Yes, I would call the Neuro if it happens again- especially if you find it happening more often. But, i wouldnt panic..theres not alot they can do for you and they are going to tell you its common with MS..but document it just the same, call him if it makes YOU feel better..and welcome to a new symtom.
Stinks- huh?
Hugs buddy....
Nikki

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-08-2008, 05:47 PM   #3
Facilitator
(male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User

Not sure what it is called, but when it happens to me in the summer, I soak my hands in ICE water. For me, after 10 minutes, it generally clears up. As to winter, I use cool water and I keep my hands wrapped. This past winter I spent most of the time (indoors too) with a sock cap and wrapped hands.

Old 07-08-2008, 09:34 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Nenu HB User

You poor thing

I'd let your neuro know it happened in any event. At least you know how to counter it.

Old 07-09-2008, 03:01 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

april1848 HB User

Thank you all for your replies. My hands are perfectly fine today. There probably isn't much my doctor could do, but I did document it.

Old 07-09-2008, 03:06 PM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

Glad to hear it April....just keep an eye on it and see how often it happens or if you can find the trigger to when/why it happens...like i said earlier, its not an unusual symtom- and usually hot or cold can trigger it...do the exercises though- they cant hurt you! and, I hope you have continued good days..
Nikki

Old 07-09-2008, 03:53 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

april1848 HB User

Thanks Nikki. I'm sure the hot temperatures here and the a.c. was the trigger. The other two times this happened was during the winter, and even though it was freezing outside, it happened the same way, and felt the same. Yesterday it just lasted longer and hurt a lot more.

I don't know which way is up these past few days! All of these little things happening are adding up to a lot of stress, physically. I've been feeling weaker and more tired, and I worried yesterday about the hand thing because I don't want another attack. I've really been feeling pretty good! In the past two days, I've driven three times long distance through hurricane-like rain, hydroplaning the whole way, I had to switch pharmacies because my old one always runs out of my meds, I had to see my old boss yesterday and then puked at work, I didn't set my alarm right this morning and just made it to work on time, without food or coffee.

My husband is so busy at work that I haven't seen him since Saturday morning. Everyone gets tattooed this time of year, even though it's the worst time of the year to do it, and when he finally gets home, he's working on two different oil painting commisions. I may have to get another tattoo just to see him. I'm running out of coverable skin, but I am curious as to how it will feel now, with MS. He has other non-tattoo jobs in the near future; painting motorcycles, cars, and tee-shirts, two baby nurseries, and he's sculpting some kind of mask. He sculpts, airbrushes, and everything. He's very talented and I'm glad he's busy and making money, but I miss him! I have to give him credit though. Monday morning when I woke up, I found a sketch on the kitchen table of me sleeping, with a little love letter. Yes, it's kind of creepy, but it's also very sweet. The only time he sees me is when I'm sleeping!

On top of that, there's so much drama at work. Apparently I was hired to do a lot of things that weren't on my job decription. I don't mind that at all, but they eliminated my supervisor's job position, replaced it with another title, and hired someone else--so she's gone in a few weeks. It looks like I'll be doing many of her duties as well as what I'm already doing. I feel bad for her; I know how she feels. I can see how much she hates training me on things, and I don't blame her, but she has been pretty kind. Plus, I have no idea who my new supervisor will be. On top of my job, I'm working for a Political Action Committee and that will keep me busy until November. I'm just worn out, and my house is a wreck, so is my car. I should be cleaning right now instead of being here, but I'm too tired.

Fortunately, I still love the job, and the CEO and his assistant have been so kind to me. Not only did they hire me knowing I had MS, but they talk to me and joke with me a lot. They also asked me to join a few committees and they want me to start going to some more meetings. This has caused some animosity among the secretaries I share a space with, and I was told that I will get my own office as soon as we move, but there's nothing I can do about that. I'm not going to dumb myself down to make friends. And I LOVE working around clients again!! That's the best part of all. Some of my clients call me about non-work related things, such as filling me in on sports events and asking if it's appropriate to wear certain fabrics in the summer. I'm proud that I've developed a good rapport with most of them. One lady calls daily to report on how well she slept the night before. I can't believe I ever did anything different. I'm not making a lot of money, but I do come home satisfied every day knowing that I helped a few people feel less hopeless and lonely. I need someone to do the same for me though, at the moment anyway.

I'm happy, but stressed out, and feeling it. Sorry this was so long, I needed to vent. My best friend is out of town and my husband is MIA, and I need to get this all out so I don't explode. I'm terrified that I'm going to relapse again; the last one, the one that diagnosed me, started last April, so I feel like I'm really pushing my luck here. At this moment, there are sparks going from my shoulders to my fingertips, but I know worrying isn't going to help any. To anyone who bothered reading this absurdity, thank you!

