It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2008, 07:35 PM   #1
(female)

Lola111 HB User
MRI clear? L5/S1 protrusion? MS related? HELP!!!

Hello everyone, I was wondering if anyone could please give me any bit of assistance.

I have been dealing with numerous symptoms for quite some time now, all of which have pointed to Multiple Sclerosis. After my doctor ordered a brain MRI and everything came up clear he was stumped. Now since I have associated lower back pain, my doctor decided to check for MS in my spine instead. After running the MRI of the lower spine... I received the results that I have L5/S1 protrusion. A lot more was said when I received the results over the phone but in all honesty I didn't understand half of the medical terminology that was sent my way. Anyways, my Dr. and I will go over the results when I have my next appointment in a month.

Anyways a couple of questions if anyone could please assist me.

1. Can someone have Multiple Sclerosis without lesions on their brain or spine?
2. Can you have symptoms of MS and have the lesions appear years later?
3. Does a L5/S1 protrusion have anything to do with MS?

Thank you all so much!

Old 12-01-2008, 08:21 PM   #2
Facilitator
(male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User
Re: MRI clear? L5/S1 protrusion? MS related? HELP!!!

Did the MRI include the Cervical area? Was the MRI done with and without contrast? How long have you had the symptoms? Have tests been run for Lyme?

The protrusion you indicated may be spinal stenosis. Depending on how long your symptoms have existed, you may not yet have enough lesions to be noticeable (especially if no contrast was used). There are many other tests that can be run. You might try an evoked potential.

You only have a month to wait. I wish you luck!!!! Ask questions and come back here often.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-01-2008, 08:31 PM   #3
(female)

supernova_krose HB User

The way I understand it (from a history of spinal problems including surgery), a protrusion is one step away from a herniation. There isn't anything spilling out of the disk at L5/S1, but it is deformed and may be pressing on a nerve. If you get the full report, it will tell you what nerves the radiologist believe are involved. You can do a web search on dermatome maps to see where a nerve pinched at L5/S1 would be felt. This shouldn't have anything to do with MS, but may explain lower back pain if you're having it.

Spinal stenosis is a narrowing of the space where nerves run through your spine, and that can compress the cord and cause pain. It can be due to a herniation (or protrusion), but can also be due to arthritis of the spine, and increases with age. If the radiologist thought you had stenosis, he/she would have put that in the report as well.

Good luck finding out what's going on!

Old 12-02-2008, 01:06 PM   #4
(female)

Lola111 HB User

Thanks so much for the advice!
To answer some questions...
I am not sure if the MRI included the cervical area... I was told just the lower spine. Unfortunately, I am not sure if the MRI was done with contrast either, how would I go about finding that out? As far as the symptoms they have been around for about 4 months. I have not been tested for Lyme, however, my Dr. did consider this and said he believed it was very unlikely.

I am still waiting for the remainder of my results report to be sent to me, that way I will see if spinal stenosis was mentioned. To be quite honest with you, when the nurse called me with the results all I heard was L5/S1 protrusion, the rest was mumbled so fast and with no explanation that I can't even remember all that was said.

Frusterating.
Thanks for the help to you both!!!

Old 12-02-2008, 01:17 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Snoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola111 View Post
1. Can someone have Multiple Sclerosis without lesions on their brain or spine?
2. Can you have symptoms of MS and have the lesions appear years later?
3. Does a L5/S1 protrusion have anything to do with MS?
(1) Yes, but there has to be other positive test results to indicate MS such as a positive lumbar puncture.

(2) Yes

(3) NO. Protrusion does not have anything to do with MS.

Closed Thread