It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2008, 02:26 AM   #1
(female)

Oolaalaa HB User
Optic Neuritis:Symptoms same as yours?

About 2 months ago I went from perfect vision to 95% vision loss in 4-5 days. About 2 days into losing my vision, I went to the eye doctor who then sent me for an emergency neuro consult. Within a week, I had an MRI (which turned out to be clear). The neurologist consulted with the optho-neurologist and they finally ruled this to be ON.

The thing is.. I don't have ANY floaters. The vision loss is in the same place everyday. My main symptom: Imagine your car's front window getting hit by a rock and splintering into a spider across your windshield. When you drive into a sunny area, the light is reflected in different directions... that's what my vision does. This is very consistent every morning. Once my eye gets a little taste of humidity, my vision goes from 20/30 (30 being the affected eye) to 20/50. I can then sit in front of a fan for less than 2 minutes and get my vision back to 20/30.

Also, my eye is very itchy and red when I wake up. After about an hour, those symptoms go away.

Does this sound like your ON? How does it similar? How does it differ?
melinda

((NOTE: Sorry to post this on the MS forum. My MRI did come back clear, but they have still not ruled out MS since they only did an MRI of the brain. The majority of posts about ON came from the MS section.))

Old 10-14-2008, 06:17 AM   #2
(male)

kevinnader1 HB User
Re: Optic Neuritis:Symptoms same as yours?

sounds like me..as far as light thing..i hve lotsa floaters..

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-14-2008, 09:10 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Nenu HB User

I do not have Optic Neuritis, however I do have floaters.

Both my parents have floaters, heck, even my neurologist has floaters!

Floaters in themselves do not necessarily mean a health issue. Many many people have them.

Old 10-14-2008, 11:25 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bearygood HB UserBearygood HB User

As for floaters in general, they even just naturally come with age. They can be caused for a number of reasons and I've never heard as them, unto themselves, being a byproduct of ON. Redness and itchiness are also not sx of ON.

Oolaalaa, the swiftness of your vision loss is not unusual. Neither is the dimness. However, I have to be honest that I am confused by all your sx and the determination that it's Optic Neuritis. ON doesn't come and go.

How did the neuro-ophthalmologist make the diagnosis? Did you have a visual field test, color testing, MRI of the orbits (or was it just of the brain?) etc.?

The reason you found most posts on ON here is because although there are other things that can cause it, it is very closely associated with MS and in the absence of another explanation, the patient should be monitored. In a majority of cases where there is no other explanation, it is not unusual for MS to eventually be dxed -- lesions usually show up down the line.

Old 10-14-2008, 01:01 PM   #5
(female)

Oolaalaa HB User

Hey everyone! Thanks for the replies. Trying to gather as much information as possible so every

Bearygood: I'm confused as to the dx of ON too as my symptoms don't seem to line up completely. I had many tests in the first 10 days.. many "eye" tests I should say.. including the 'push the clicker'. The only MRI I have had is of the brain... which came back normal. The reason why I mentioned the floaters was because the eye doctor was surprised when I told him that I didn't have floaters.

Thanks for the information about MS. I wouldn't be too surprised with an M.S. diagnosis in my future. I have been suffering with FM for the past 2 years.. which some of those symptoms overlap with M.S. I think?

One of my biggest problems with the eye tests is that they were given when I had lost most of my vision. After a few days on steroids, the inflammation went down almost all the way (blood test confirmed inflammation). I have asked for re-tests but all three doctors say that redoing the tests isn't necessary.

The last symptom I didn't mention is that my eyelid gets sore throughout the day to where it hurts really badly before I go to bed. Does anyone else have that?

Old 10-14-2008, 04:13 PM   #6
(female)

GINGERGIRL99 HB User

I am not an expert but check out the symptoms of sjogrens syndrome as it effects the eyes. The excessive dryness can cause loss of visual acuity to a small degree that clears up with increasing tear film wth blinking....maybe some lab work like an ana,sed rate,ssa,ssb,and special purple stain at eye doc could be done. Labs could be done by primary md or preferably by a rheumatologist. Just a thought...good luck.

Old 10-15-2008, 11:31 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bearygood HB UserBearygood HB User

GINGERGIRL is quite right. Sjogren's can occur by itself and is sometimes secondary to other autoimmune diseases like MS.

Closed Thread