Old 07-09-2008, 04:44 PM   #8
Facilitator
(female)

Hey April. I laughed when I read your post, at least the last part! Been there. Felt like that. Cant help but wonder why YOU of all people would apologize to ME about a lengthy post- not like im not the queen of them or anything, right?

Hey- its the weather, the time of year, the lack of seeing your hubby (who sounds pretty cool) and the overall changes you have been thru this past few months....youre allowed to get stressed out! Could you please save this and send it back to me in say- November?! When our bodies get like this, we shut down, everything hurts- everything bothers us and our nerves are shot. I know, im also the queen of shot nerves this month! Youre allowed to be rambling and feeling like you are...Im right there with you, as usual.

as for work- concentrate on the good stuff. All those good feelings you keep telling me about when your clients appreciate you and call on you for any reason at all...thats the stuff dream jobs are made of. The other secretaries, the boss who is being replaced- none of that is in your control...as for being asked to join more comittees, attend more meetings and take on more responsiblity- sounds like a good reason to ask for a raise. Give it till your 6 months are up and think about it..might as well shoot for the stars, right?

Im telling ya- repeat all this back to me in a few months, ok? Im meeting my old operations manager at a coffee shop tomorrow to pick up my last check. He called me today to tell me he had it- and that I managed to get paid for the holiday day...I didnt know if I would or not. But Im still missing 5 days out of my biweekly check from those days I refused to go to work (with the doctors note). Just listening to him tell me what is happening over there had me getting a headache and trying to find an excuse to get off the phone! Tomororrow is the LAST time Im putting up with it..after that, it goes to voice mail. I have no reason to get stressed out over this, but for some reason I allowed it.
I cannot wait to see whats next with the new job...but honestly- Im scared. Scared Ill hate being inside all day- scared it wont be fulfilling for me- scared that the major cut in pay is going to be life changing yet again...everything is uncertain right now.

But, you my friend are going to be fine. Youve got alot of good stuff in that post- and you need to take this MS thing in stride. At least youve got a ton of people to watch your back - not only here, but at work, too....and you know, whatever is going to happen, is going to happen- dont predict, dont fixate on it and just keep trying to stay healthy by eating right, taking care of yourself as best as you can, and getting enough sleep...it will all help. Summer is the worst time for us- but fall isnt that far away.

Big hugs!!!
nikki

Old 07-09-2008, 05:19 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

april1848 HB User

Thanks for making me laugh with you! The title of my thread alone is absurd, Should I Worry Indeed! I have to remember that this is quite normal MS and life stuff. Really, I'm a lot less stressed now than I was a few months ago, and it's been a crazy few months!

I love the lengthy posts you write, so you being queen of them is quite an honor!

I can't wait until Fall, it seems so far away. I can't believe how much I'm looking forward to cooler weather. Remind me of this, in a few months when I'm complaining of icy roads and my front door being shut in snow!

My nerves are shot, and I have to undo that. I'm worrying about things that don't matter in the long run. Seeing my boss was bad, worse than I had thought, and the fact that it made me physically sick says a lot. I'm so glad I'm not there anymore! Nikki, I hope you feel the same relief soon. I got sick, but I also felt good because I knew why. The mixed emotions of immense relief, disgust, anger, and disappointment is a recipe for illness. Thankfully it's over. Like me, YOU don't have to look back either. As soon as you get that last check, you don't have to give it a moment's thought. I'm glad you got paid for the holiday. That's the least they should do!

Nikki, I absolutely will repeat this in a few months, and please do the same with me! Since we seem to go through similar things at similar times, it will be beneficial! And because you know much more about MS than me, and you and EVERYONE else out there, please remind me that it's just MS saying Hello (I heard MSJayhawk say that a long time ago, and it's been with me ever since). Remind me that I can't prevent a relapse by worrying about having one!

Old 07-10-2008, 04:26 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

glamour girl HB User

April. I lsmiled at yr post. When you said that your hubby sketched you sleeping. then to leave you a love note.. how romantic. Thats gorgeous.
My hubby is driving trucks for a mate of his at the moment. So we cross paths briefly in the mornig. short but sweet.
He just got his 2nd tattoo... his a drummer in a band. So he got a music lines across his shoulder with out daughters name scrooled in what looks like music notes. Great job.
I had my tattoo done 2 years ago. I'd love another too but. hmm maybe one day. I'm a woos. It hurt for me. maybe on a MS numb day huh ?? lol...

