It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2009, 11:28 AM   #1
(male)

sodapopper HB Usersodapopper HB Usersodapopper HB User
honey consumption with ms ok?

Has anyone ever heard any pro's or con's to having honey as part of a healthy diet with ms? I was going to try drizzling honey over foods as a sweetner instead of using sugar or artificial sweetners. Any opinions helpful.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-12-2009, 12:27 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
Re: honey consumption with ms ok?

HI there. look into active manuka honey- its the only honey which is considered safe for MS. Because it isnt broken down, its supposedly got enzymes in it which can help with inflamation. Regular Honey, the kind you get in a grocery store, is not recommended because it can work as an inflamatory...working AGAINST MS..
natural health stores sell active manuka honey...
Nikki

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-13-2009, 12:31 PM   #3
Facilitator
(male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User

We buy our honey from a local beekeeper. I have used honey for over 43 years (30 of which with MS- 26 since diagnosis). We use honey in all our cooking instead of sugar. I have never had any problems with honey. The only time I avoid using it is when I am going through choking periods due to swallowing difficulty (the thickness of the honey bothers me just as any thick liquids).

Old 01-13-2009, 03:17 PM   #4
(male)

sodapopper HB Usersodapopper HB Usersodapopper HB User

Thanks for the info you both gave. I'll have to look into the honey that you mentioned that is sold at healthfood stores. Never heard of it. I was questioning honey because somewhere I had read that it is better to use than sugar or the artificial sweeteners, but then when reading on it I noticed that it can help the autoimmune system- which in the case of MS-can be a bad thing to boost, right?? It's a bit confusing.

Old 01-13-2009, 04:59 PM   #5
Facilitator
(male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User

Your autoimmune system is in "hyperdrive" with MS, but you also need to consider sugar vs honey. I choose honey over sugar whenever possible. The nearer to the hive the better. You might check your local orange groves for a honey connection.

Old 01-13-2009, 06:37 PM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

Jayhawk is on target with this (as he well should be being a honey expert!) the type of honey that I recommended, is actually "straight from the hive" honey...thats the difference....it isnt processed and it doesnt have all the additives which can cause inflamation AND manuka honey is all natural.

Alot of "stuff' out there on additives and splenda/ nutrasweet....there was a time when they said it caused MS. It cant..but it can cause MS like reactions in people who use it enough.....that being said, its highly probable that sugar is better then the sugar substitutes and honey, in its natural form, would be better yet!! I found manuka honey in my local health food store just this past weekend..its delicious!
N

Closed Thread