It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2008, 09:32 AM   #1
(female)

Kris44 HB User
Provigil

Has anyone tried this? I have been taking it about two weeks now and I feel like a new person. I'm not tired at work everyday. I don't nap when I get home and stay up and spend time with the family. I am thinking more clearly and can articulate my thoughts better.

I am having a hard time getting my insurance to cover it and it's quite expensive out of pocket. The pharmacy keeps telling me they are waiting for my doctor to send a pre-authorization and my doctor says he has sent it and called them.

I can't seem to get a clear understanding from anyone on this process to figure out what everyone needs and get it to them. Has anyone been through this?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-13-2008, 09:02 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lisa_P HB UserLisa_P HB UserLisa_P HB UserLisa_P HB User
Re: Provigil

I am on this, too, and really, Really, REALLY can't stress how important it is for your doctor to pursue the situation for you.

Because it was denied, the doc tried me on a couple other "approved" drugs. They didn't have much affect, so that gave the doctor "ammunition" to write a letter stating how Provigil was essential in my treatment.

Now I get it with no problems. I think he had to re-submit his reasoning for the prescription every now and then, but it gets approved and I see no interruption.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-13-2008, 01:13 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

duttin HB Userduttin HB User

Kris,

Provigil is expensive and most insurance company's want a clear diagnosis why it's prescribed.

Call the prescribing physician and explain there has been a misunderstanding between the pharmacy and his office.Kindly ask if the imformation can be resent.

Provigil has helped me greatly,but my Drs. had to jump hoops to get the insurance company to pay for it.

It definatly helps many of us with the fatigue.

Old 12-15-2008, 12:38 PM   #4
(female)

kiwismom HB User

Hi Kris,

I have been taking provigil for 5 years now and it is a wonder drug for fatigue and energy loss.

Insurance company's utilization and management department require a patient to meet their (the insurance company's) own criteria for medical necessity in order to pre-auth payment for provigil.

Contact your doctor's office and ask to speak with a nurse. Request the nurse contact your insurance company with the medical necessity for prescribing Provigil for your symptoms. I retired from a medical practice treating MS patients and while it can be an insurance hassel it is not an impossibility to get provigil approved.

Hope this helps.

Old 12-15-2008, 12:45 PM   #5
(female)

Kris44 HB User

Thanks everyone, My nurse did call the insurance company on Friday so I'm waiting to see what happens next.

Old 12-22-2008, 02:13 PM   #6
(male)

Richard12 HB User

hey i used that when i first got dignoised because i hated being tired almost everyday anyway it worked okay its just i never feel ashleep at night! lol anywoo i forgot about the pill and have not taken it since october and im great justg healthy diet and green tea keeps me going all day lol
good luck!

Old 12-22-2008, 09:04 PM   #7
(female)

sweetsie HB User

I also take Provigil 2 200mg in the morning and another 200mg at noon. I couldn't function without it. I had the same problem with my insurance...here is a copy of what my doctor sent to my insurance:

Authorization Request for Provigil 200mg
Nothing has changed since Dr. _______ authorization in 2007. If anything, progression of her MS has slightly worsened. Without the drug Provigil she would be bed-ridden.

Fatigue is the number 1 symptom in MS patients along with a multitude of many other debilitating symptoms. MS is a progressive disease and she will not be getting better.

Ms. ____ requires 200mg of Provigil 3 times a day. There is no other drug for her to take and get the same results. Authorization of this drug is a necessity as soon as possible. She is almost out of her prescription.

I hope this helps.

Old 12-23-2008, 07:46 AM   #8
(female)

Kris44 HB User

Thanks I'll send a copy of this to the nurse. The biggest obstacle right now seems to be my doctors office not being able to get a call back from the insurance office. I have one day left on my sample packs and I downloaded a coupon for 7 days free from the provigil website.

Old 12-23-2008, 11:19 PM   #9
(female)

sweetsie HB User

Good luck..hope it all works out for you. You may be better of to get the fax number to your insurance company and have the doctor fax the letter instead of waiting for them to call back. Insurance companies can be a real pain!
Have a great Christmas and wonderful New Year...
Sweetsie

Old 12-27-2008, 08:39 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lisa_P HB UserLisa_P HB UserLisa_P HB UserLisa_P HB User

I'm on a MUCH lower dose and it works wonders! Only 100 mg a day. Sometimes I take an extra dose if I'm going to be especially taxed that day... But it can feel like "speed" so I avoid that scenario when I can.