Old 07-10-2008, 06:07 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Nenu HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by glamour girl View Post
April. I lsmiled at yr post. When you said that your hubby sketched you sleeping. then to leave you a love note.. how romantic. Thats gorgeous.
My hubby is driving trucks for a mate of his at the moment. So we cross paths briefly in the mornig. short but sweet.
He just got his 2nd tattoo... his a drummer in a band. So he got a music lines across his shoulder with out daughters name scrooled in what looks like music notes. Great job.
I had my tattoo done 2 years ago. I'd love another too but. hmm maybe one day. I'm a woos. It hurt for me. maybe on a MS numb day huh ?? lol...
That's not a bad idea! Don't tempt me GG

Old 07-10-2008, 10:45 AM   #12
(female)

Canadian gal HB UserCanadian gal HB UserCanadian gal HB UserCanadian gal HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by april1848 View Post
Hello Friends,

I had a symptom today that I've only had twice before, but today was much more intense. I was at work my air-conditioned job, with a ceiling fan above me, and it was about 90 degrees outside, and I'm very sensitive to heat. All of a sudden I was freezing, and my hands, arms, and feet felt numb and like pins and needles. It was much worse on my hands, and my palms turned white and blue. Typing and holding a pen hurt very badly. I took my lunch so I could have a break and sit in the hot weather for awhile. I got into my car, which was an oven, but it actually felt good for a little while. Finally my hands turned into their normal color. It took about 4 hours before they felt better. I didn't live up to my normal typing speed today!

Is this Reynaud's Syndrome? Should I worry about this, or call my doctor? I get the feeling that this is a weird MS thing and a doctor couldn't do much anyway.
I've never had anything like this, April, so that's why I didn't respond. I do get a lot of sensations, from both COLD and HOT, but I have never had the change in color to my skin.

I suppose anything is possible from the damage that occurs with MS, and I don't think it's anything to be alarmed about, but I would definitely put that in my diary to mention to both your GP and neuro the next time you are in.

Hope you get to feeling better and enjoying some time with your hubby soon.

Cherie

Old 07-10-2008, 05:11 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

april1848 HB User

Hi Cherie. When this happened the first time, my PCP made sure my circulation was good, which it is, and after a consult with my MS doc they decided it was just MS. Thankfully my hands have been fine since the last episode.

Re Tattoos: I always joke with my husband about getting tattooed on a day when my left leg goes numb. Husband doesn't appreciate my MS jokes as much as I do, but laughing at something gives one power of it! I told him that if I ever lose the complete loss of my legs and I'm in a wheelchair 24/7, I want to be tattooed all over. If I'm completely numb and not able to work, why not? I have my whole back tattooed, and almost my whole right thigh. The thigh was my first, and it wasn't done by my husband, so of course he wants to completely re-do it. I know I can handle the pain of a tattoo just fine, but I'm extremely curious to know if it will feel different. I wonder if it would cause strange sensations, like vibrations from the machine, or a pins and needles effect. My right leg is my good one though, and I hardly ever get numbness there.

My husband being an artist has lightened him up a bit regarding me having MS. Even though I have a cane and I've only needed it a handful of times, he is making plans for all kinds of canes, that he will make and paint himself. He wants me to have a different one for all sorts of occasions. I think this is hilarious, since my cane has been gathering dust for some time! He also said that if I ever need a walker or wheelchair, he's going to "pimp it out". It is kind of funny picturing myself in a wheelchair with who knows what on it, and me covered in tattoos. I think it makes my husband feel like he's helping, although I'm far from needing that kind of help right now! But at least he's finally getting involved, and not distancing himself from MS. He has even been reading a little about it, which I would have NEVER predicted. If designing canes makes him feel better, I'm all for it!

Old 07-10-2008, 05:15 PM   #14
Facilitator
(female)

Hi April, just logged on in time to catch this latest post...tell your husband not only to start working on these canes and wheelchairs but to start marketing them..in fact, thats MY line of work- wish we could actually work on this together, but you may have just given me a great idea for a parttime business...all I need, is the artist!
Your husband really does sound like a gem..I always was partial to the brittish! My best friend in high school was an exchange student from London who we hosted for 6 months, and then her family actually moved here a year later..we stayed close right up until she left for college and wound up in New Zealand...bummer. But, seriously- your husband has the right attitude...can he send some of it to mine, please?
Having another one of "those" nights...
but glad to see you in better spirits..
Hugs
Nikki

Old 07-10-2008, 06:24 PM   #15
(female)

Tasia9 HB User

Hi April
I agree with Nikki, you should really market that idea...wow! I have been contemplating a tatoo for quite awhile now...but kinda am a scaredy cat. I want something that really has a special meaning to me but I have been hesitant up until now. Whenever I have had to have an MRI I am always asked if I have any tatoos? Is it because of the type of ink used?
I guess what I am saying is...its okay to have a tatoo and still have an MRI?

I Hope that I have not thrown this thread off topic and so about the original topic...No you don't need to worry...you just need to worry enough lol
Take care April
Tasia

Closed Thread