It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2008, 07:59 PM   #1
(female)

5alive HB User5alive HB User5alive HB User
Smile A newbe MS needing friends

Hello!
I am a newbe who after many tests,i've been diagnosed with multiple sclerosis.
They think that I may have had it a while.i'm 55yrs. old, and very frightened.
In my life i've had a few health problems,but,never in my wildest dream would i feel leggs of cement,falling,grasping for names words etc.My adult children fill in my sentences.alot of times i must crawl up the stairs
I know this is nothing new,and i'm not alone.
I hope I will be welcomed.I'm just finding out about everything,getting used to the shots 3 times a week.

well i don't want to write a novel just yet,
but, I am finding it hard to face it all.
Nice to meet you all

Old 07-12-2008, 10:08 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Nenu HB User
Re: A newbe MS needing friends

Welcome to the family! You'll find a lot of great people and support here

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-13-2008, 07:09 AM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

Hi Addagirl-
welcome to our cyber world. If youve been reading any of the posts here, youl see that we are very much a cyber family. For some of us, like me- this is the only support I get, and I turn to these wonderful people for everything! Im in my 40s was only dx 2 years ago and remember quite clearly how it felt to be scared. You mentioned 3 shots a week- Rebif, or Betaseron? Im on Rebif myself and can only tell you that after the intial couple of months- I now really love it. Shoot and go, thats my motto! Ive done in while riding in a car, on an airplane, even in the bathroom at my mother's house...to me, its like brushing my teeth- youll get there.

Meanwhile, Im sure you have thousands of questions- and please ask them. There is almost always someone who has been in that situation or can direct you for help here..

and lastly I wanted to point out that this horrible feeling you are experinecing of not being clear in your vocab, or having trouble walking up the steps- this is more than likely due to the "relapse" which finally gave you a dx...I had all sorts of problems before I had a clue what MS was...when my one big relaspse happened, it finally took me to the doctors where I wound up with a dx in less than 2 weeks...knowing what it is, and having people answer questions for me put me alot at ease- starting Rebif has kept me from having anymore serious relapes- and life has returned to normal..

Welcome to our world!
Nikki

Old 07-13-2008, 08:04 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

april1848 HB User

Welcome, and I love your cyber name!! I don't know how I would have made it in the beginning without this board. I was diagnosed last September, knew very little about the disease, and nobody with it! My family and husband were not extremely supportive, but my husband is certainly coming around. I don't know what things would be like now without this board.

I still have trouble facing it all too. It helps me immensely to come here and see that I'm one of many. When you're ready to write your novel, we will be here and happy to read it!
Stopped 4/10 due to no insurance.

Old 07-13-2008, 08:15 AM   #5
(male)

DavidLeeK HB User

welcome to the forum, i too am newly diagnosed and have learned alot and been educated by the good people on here....

its hard to get diagnosed when you think you are indestructible, i'm in great shape, don't drink, don't smoke am 5'9" and 170 pounds, workout, always active and now it hits me at 47 years old....although i've had symptoms for 6 years and bascically three episodes, one 6 years ago and one about 3 years ago and now this one which led to my diagnoses

we're here for ya

Old 07-13-2008, 09:17 AM   #6
(female)

Pens'nChalk HB User

Hi, Add A Girl!
Quite a few of us here have been diagnosed long past the time that we might have been. The good news is that this is the decade of effective treatments. I was diagnosed a year ago, in my late fifties ... knew I had symptoms for decades, but always assumed they were early signs of something I would, like my parents, have in my seventies! Frustrating that it chose to visit "early," and call itself MS ...

There are wonderful people on this board ... new to MS, experienced, young, older, and all have struggled with accepting this diagnosis. I still wonder sometimes if this is a mistake, if these symptoms are just those early signals of what is yet to be ... but I take my injections every day trusting that it will slow the progression, and looking back over this year, I believe it has.

We're here to listen, and to help you figure out how to deal with this. And you will probably one day be joining in and encouraging others new to this.

Sending prayers for you, and for all of us.
~ Mother Teresa

Old 07-13-2008, 11:19 AM   #7
(female)

Thank you all so very much for such a warm(((hugg)))

Strange,I found my diagnoses when the md's were looking for something else.
It was a cold day and i went to the post office.I fell...due to no salt on ice on the walk way (realy,pics and all)
long story short...mri's,lesions,evoked potential.the reason I think its been with me a while.A few yrs back i was heading through a pay booth.I lost my vision.A wonderfull man helped me and anyone from getting hurt.

I look forward to all of your stories and help

Old 07-13-2008, 11:24 AM   #8
(female)

oh i forgot.my med is betaseron

Old 07-13-2008, 11:41 AM   #9
Facilitator
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

HI addagirl-
again, welcome. Thanks for sharing what med you are on- many people here are also on Beta and will help share your stories....Rebif and Avonex are not much different- so we, too, know what you are going thru.
As youve already seen, we are a welcoming bunch, so jump right in as we are looking to hear your story and what you have to contribute to ours!
Nikki

Old 07-13-2008, 02:26 PM   #10
(female)

MommaEMS HB User

Hello Add * A * Girl!
Welcome to the board. I was also dx this year, St. Patricks day to be exact. I am on Rebif and like you some days it's hard to believe that all of this has happened. We are the same age, I just turned 56 and now that I know what MS is, i've had it a long while too.

This is a wonderful place. Everyone is so kind and helpful. If you have any kind of question you will get great answers.

Take care and God Bless
MommaEMS

Old 07-13-2008, 03:09 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bearygood HB UserBearygood HB User

Hi, ADD*A*girl! You're far from alone. The statistics will tell you that you've got at least 399,000 people in the U.S. alone as company but trust me, there are many more!

Old 07-13-2008, 03:34 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Nenu HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearygood View Post
Hi, ADD*A*girl! You're far from alone. The statistics will tell you that you've got at least 399,000 people in the U.S. alone as company but trust me, there are many more!
I heard more recently the 'new' statistic for the US is over 1 million with MS. Don't hold me to that, because it was second hand information, and I'm unsure of the source. 1 million in the US does sound more logical. Look at how many people come to this site to share stories... and that's just the folks who have been fortunate enough to find us

Old 07-13-2008, 03:44 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bearygood HB UserBearygood HB User

I've heard that a new census is in the process but I don't know when it will be concluded. The statistics of "over 400,000" are very old -- I may be mistaken that they're from 1979 but it was somewhere around there. Pretty crazy for a disease that wants more attention, isn't it!

Old 07-13-2008, 04:10 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Nenu HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearygood View Post
I've heard that a new census is in the process but I don't know when it will be concluded. The statistics of "over 400,000" are very old -- I may be mistaken that they're from 1979 but it was somewhere around there. Pretty crazy for a disease that wants more attention, isn't it!
That's my thought. I can't believe a newer census has not been released since that time, to my knowledge at least.

Old 07-13-2008, 08:52 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

glamour girl HB User

Hi Add A Girl
Welcome to the family. I picture myself here holing my arms out like Family would. the best place to be is here when you want to shout, vent or share the joy in yr days. Looking forward to knowing you here. Never alone here. Even if we're all on the opposite sides of the world. Once agian welcome.

Closed Thread