It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2008, 01:35 PM   #1
(female)

kimtol HB User
I just feel like crying!

Seriously, the pain that radiates down my right leg and my arm almost brings me to tears. It is not because it is painful per se, it is because it is so constant and it's like being poked over and over and over again in the same spot. Like I can't get any relief and it just seriously brings me so close to tears.

Last night I laid in bed for a little over an hour trying to get comfortable. I just couldn't though because my leg was bothering me so bad.

Today, it's my leg and my arm. Both on my right side. I feel like I'm losing grip in my right hand to be honest. And it's just so frustrating.

Please tell me this will stop soon. It all started with the ON three weeks ago which is better now, but the pain just moved from one place to the next. It is really depressing me.

Old 08-13-2008, 01:39 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

april1848 HB User
Re: I just feel like crying!

I'm sorry you're going through this! I wish I could tell you it will go away soon, but it sure might! I get a lot of crummy symptoms that come and go. Only a few stay with me and they're manageable for the most part.

Are you on any meds that will help you sleep, or relax your muscles? That may help. I get really bad spasms in my legs, and I've found that Potassium and Magnesium work very well for that; they work better than muscle relaxer drugs I've tried.

I hope you get relief very soon, and in the meantime I'm sending you cyber hugs. All the best!
Stopped 4/10 due to no insurance.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-13-2008, 02:20 PM   #3
(female)

Shelly7630 HB User

Hi, I understand what you are going through 100 percent. I get strange sensations that feel like electric bolts that run up and down my legs and sometimes in my groin area. I also loose control of my hands...of course this happens when I' am holding a glass! (I buy more plastic nowadays) At night if it gets bad, I take a sleeping pill and that does the trick. I also take neuronton when needed. I also get so bad sometimes that any type of touch will make me flitch. This for me is the most aggravating as people do not understand why you jump when touched. Anyhow, my symptoms come and go and I only hope they will do the same for you. In the mean time, use these boards to vent...GREAT medicine...and it is free!

Old 08-13-2008, 03:04 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Nenu HB User

Sorry to hear Kim. It certainly sucks, and to add to that, none of us can tell you when and if you'll find relief in what you're currently feeling. Each person is unique, and within each person, the symptoms are unique in duration, intensity, etc.

There are tricks you can try to find some comfort however. Cold compresses on sore areas may help. R&R (rest and relaxation). This is crucial during a period of flare up. Some over the counter medications MAY help. Contact a pharmacist and your GP and see what they have to say or suggest in this.

Surprisingly for me, a warm or hot bathtub is my BEST relief. I don't know why it is that I can tolerate a warm tub and it makes me feel so much better, but warm weather just destroys me as my symptoms come back if I overdo it. I would NEVER suggest this to another person with MS. Most cannot tolerate heat well. So maybe a lukewarm shower would help instead?

I also leave my bedroom lamp on when I am feeling crappy, and I find that I can sleep better with it (orange colored shade, so it's a nice warm, calming hue all around). Also leave the radio on very low, so I can block out any background noises.

Anything that can keep your mind off the symptoms... be it television, movies, reading ... whatever you find can keep your mind occupied. The less I think about the symptoms, the better they get most of the time. It's when I notice them and worry myself sick about them (Am I going to relapse???!) that they get out of control.

Take care of yourself hun!

Old 08-13-2008, 03:18 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

april1848 HB User

Lots of good advice Nenu! Sometimes when my spasms are extremely bad at night, I leave the TV on (something boring) and put all of my focus into listening to it until I fall asleep. On most nights I also burn a lavendar scented tea light. There's a lot to be said for aromatherapy; lavendar is the best to me because of its calming effects. I bought some lavendin essential oil and I put a few drops on the light bulb on my bedside lamp. The effects of the scent of lavendar plus the distraction of the TV help a little with not focusing on the pain.

I envy you your ability to take hot baths! Before I knew I had MS, when I thought I had arthritis, I took baths all the time. I had all kinds of salts, soaps, fizzies, and other things to put in there, and even though I felt weak and tired after the bath, my bones definitely felt better. I loved Epsom salts!

I think the best thing you mentioned was the rest and relaxation. I notice a HUGE difference in the way I feel if I get a lot of rest, like sleeping until 11:00 on the weekend, even though I can't usually do that. But the extra rest makes a very noticeable change in how I feel, and sometimes the positive effects last for a few days! It comforts me to know that rest can help. When I was going through my phantom itching thing last week, the itching decreased a lot on the days when I got lots of sleep. The weather has cooled down and the humidity has gone down too, and I think that's what "cured" my itching.

My symptoms are mostly sensory. This is the first summer I've been through knowing I have MS, and they flare up a lot when the temp is hot, or above 70 degrees or so. When I get the electrical shock feelings in my legs and my left foot starts to go numb, I put a cold compress on the back of my neck and that temporarily relieves it.

