It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2009, 06:46 AM   #1
(female)

needhealing777 HB Userneedhealing777 HB User
do old lesions become active? Or is an active lesion a new lesion?

This hasn't been answered real clear to me..
For example when I am having an exacerbation for 2 months, is this a new lesion, if my MRI showed no new lesions, would this be an old lesion that has become active? Or what? What really is going on when one is having an exacerbation? My doctor thinks I am talking about the "left-over" symptoms that have stayed from the beginning of this disease..I am talking about the intensified symptoms that go on for a couple months and then go back to the more milder ones. IF old lesions become active, is this considered disease progression?

Old 02-14-2009, 08:23 AM   #2
Facilitator
(male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User
Re: do old lesions become active? Or is an active lesion a new lesion?

Old lesions scar over. The scars do not provide the same insulation ability as the original sheath. MS attacks the sheaths, not the scar material. Symptoms that stay with you- lingering effects- are the result of the scar tissue preventing adequate or efficient relays in your electrical messages.

Disease progression occurs as more and more lesions present and scar-over. Progression means that the lesions and scars increase in frequency resulting in less "normal" times for you. When your MS is in the progressive stage, you live with daily MS symptoms.

Progressive MS is still a state which is livable. I live daily with my MS, but it does not control my essence nor do I let it interfere with my independence. If I can do but one thing, I have independence.

Your MRI could miss a new lesion depending upon the location of the lesion. When my last MRI was done, there were new lesions, but the active lesions were on my thoracic spinal area. MS is a progressive disease. It does not matter whether you can see new lesions or not- MS is progressive. The difference is that each of us is unique and the MS will progress at different rates. For some the rate is as slow as lichen for others it is fast as a hare. Please do not let any exacerbation "get you down". Count your daily blessings and know that you are rich.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-14-2009, 09:06 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Snoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB User
Re: do old lesions become active? Or is an active lesion a new lesion?

The MRI is a great diagnostic tool, however, the MRI does not tell the whole story of your MS and how you are doing.

You can have an exacerbation without new lesions. You can also be feeling fine and have new lesions.

An exacerbation can mean old damage or new in the Central Nervous System (CNS). Simply put: your CNS is mis-communicating/mis-firing which in turn causes symptoms, either those symptoms that come and go, permanent symptoms and exacerbations.

Lesions, symptoms and exacerbations are all a common part of this disease.

Last edited by Snoopy61; 02-14-2009 at 09:36 AM.

Closed Thread