It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2008, 01:55 PM   #1
(female)

tiredbunni HB User
Constipation and Probiotics

Since the beginning of this year my digestive system had started to change. I don't know if it is MS or the Avonex affecting they thyroid or both.

I see my neuro on Thursday. Over the past month I fought with constipation and yet with bowel incontience too. It is getting worse. Laxatives don't work at all. I have tried prune juice and it worked at first but then slowly stopped working. I have tried stool softners but same thing works then stops working. I don't get any diarrhea.

I am now taking probotics heavy duty kind. I was taking them with digestive enzymes. It was two probotics and one of the other. It started working but again slowed down to almost nothing. I have increased it to 4 probotics and 2 digestive per meal. I eat orangic foods .. lots of veggies and fruits and fish. I drink lots of water. I can't add any more fiber into my diet.

Can you take too many probiotics? I have researched and most say no. But there are others that say yes. For ten years I dealt with the bowel incontience but a sudden switch makes me suspect the thyroid. As I had a thyroid problem in the past. I have not gain a lot of weight but my diet doesn't have many calories in it but I can't lose weight which I could do easily before. I was underweight to begin with so doctors are not going to noticed.

I just wondered if anyone else gone through this. I haven't had this problem in 15 years and then it was managable. I know there is still one option I haven't tried yet. Not looking forward to that and wondering is this going to be the only way. I am hoping the probiotics will kick start my digestive system.

Thank you for your help.

Bunni

RRMS dx 12/06

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-22-2008, 02:45 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
Re: Constipation and Probiotics

HI Bunni. I have dealt with what you are dealing with off and on, both before dx and since...I see a nutritionist, who tried me on Probiotics, i found it made the situation worse! Because this is a random thing for me, and doesnt happen often, I started talking to my favorite person at the vitamin shope where I purchased those probiotics, she had me try both Acidophilus and Flax seed oil.
I take a ton of Omega 3-6-9..Evening Primrose, fish oils and now the Flaxseed- and believe it or not, i think its what made the difference for me. Since being on this combo of oils- Im not having this problem and its been about 8 months! Doctors will tell you to increase your fiber- if you dont eat fiber, at least use a soluable fiber supplement in your cookng/drinks....you can get that anywhere. I hope you find some relief soon...and as for the question can you over-do probiotics? Definately my nutritionist would say yes...anytime you are playing with the digestive tract, you can change it to the extreme. So, if you think you are using too many, cut back now. I hope you get relief soon. This is a horrible thing to experience.
NIkki

Old 09-22-2008, 04:01 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

april1848 HB User

Hi Bunni. I deal with constipation off and on as well. I buy whole flax seeds and eat some in the evening, and that usually does the trick--sometimes I sprinkle them in yogurt or cereal, and if I'm in a hurry I just toss them in my mouth. They're delicious!

I tried the probiotic yogurt for awhile, and it didn't seem to do anything for me. The flax seeds have helped much more.
Stopped 4/10 due to no insurance.

Old 09-22-2008, 04:35 PM   #4
(female)

Stacy1403 HB User

Hi Bunni,
I definitely know where you are coming from with this problem. I suffer from the same thing except it is all of the time. I take a high fiber cereal in the morning such as Kashi Go-Lean and on top I sprinkle 3 tablespoon of a fiber mixture that I make which consists of even amounts of ground flax seed, oat bran and psyllium husk. At one point I also eat 6 dried prunes. I know what you are thinking, yes that is a lot of fiber, but it works for me. If I miss this daily routine, I am in big trouble. I also drink lots of water and I too take a Multi probiotic 2x a day. I have not tried stool softeners, but there were days where maybe I should have???
Good luck with everything!

Old 09-22-2008, 10:27 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

glamour girl HB User

hi Bunni, This problem of constipation goes on forever with me. I now take Normacol plus, is granules of natural fibre. Laxatives i stopped. didn't like other fibre, i found that gave me a bloated tummy. eventually they actually stopped working. I do drink 10 glasses of water a day. At least normacol makes me go.
I'm also lucky enough to get that on Health care card so instead of $23 I pay $5

Its a horrible thing to go through. I'm so over it. Good luck

Closed Thread