It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2008, 09:19 AM   #16
(female)

daysma HB User
Re: my doctor diagnosed me with ms but the mri is negative, do I have it

This is the MRI I had. Same machine, same thing around head.

They say this is a closed one?! What is the difference? My head had the cage thing around it with a mirror that I could look in to see the techs if I was scared, although they advised me not to unless absolutely necessary as any movement could screw up the test. I had arm and head twitching at the time so they had to give me some sedation...........valium I think...........lovely drug btw! LOL!!

When I typed in Closed MRI they showed mainly these ones, but a couple that were long tubes that your whole body goes in with no opening at the one end. Confused.

Last edited by moderator2; 09-01-2008 at 07:14 PM. Reason: please do not post pictures for any reason - as per the posting policy

Old 09-01-2008, 09:21 AM   #17
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bearygood HB UserBearygood HB User

Nope. Not true in either my OR most neurologist's opinons. Notice that in your post with the quote it included ®. The quote you saw was obviously by the manufacturer of that machine. Think about it -- why do you think I even asked you in the first place?

Listen, when I had my first MRI I freaked out -- couldn't go through with it. (Longer story.) I called the doctor the next morning and was told the same thing that the radiologist told me. If you have an open MRI, the pictures will not be as good. I was very strongly advised to not have the open MRI and that they only prescribe that in cases where the patient is too large for the tube or have serious claustrophobis. But essentially, that it could very well be a waste of time. I heeded their advice and with the assistance of my new best friend valium, got through the MRI fine. I've now had I think 5 -- no longer any issues (but valium is still my best friend on MRI days .)

This could very well explain why the pictures were ill-defined. And a CT scan will be even LESS definitive!

If you research the protocol for brain imaging when dxing MS you will see.

What are your doctors thinking???

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-01-2008, 09:23 AM   #18
Senior Veteran
(female)

If you are in doubt, ask. But the fact that not even your chest was in the tube seems like a clue. (If you call the radiology facility they will be able to tell you.)

Old 09-03-2008, 10:29 PM   #19
(female)

daysma HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearygood View Post
Nope. Not true in either my OR most neurologist's opinons. Notice that in your post with the quote it included ®. The quote you saw was obviously by the manufacturer of that machine. Think about it -- why do you think I even asked you in the first place?

Listen, when I had my first MRI I freaked out -- couldn't go through with it. (Longer story.) I called the doctor the next morning and was told the same thing that the radiologist told me. If you have an open MRI, the pictures will not be as good. I was very strongly advised to not have the open MRI and that they only prescribe that in cases where the patient is too large for the tube or have serious claustrophobis. But essentially, that it could very well be a waste of time. I heeded their advice and with the assistance of my new best friend valium, got through the MRI fine. I've now had I think 5 -- no longer any issues (but valium is still my best friend on MRI days .)

This could very well explain why the pictures were ill-defined. And a CT scan will be even LESS definitive!

If you research the protocol for brain imaging when dxing MS you will see.

What are your doctors thinking???

MRI results are in. I have MULTIPLE lesions! I am being sent to the MS Clinic for a complete workup to determing the severity of the the MS and to get on the proper treatment plan! Damn. I was hoping they were wrong! Thanks for all your info. It really helped!!

Old 09-04-2008, 06:36 AM   #20
(male)

brclrk80 HB User

daysma, do you have your MRI report? I am curious to know the result and impression.

Old 09-04-2008, 08:42 PM   #21
(female)

daysma HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by brclrk80 View Post
daysma, do you have your MRI report? I am curious to know the result and impression.
Yes, it came back with MULTIPLE lesions and I have been referred to the MS Clinic in Calgary. Postive diagnosis. I had 2 "lesions" 3 years ago, and now MULTIPLE. That is how the radiologist wrote it, caps and bold face. His recommendation was immediate admission to the MS Clinic. So it looks like things are going to move fast now. They want to assess my "level" of MS, does that sound right? And to get me on the medications as soon as possible to try to slow this down.

Thank you for asking!!
Ginger

Old 09-04-2008, 09:37 PM   #22
Senior Veteran
(female)

Nenu HB User

Ginger, sorry to hear the news (no one likes hearing it's MS), but I'm sure it must be a relief to finally be getting through this ordeal. I'm praying for you that things will look up once you've met with the clinic.

Old 09-05-2008, 08:02 AM   #23
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi, Ginger. Sorry about the dx but I'm glad that you're getting answers.

BTW, we cross-posted a while ago and I actually didn't see your post about the cage/mirror until right now, LOL. Yes, that sounds like it would have been a closed MRI.

