It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2009, 12:21 PM   #1
(female)

lilsproutz HB User
I can't read my MRI report...spine

If anyone can help, I would appreciate it. I have classic symptoms of MS, my mother has MS, doctors have not ruled it out, but it is taking 3 years to diagnose. I am still waiting for a brain/eyes MRI. I have an upper quadrant homonymous quadrantonopia....??? My recent spine MRI has a part I do not understand

" a small focal area of abnormal intramedullary increased T2 signal"
"2 small foci of abnormal intramedullary signal at T3-4 and T6-7"

Can anyone tell me what this means...lesions????
Thanks

Old 02-07-2009, 05:45 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
Re: I can't read my MRI report...spine

hi there. The reason you cant read it, is because you arent a radiologist. You shouldnt be trying to read this...abnomalities do NOT mean lesions, the T2 signal is the type of machine that was used to do the test..the areas mentioned, were your Thoracic spine area and thats where something is showing, but it can be ANYTHING! Without seeing what it is showing, there is no way to know what it is, and even if you have th films- your not going to be able to read what it is you are looking at. Unfortunately, trying to read your own MRI is fruitless, unless you have medical training. Did they only do your T spine? Not your C spine or Brain? Its unusual to do a Tspine MRI for MS- unless every other area has shown to be normal...

Try NOT to worry about this. Call the Neuro on Monday, see if his nurse can have him call you back so you dont have to wait till your appointment to find out the results...Im assuming you do have another appt to get the results? ITs not worth worrying about..if there was anything on this which was a problem, an URGENT problem, they would have called you! Seriously, dont sweat it until you talk to your doctor, theres nothing you can do.

Im sorry your mom has MS. im not sure how severe or disabled she is, but in these days, finding out you have MS is an opportunity to take better care of yourself, to be more aware of what your body is telling you and to start meds if thats the directioin you choose to go. Many years ago (more then 10) there wasnt this opportunity. What your mom went thru, is NOT what you will go thru, should you find out you also have this disease. I work with people in their 50s+ older every day who have severe disabililitating MS- none of them would never suspect that I have MS as well. I dont discuss it at work- however with the meds I take (rebif) I never miss a day of work due to MS and I manage quite well with the disease...hang in there...panic is not an option!
Hugs
Nikki

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-07-2009, 07:37 AM   #3
(female)

lilsproutz HB User

Thank you for this insight, I know I shouldn't be trying to make sense of this, I also at the time had a neck MRI, I am waiting for my brain and eyes Mri, my eyes MRI is due to a visual defect which is mind boggling to them. I have had classic MS symptoms for almost 3 years, and I think that the doctor does not want to say anything till he receives my other MRI....I guess I am trying to get ahead of the game.

Old 02-07-2009, 10:44 AM   #4
(female)

Pens'nChalk HB User

And who would fault you for wanting a quicker interpretation ... in a more perfect world, the MRI would take place, the doctor would be on hand to consult with the technician during the process, directing any further clarifications needed, and would then sit with you to review the images and the indications. This diagnosis is not at all user-friendly ... lots of waiting, lots of second and third hand information ... I'm sorry you're left wondering, for now.

Sending prayers for you, and for us all.
~ Mother Teresa

Old 02-07-2009, 01:56 PM   #5
(female)

lilsproutz HB User

Thanks for your thoughts, by chance does anyone know what causes an upper left honomynous quadrantonopia?????? visual defect in both eyes "pie in the sky"????

Closed Thread