It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2008, 07:59 PM   #1
(female)

cotmh HB User
MRI cause of peripheral neuropathy flare up?

Hi,

Has anyone here experienced a peripheral neuropathy flare up after having an MRI?

Some of my symptoms are headaches, vertigo, painful peripheral neuropathy, but was doing ok on Tuesday. I am not sure yet if I have MS or neuroborelliosis (Chronic Neuro Lyme Disease) both have brain lesions, the size and quantitiy of lesions will finally give me a definitive diagnosis, I guess. I have had a positive Lyme test from tick borne specialty lab, Igenex. But symptoms of LD and MS are so similar it is next to impossible to tell the difference. Need to be sure before starting treatment for either.

Anyway, then I had a brain MRI later that morning. That evening, I felt very warm as if feverish and woke up the next morning with widespread nerve pain.

Has this happened to any of you after an MRI? How long did the flare up last..I am just hoping damage didn't occur. I have had MRI's before, years ago and never had this happen, so I am pretty scared.

I found this out about MRI's:
High-strength, high-slew-rate gradient coils are desired in modern MRI for better image quality and faster imaging speed. However, rapidly time-varying magnetic fields produced by gradient coils induce electric fields in tissue, which can cause peripheral nerve stimulation (PNS).This significantly limits our ability to take full advantage of these high-performance gradient systems. Despite considerable research in this area in recent years, the relationship between PNS thresholds and gradient coil linear region dimensions or gradient performance parameters is still not well understood. In this study, we investigated this relationship.

Thank you in advance for responses.

Last edited by cotmh; 08-09-2008 at 08:19 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-09-2008, 10:10 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bearygood HB UserBearygood HB User
Re: MRI cause of peripheral neuropathy flare up?

Hi, cotmh. I've never heard of anyone experiencing this. If it doesn't resolve by Monday I would definitely put in a call to your doctor. It's possible that it's just a coincidence -- I hope so and that it passes quickly.

I responded to you in the other thread so please take a look at that as well but in regard to MS, lesions have certain characteristics like shape and location. However, you are right that besides sx, MS and Lyme lesions can resemble each other so much that it can make it impossible to distinguish the difference. You definitely got tested by the best lab but I'm sure you know that one of the problems with Lyme is that there can be false positives as well as false negatives so that does present another potential dilemma. I'm glad to hear it sounds like you're taking the appropriate steps to figure out the correct dx.

Last edited by Bearygood; 08-09-2008 at 10:34 PM.

Old 08-10-2008, 11:37 AM   #3
(female)

cotmh HB User

Yes, I hope it is coincidence as well...very strange, painful and scary.

Yes, I know I am close to answer, it is one or the other and that is why the brain MRI will be helpful (no results yet).

Thank you very much for your response.

Old 08-11-2008, 04:02 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

glamour girl HB User

Hi. The only thing i ever got from a MRI was really bad numbness in my arms and hands. I couldn't sign the medicare form. Its never happened again. I've since had others.
My guess was it happened because i was still for so long. It settled in a few hours.

Hope your feeling better. Definitely talk to your docs if it doesn't resolve.

Closed Thread