Kimtol, I hope you're able to get some rest. An over the counter sleep med may be all you need. With a good night's sleep you may feel a little better, and remember to stay cool!

Old 08-13-2008, 03:32 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Nenu HB User

I definitely bought one of those Glade plug in aroma scent things for my room. Vanilla. Mmmm! Anything that smells like vanilla calms me so much! I forgot about that until you mentioned it April!

Hrm, I guess I have a lot of sensory as well April. I get the tingly legs and feet, hands... especially when the weather gets hot.

I forget what last winter was like for me. I was just miserable with pain and fear (L'Hermittes hit me then, as did right side facial spasm). I do remember buying tons of pairs of nylon brushed socks in ADORABLE colors They're soft, thick, and comfy. They kept my footsies warm.

Can you soak your feet without having the symptom flare up April? Since hot water doesn't affect me, I'm unsure if soaking 1 area of the body versus the entire body would be different. I'm thinking if you can soak the footsies, perhaps your epson salt in a foot massager unit? I know my grandmother used to have one that heated up the water and she'd soak her feet for hours. She had severe pains throughout her body (my mom suspected for a long time fibromyalgia, but maybe grandma had MS? Who knows, no autopsy was done because she died of a heart attack) but she swore by the foot soak and did that nightly while watching the television. It helped her greatly.

Last edited by Nenu; 08-13-2008 at 03:37 PM.

Old 08-13-2008, 03:38 PM   #7
Facilitator
(male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User

I have been in your shoes. It gets better, I know. Well, for me at least. In my experience I feel I have built up my tolerence threshold. With God's blessings, I hope you can do the same. I know that the pain I could not endure in 2002, I laugh at these days. I wish you many years of laughter and happiness.

Old 08-13-2008, 03:40 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Nenu HB User

Evening Jayhawk!

You mention another important aspect of the healing process. That being faith. I found that having faith (no matter what your faith may be) can truly be an amazing healing point.

Also, meditation.

Old 08-13-2008, 03:50 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

april1848 HB User

Nenu, I'm going to try to soak my feet in hot water and epsom salt like you suggested. I have one of those foot baths too, it's probably collecting dust in the attic somewhere. It's worth a shot, and I can put a cold compress on my neck to even things out somewhat.

I have forgotten what winter did to me too. I would get cold for a minute, and parts of my body would go numb for hours afterwards. I have several pairs of those socks too! I know my heat sensitivity is much worse than the cold sensitivity though. This is the first time that I've looked forward to winter! Remind me I said that later.

Faith is also important, no matter what your beliefs are. I also agree that meditation is great. Focusing on a prayer or mantra is very effective, for me, for distracting myself from my symptoms.

Kim, please do check in! I sincerely hope you're not crying and that you got some rest. You're in my prayers!

Old 08-13-2008, 06:21 PM   #10
(female)

kimtol HB User

Thank you so much for the words of comfort you guys. It does make me feel better to know that I'm not alone. But it is still so hard when I don't even have a diagnosis because it's like I'm just sitting around waiting for something bad to happen. That along with this pain just increases my frustration.

I have a 10 month old daughter that I'm still nursing...so I'm limited what I can take. I try Tylenol but it doesn't really help. It will take the edge off, but I still have the pain. And it's kinda hard to get some good R&R these days. But my hubby is definitely trying his best to let me rest. I got a total of 5 hours of nap on Sunday (when the arm/leg "flare up" started). It was really nice.

I think I'm going to try and find things to help keep my mind off of it. I hope it doesn't get worse though.

*sigh*

Old 08-13-2008, 06:58 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Nenu HB User

kim dear, it's tough, and the limbo is the toughest. I wish I could say you will get better, but it's so hard to tell.

Just take it from any of us who have been through the limbo and finally diagnosed. The limbo is the worst. You will feel 'better', be it symptom wise, or emotionally, when the answers finally come. All you can do at this time is try what you can with what you have. And keep in touch here. Talking to others is such a huge help.

Having a good cry is not bad either. It's a release.

Old 08-13-2008, 08:19 PM   #12
(female)

jlbrow7 HB User

Let's hear it for a good cry!!!

NOTHING beats it, IMO.

Kimtol, you're in my thoughts.

Last edited by jlbrow7; 08-13-2008 at 08:22 PM.

Old 08-13-2008, 09:04 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bearygood HB UserBearygood HB User

kimtol, I'm so sorry to hearing you're feeling badly and hope that by the time you see these posts you'll be feeling better.

Old 08-14-2008, 05:35 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

glamour girl HB User

Kimtol,
I sure hope your day brings some relief.
We all send you hugs.

Closed Thread