[Be aware that it affects people differently. I tried the full 200 mg dose for less than a week at the beginning (free sample) and had very severe reactions. Just the opposite of it's intent! It made me super sleepy! And incoherent -- I couldn't speak at times -- just slurry gibberish. After a few days I actually had very detached, dispassionate thoughts of suicide. SO I got off of it!! Quick.]

However, like I said before, my doc tried me on all sorts of other treatments for the fatigue and physical sluggishness to no avail, so with great trepidation we tried the Provigil again -- at a lower dose. And I am elated to say that it is working quite well and it has been about a year now. Like the poster said -- it makes me feel NORMAL. A feeling I had completely forgotten in the last 15 years...

I DO sometimes have trouble sleeping but I think it's because I was late taking my meds that day. And there's enough in my system (I think) that I'm ok when I skip a day. Not two in a row, though... Then I'm in for a nap... and general bleariness...

Last edited by Lisa_P; 12-27-2008 at 08:42 AM. Reason: fix typo

Old 12-27-2008, 01:50 PM   #11
(female)

sweetsie HB User

I've been on Provigil for 5 years...taking 3 tab a day makes me feel just normal. I've taken so many meds it takes more than the normal dosage with any drug I take. Any way without the Provigil I'd be in bed. I take my last dose by 11am. I have always taken 50mg Trazdone to sleep (probably more than 7 years)...so I don't have a problem with the provigil at night. I really like the trazodone because if I need to wake up in the middle of the night I can without feeling dizzy or sleepy with no side effects in the morning. However I just had one of my meds changed to Effexor XR 225mg. I have not experienced any side effects from it except now I am having a problem sleeping. I've only been taking it for a month, so will probably adjust to it.

I enjoy hearing all your comments.
Have a great New Year,
Sweetsie

Last edited by sweetsie; 12-27-2008 at 01:53 PM.

Old 12-29-2008, 08:35 AM   #12
(female)

Kris44 HB User

I also take trazadone at night, and It is not a problem if I have to get up early or in the middle of the night. I usually don't hear of other MS patients using this for sleep although this was originally prescribed by a rhumetologist (sp) when My doc thought I may have rheumetoid (sp) athritis. I have been taking it for about 5 years now.

Old 12-29-2008, 01:25 PM   #13
(female)

sweetsie HB User

Actually the Trazadone wasn’t prescribed by my neurologist either. I have probably been on it longer than 7years, because one of the doctors trying to find out what was wrong me prescribed it before I was diagnosed with MS. You’re right … no one I know that has MS takes it, in fact, my friends that don’t have MS and have problems sleeping haven’t even heard of it used for sleep either…they take Ambien (ms) or another sleeping pill. I don’t’ know what I would do without it or the Provigil

Last edited by sweetsie; 12-29-2008 at 01:28 PM.

Old 01-24-2009, 01:25 PM   #14
(male)

vince10 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetsie View Post
I've been on Provigil for 5 years...taking 3 tab a day makes me feel just normal. I've taken so many meds it takes more than the normal dosage with any drug I take. Any way without the Provigil I'd be in bed. I take my last dose by 11am. I have always taken 50mg Trazdone to sleep (probably more than 7 years)...so I don't have a problem with the provigil at night. I really like the trazodone because if I need to wake up in the middle of the night I can without feeling dizzy or sleepy with no side effects in the morning. However I just had one of my meds changed to Effexor XR 225mg. I have not experienced any side effects from it except now I am having a problem sleeping. I've only been taking it for a month, so will probably adjust to it.

Have a great New Year,
Sweetsie

Old 01-24-2009, 01:28 PM   #15
(male)

vince10 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetsie View Post

Have a great New Year,
Sweetsie
SWEETIE..5 years on Provigil? Did you get used to it to the point where you had to take more and more everyday? Has there been any side effects from the long term use? Thanks

Closed Thread