It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2008, 03:24 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

k2626 HB User
I feel helpless

Hi guys. I am feeling helpless right now. As many of you know, I woke up one day in June to the start of my body pains. They continue to hit and jump around my body. At the onset, it was my ankle that was in pain..which was fine in the morning, but then later that afternoon it was my other foot (felt like it was being crushed) 15 min later the pain was gone. From that day on I have had pains that will hit one aread for a minute, then hours later jump somewhere else, its like a toothache pain. The other night for example I was going to sleep and my big toe started to get deep throbbing pains for about 10 minutes, went away and I have not gotten a pain there yet. I can say that recently I have had pains that stab three of my fingers on my right hand--those are the first pains that seem somewhat consistent. I will get these stabby pains that will hit for a few minutes a couple times a day. I also seem to be getting these odd pains in my left ankle/foot.

I have had EXTREME joint cracking which has been consistant since day one. Another thing that has been consistant and getting worse is a right eye pain. I actually had this months before the other pains and that pain will kind come and go too. I also have had a bruised type of pain in the middle of my back right above where my bra strap hits, I feel it if I bend my back. Its just weird, I woke up one day and had MOST of this ALL going on in my body aside from the eye pressure pain which was before the random pains.

My muscle twitching that is ALL over my body started 2 months ago and I still have it.

My left foot continues to tingle/vibrate on and off.

Here is my dilema. I had an MRI of my head and full spine. It was fine aside from mild DDD in my mid back (maybe where my bruise pain is?) and stenosis that is pressing on the surface of my spinal cord in my neck. My PC said I need to see a Nuero S which I am scheduled to do in Nov-for consult only.

I have seen TWO neuros that say my neck issue is NOT related. BOTH drs think this is anxiety causing all of this. One looked me in my eye when I questioned and said "I guarantee you DO NOT HAVE MS". I asked her if she can say this is 100% anxiety, and she said yes.

I feel like the neuros are saying this is anxiety because alot of this came on board after my dad was dx with term pc (he recently passed away). I feel that if I never told them about my dad (of course each asked at the time if I had stress going on in my life) then they would not have said this. Both drs wrote me a prescription for anit depressants/anxiety. I DO NOT FEEL DEPRESSED OR ANXIOUS! Only anxious about WHY my body is doing all of this.

I am sorry, I just needed vent. I know I have asked this before, but do these pains seem like MS? Literally it just started one day and started bouncing around my body from spot to spot within the day though recently the same fingers seem to get these pains. The pains are so deep it feels like someone is crushing my bones.

I just dont know what to do, I feel like I am having a nightmare and cant wake up.

Everytime I get a twich (which is hourly or more) or a stabbing odd pain I want to cry.

Last edited by k2626; 10-27-2008 at 03:25 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-28-2008, 08:44 AM   #2
Facilitator
(male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User
Re: I feel helpless

Your anxious feelings are causing you to feel helpless. If you look at your life, you will see that you are not helpless. You are doing what you need to do. You have a consult in November- good news.

Anxiety can become mixed with MS. Depression can also mix with MS. A neurologist has a difficult position to determine MS because the neurologist must exclude everything first. If your doctor finds the case for anxiety, seek treatment for your anxiety. If your symptoms persist, then your doctor can move further forward. Anxiety can be controlled by yourself or through medication. To control anxiety yourself, you might need to seek counsel or support groups. I know some who use biofeedback. There is no absolute in many treatments. Find what helps you the best.

Maintain the journal and when anxiety is eliminated, should symptoms return, your doctor may be better able to determine the next stage. If you are indeed dealing with anxiety, the side effects can mask or muddle other symptoms.

Now, as to crying, sometimes you need a good cry. I remember my mom's old doctor. He used to say he was so "old school" that he learned in the cave. He told my mom that everyone needed a room they could go into and scream or cry. He said that this broke the emotional logjam and relieved the body. If you need a good cry, I do not think this makes you any weaker. With my MS affecting me, my emotional threshhold can be greatly lowered. This bothered me at one time, but when I realized that I had no control over this threshhold, I learned to live with it.

I wish the best for you and your November consult. Heed the cousel of your doctors, but question them regarding their diagnosis and treatment. I truly hope you are dealing purely with anxiety and do not have MS. Please give us an update.

Closed Thread