It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2009, 01:25 PM   #1
(female)

PetiteTattoo HB User
Question Feeling "small" anyone?!

(Also posted on the Lupus board since I'm still undiagnosed, trying to figure it all out while I "wait")

Well, this is certainly a "new" one for me. I don't post often (because I can find most commonalities already posted, and I can usually find answers when I look around), but I'm curious to see if anyone else has this disturbing, although transient, feeling. I haven't seen this discussed yet, so I apologize if it has been and I just missed it...

I was taking a shower last night & had the feeling that I might pass out. My legs were wobbly & then it hit me - I felt "small" (which then made me WANT to pass out). It was a perception thing, not an actual visual thing, I'm sure and it passed in a matter of several minutes. When I say I felt "small", I had the physical sensation that I was condensed/stunted... I had to grab the walls of the shower and pray because I couldn't "find" my legs to sit down!

I don't recall ever having this sensation in adulthood - although a light in my childhood bedroom brought it on/triggered it several times. Remembering this reminded me that it will pass & that seemed to ease the increasing panic.

I generally get an "overheated" feeling after a shower, almost certainly never during one. I just dress lightly until the feeling passes, and chalk it up to those demyelinating legions I have.

I'd appreciate any feedback you might have... Peace & bliss to all!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-22-2009, 01:34 PM   #2
Facilitator
(male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User
Re: Feeling "small" anyone?!

Never a "small feeling" but the legs- I can relate. As to overheating due to the shower, you might want to turn your shower temp down. My neuro told me to avoid the hot shower especially from the neck and up. The wobbly legs could be from the water temp. I have a built -in shower seat. You can also purchase a shower seat. This might alleviate some of your concerns.

Old 02-22-2009, 01:39 PM   #3
(female)

PetiteTattoo HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSJayhawk View Post
Never a "small feeling" but the legs- I can relate. As to overheating due to the shower, you might want to turn your shower temp down. My neuro told me to avoid the hot shower especially from the neck and up. The wobbly legs could be from the water temp. I have a built -in shower seat. You can also purchase a shower seat. This might alleviate some of your concerns.
Thank you. I'm about to say a tearful goodbye to hot showers, aren't I? One of my last "feel great" measures... sigh. It was my only relief from that oh so frequent "freezing" feeling I get (besides sleeping). I hadn't thought about the shower seat as we have a partial built-in one - if turning down the temp doesn't help, I'll remember to just shower seated! Thanks a bunch...

Old 02-22-2009, 04:35 PM   #4
Facilitator
(male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User

Try your shower hot like you want. But run it that way below your neck. If this works, then enjoy, if not, then start the downward temp. You might try just slight downturns each time until you find what works for you. I use to enjoy a HOT shower too, but it is a sacrifice necessary to maintain health. Not fun- I do empathize!!

Old 02-23-2009, 05:26 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

april1848 HB User

I never had the "small" feeling either, but I feel really lousy after a hot shower. Very weak legs and arms, and vertigo are my hot shower feelings. I used to love sitting in a hot bath for long periods of time, but I cut that out. I still use my shower hotter than I should, but I'm having trouble cutting them out. I usually don't turn the temp down until my arms get so weak I have problems washing my hair, and by then it's too late. Now that it's freezing here, I've found that I can tolerate warmer showers better. It's very different for me in the summer though. Sometimes, all I can do is just sit down!
Stopped 4/10 due to no insurance.

Old 02-23-2009, 09:18 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

glamour girl HB User

I also miss my Saturday night pampering. Hot bubble bath while doing the face mask. Hot showers makes me lethargic and gives me weak legs.
Changed all that to warm showers sometimes even finishing it off with the water temp even cooler. shower seats i use when I'm having a off day.

Old 02-24-2009, 04:42 PM   #7
(female)

PetiteTattoo HB User
Smile Re: Feeling "small" anyone?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by april1848 View Post
I never had the "small" feeling either, but I feel really lousy after a hot shower. Very weak legs and arms, and vertigo are my hot shower feelings. I used to love sitting in a hot bath for long periods of time, but I cut that out. I still use my shower hotter than I should, but I'm having trouble cutting them out. I usually don't turn the temp down until my arms get so weak I have problems washing my hair, and by then it's too late. Now that it's freezing here, I've found that I can tolerate warmer showers better. It's very different for me in the summer though. Sometimes, all I can do is just sit down!
I smiled when I read this, as it was -13 this morning with the wind chill I've been a good girl and lowered the temp on my showers... I wouldn't want that particular sensation to come back anytime soon - although, I've had it on & off since then - just to a much less noticeable degree. The last several years I've found Summer to be intolerable. Living in the Northeast is just sometimes too hot, and I don't do well in the heat or direct sun - I find myself quickly cranky & ill.

I told my primary about this (and some other oddities), and she told me that the neuro needs to know. I'm getting him a synopsis tomorrow, so maybe he can shed some light on this one (as to why I'm getting it).

I did some internet digging and came up with a NAME for this "sensation"... Micropsia/Macropsia (I have no idea which it is). Doesn't help me get rid of it, but at least I know WHAT it is

Hope you all enjoy your evening & I'll update as I can! Meanwhile, if anyone else has this disturbance I'd be appreciative if you share your experiences.

Last edited by PetiteTattoo; 02-24-2009 at 07:38 PM. Reason: Changed Micropsia to include Macropsia since I can't figure out which it would be exactly.

Old 02-24-2009, 05:59 PM   #8
(female)

em68 HB User

Yes, I can relate to your feeling "small". My showers are now tepid showers or I will be weak for the rest of the day if hot. But this feeling small never hits me in the shower, it's mostly when I'm standing or sitting. I will start feeling as thought the table is going farther and farther down or coming up to my face and then I feel like everything is oversized and I'm shrinking. I just wait it out now that I'm getting used to it.

Old 02-24-2009, 07:43 PM   #9
(female)

PetiteTattoo HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by em68 View Post
Yes, I can relate to your feeling "small". My showers are now tepid showers or I will be weak for the rest of the day if hot. But this feeling small never hits me in the shower, it's mostly when I'm standing or sitting. I will start feeling as thought the table is going farther and farther down or coming up to my face and then I feel like everything is oversized and I'm shrinking. I just wait it out now that I'm getting used to it.
You explain it so much better than I... thank you. I'm sorry that you feel this, though, since it's definitely a disturbing sensation. Very odd, our bodies are. Do you know if this is considered "common" or not (in your experience of course)? You're the only person (besides one other, ever) that I've talked to with this sensation. I almost didn't bring it up as I felt this was very weird, or maybe not so weird and it must be normal because no one ever talks about it... make sense?

Closed Thread