In terms of determining the "severity" of the MS, that is actually really something that can't be done just by looking at lesions. It's more of a symptom and neurological examination type of thing and how you progress (or don't) over time. There are people with lots of lesions and few sx and people with few lesions who have a much harder time. To some degree this has to do with where the lesions are -- for example, spinal lesions are more likely to indicate possible mobility problems and in terms of the brain, there are regions that are better at re-routed themselves than others. But even then, it's not an exact science! There are people with only spinal lesions walking around (actually one on this board). Welcome to the mysterious disease that is MS.

Please keep us posted!

Old 09-05-2008, 10:58 PM   #24
(female)

daysma HB User

I am going to the MS Clinic where they are supposed to determine the severity with a battery of tests. We will see. They fear the MS is also in my spinal column. I had some shots into my back today. If they stop the tremors and spacicity then it is POSSIBLE there are lesions or whatever in my spinal column and the next test is an LP. Sounds painful!!

Thanks for all the advice. I really appreciate it!!!

Old 09-05-2008, 11:23 PM   #25
Veteran
(female)

ellekay HB User

Daysma, did you now have a closed MRI to determine your diagnoses better? Because reading your last MRI report, there were no lesions found and now you have full blown MS without a shadow of a doubt. So what happened?

I ask because i soon will be doing an MRI, not sure what to expect there but im guessing suffercation? and i am worried that they will find nothing, i will still have symptoms and they will kill me with more painful and uncomfortable tests.

So what do you recommend that i do? Was your spine checked also? If so, did you do LP or MRI for that?

Old 09-05-2008, 11:37 PM   #26
Senior Veteran
(female)

Nenu HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellekay View Post
I ask because i soon will be doing an MRI, not sure what to expect there but im guessing suffercation? and i am worried that they will find nothing, i will still have symptoms and they will kill me with more painful and uncomfortable tests.
Calm yourself Ellekay Deep breaths.

My MRI experience was: mask over my eyes, warm hospital blankets over me to keep me cozy, and earplugs to dampen the noise of the MRI machine.

No suffocation. What so ever. If you're clausterphobic, tell the staff. They can give you drugs to calm you before the procedure.

I actually fell asleep during the MRI procedure. Dozed off. The bed I was laying on vibrated. It was nice, like a full body massage lol!

Lumbar Puncture, in most cases, is absolutely nothing to fear. They give you a freezing needle first, then you may feel pressure of the needle being inserted, but not pain. It's not a long procedure at all. Just bed rest afterward staying horizontal, and drinking a lot of caffeine the day before, and the day of the procedure.

Old 09-05-2008, 11:49 PM   #27
Veteran
(female)

ellekay HB User

Thanks Nenu. Im generally a calm and collected person, but right now i have conerns and i dont like the unknown.

Your experience sounds pleasant though, but falling asleep indicates to me a lengthy time under.

Old 09-06-2008, 01:15 AM   #28
Senior Veteran
(female)

Nenu HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellekay View Post
Thanks Nenu. Im generally a calm and collected person, but right now i have conerns and i dont like the unknown.

Your experience sounds pleasant though, but falling asleep indicates to me a lengthy time under.
It wasn't really lengthy. 1h or a little more than in total. Of course, I was dozing because I was barely sleeping at the time because I had so much anxiety over what was happening with me.

I can understand your state of mind right now, as any of us can that have been in the 'limbo' period.

I was so dreadfully scared it was something even worse than MS. If only I had known to just wait out the doctor visits and not stress at the time. It's tough though, I hear you.

Old 09-06-2008, 01:23 AM   #29
Veteran
(female)

ellekay HB User

Yeah im terrified that they'll see a brain tumor or something of the sort that can be life threatening. Thats my number one concern.

I can deal with MS, cant deal with cancer.

What were your symptoms? And how old are you? Apparently is common in girls in their 20's. I am 28.

Old 09-06-2008, 06:23 AM   #30
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by daysma View Post
I am going to the MS Clinic where they are supposed to determine the severity with a battery of tests. We will see. They fear the MS is also in my spinal column. I had some shots into my back today. If they stop the tremors and spacicity then it is POSSIBLE there are lesions or whatever in my spinal column and the next test is an LP. Sounds painful!!

Thanks for all the advice. I really appreciate it!!!
Gotcha. Again though, I just want to stress that there are people who have come out of bad exacerbations with little or no residual signs and also unfortunately, vice versa. Although there are correlations between where lesions are found an potential sx (ie; which part of the brain is associated with various functions), they cannot definitively predict that something will or won't happen.

It's good they're doing an MRI of the spine. Are you having both the t-spine and c-spine imaged or just the c-spine?

One step at a time. A lot of people do not have to have an LP.

Closed Thread