It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2009, 02:55 PM   #1
(female)

promiscous1girl HB User
how long does MS symptoms take to progress?

how long does MS symptoms take to progress?
Is there a cure for these symptoms
?

Old 02-22-2009, 03:36 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Snoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB User
Re: how long does MS symptoms take to progress?

There is no time frame for progression. Each person will have a different experience, the disease is differrent for everyone.

There is no cure for MS which means there is no cure for symptoms. The best that can be done is medication that might decrease or make the symptom feel as if it's gone - basiclly covering up the symptom. That is called symptom management.

There are Disease Modifying Drugs (DMDs) that you give yourself by injection and on that is given by infusion which MIGHT help SLOW progression but there is no gaurantee it will.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-22-2009, 03:40 PM   #3
Facilitator
(male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User

It could take a day to 30 years....It is hard to say.

There is no cure for MS symptoms. Some DMDs are available that may help, but med-free works too. Until there is a cure for MS, only the symptoms can be attacked. The symptoms, to me, are mere speed bumps. If you can handle the speed bumps, you will do fine, you just have to slow down. One good thing; when you slow down, you can stop and smell the roses!!

Old 02-22-2009, 06:32 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

"It could take a day to 30 years....It is hard to say" OR the disease might never progress at all.....no one's disease is the same, for many, many people they never progress, for others it comes on over years..it certainly doesnt happen over night.
DMDs supposedly slow down the risk of progression (I take Rebif ) and diet and exercise help manage symtoms- but there is no cure- and there is no answer to your question.

Old 02-27-2009, 06:15 AM   #5
(male)

skyhawk747 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSNik View Post
"It could take a day to 30 years....It is hard to say" OR the disease might never progress at all.....no one's disease is the same, for many, many people they never progress, for others it comes on over years..it certainly doesnt happen over night.
DMDs supposedly slow down the risk of progression (I take Rebif ) and diet and exercise help manage symtoms- but there is no cure- and there is no answer to your question.
Does MS eventually lead to death? or what happens over the years as the disease progresses?

Old 02-27-2009, 07:06 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bearygood HB UserBearygood HB User

The statistic for death directly as a cause of MS itself is less than 5% of the population, those with Progressive Relapsing Multiple Sclerosis (PRMS), the rarest type.

As the others have said, there is no exact timetable and some do not progress at all. Some progress and seem to reach a plateau, as if the MS "burns itself out". (Whether it does or not for real seems virtually impossible to tell). "Progression" can mean very different things, as sx can greatly vary from person to person. Additionally, there are many people with few lesions and a lot of sx and people with a lot of lesions with few sx. Just one of the mysteries of MS.

To those of us who were uninformed at the time of our dx (which I would venture to guess is a vast majority!), hearing the words "Multiple Sclerosis" is very scary. Although none of us like having the disease, I assure you that as you learn more about it, it does become less scary -- and some of the statistics might surprise you, like the percentage who wind up nonambulatory.

Last edited by Bearygood; 02-27-2009 at 07:06 AM.

Old 10-09-2010, 02:12 PM   #7
(female)

clairelouise HB User

i have been diagnosed with ms for 17 years now and this site has been the most informative as it not only tells you about the bad side of this awfull illness but also informs you of the better outcome which seems to be just as litely or possible as the more devistating of the outcomes ..that alone gives me hope ...thank you.

Closed Thread