It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2009, 10:08 PM   #1
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: kokomo IN u.s.
Posts: 12
sauce 007 HB User
Angry seriouslly, i have ms and scoliosis, i need help!

who else suffers from both?

 
Old 02-24-2009, 05:45 AM   #2
Facilitator
(male)
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Kansas, USA
Posts: 8,116
MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User
Re: seriouslly, i have ms and scoliosis, i need help!

I do not suffer from both, just MS. I have a friend with scoliosis; I know how much it affects her.

 
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 02-24-2009, 09:09 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Victoria,Australia
Posts: 830
glamour girl HB User
Re: seriouslly, i have ms and scoliosis, i need help!

I know how painful Scoliosis can be my friend also has it. I have MS; but
Don't know anyone who has both. My heart goes out to you. I can feel the fustration in your post.

 
Old 02-24-2009, 09:24 PM   #4
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 31
supernova_krose HB User
Re: seriouslly, i have ms and scoliosis, i need help!

How much degree of curvature is your scoliosis? Is the scoliosis causing you pain?

I've got scoliosis, but the degree of curvature is less than 30 degrees, so too small to really be treated for (other than braces as a child to stabilize it.) If the degree of curvature is too large, it can cause problems with lung capacity, or damage other internal organs. My friend's daughter had multiple curves, the largest of which was 80 degrees, and she had to have surgery where the doctor fused a large part of her back. They can do the surgery now without putting metal bars in, and recovery doesn't involve wearing a cast for a year like it did when I was a child (and one of my best friends had such a cast in high school.)

If you need information about scoliosis, try posting at a spinal disorders message board, you may get more help there. Or, try telling the folks here what problems you're having because of the complicating factor of scoliosis with MS.

Are your doctor's helping you at all?

Good luck to you,

Kay

 
Old 02-24-2009, 09:44 PM   #5
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: seattle, wa, usa
Posts: 45
lindkaye3 HB User
Re: seriouslly, i have ms and scoliosis, i need help!

Hi there;

I have both, scoliosis and MS. My scoliosis started when I was about 10. I ended up wearing a brace for several years and it did help some. I have an "s" curve. After having my 1st daughter, my upper curve started getting worse to the point I had a 50 degree curve and needed surgery. I had rods put in and a couple years after taken out as I was having issues with them. At this time, I have a few problems with my back aching at times, and not being able to bend, but thats about it. As for the MS, I was just recently diagnosed with this. I also have RSD (reflex sympathetic dystrophy) in my leg after my total knee replacement -which gives me a great deal of pain and issues with lack of mobility. I am hoping the MS does not proceed in this area also. I know scoliosis can be painful. Are you under a dr's care for the soliosis? Wish you luck and if you need to talk - please feel free to contact me. Hang in there.

 
Old 02-25-2009, 10:15 AM   #6
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: canada
Posts: 168
popstarrdiva HB User
Exclamation Re: seriouslly, i have ms and scoliosis, i need help!

Hello!!!
I am soo sorry that you are suffering so much! I am, however excited that you said that you have RSD/CRPS....
I have RSD/CRPS and am being investigated for MS. There has been a link proven by a study last spring by Dr Shulman linking a higher incidence of RSD/CRPS in MS patients. There was another Dr who indicated that it is actually not just a higher incidence, but 1 in 5 MS'ers who have it.
I posted about this and no one responded. I am wondering if some of the people my MS specialist has will develop CRPS later on in life. In 2000 patients with MS there is 1 so far and 2 if I end up having MS.
I think we need to get the word out to people with MS so they can get fast treatment to settle it down before worsening and spreading. Especially since this population is at a greater risk!!!!

Godd Luck

 
Old 02-25-2009, 10:20 AM   #7
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: canada
Posts: 168
popstarrdiva HB User
Cool Re: seriouslly, i have ms and scoliosis, i need help!

Hi, Sorry!!!
I have one more question for you...
I have been looking for someone with both RSD/CRPS and MS. Do you take DMD's??? Because we can't get hurt at all and needles KILL, what are you and your Dr doing??? How are you handling this?

Thanks sooooo much in advance!
Sorry to bombard, but I have been looking for almost a year for someone to get an answer.

Thanks

 
Old 02-25-2009, 06:26 PM   #8
Newbie
(female)
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 7
em68 HB User
Re: seriouslly, i have ms and scoliosis, i need help!

I have both but am so surprised that the condition goes along with the m.s. I was diagnosed with scoliosis at 12 yrs but never related the two at all. Maybe at the time the doctors had no clue.

 
Old 02-25-2009, 06:48 PM   #9
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: kokomo IN u.s.
Posts: 12
sauce 007 HB User
Re: seriouslly, i have ms and scoliosis, i need help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSJayhawk View Post
I do not suffer from both, just MS. I have a friend with scoliosis; I know how much it affects her.

 
Old 02-25-2009, 06:54 PM   #10
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: kokomo IN u.s.
Posts: 12
sauce 007 HB User
Re: seriouslly, i have ms and scoliosis, i need help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSJayhawk View Post
I do not suffer from both, just MS. I have a friend with scoliosis; I know how much it affects her.
New to posts & message boards. Thanks for reply anyway though.

Last edited by sauce 007; 02-25-2009 at 07:32 PM.

 
Old 02-25-2009, 07:07 PM   #11
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: kokomo IN u.s.
Posts: 12
sauce 007 HB User
Re: seriouslly, i have ms and scoliosis, i need help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by em68 View Post
I have both but am so surprised that the condition goes along with the m.s. I was diagnosed with scoliosis at 12 yrs but never related the two at all. Maybe at the time the doctors had no clue.
Dr.'s say scoliosis was there @ young age, but I've been very active and fit till this last yr., yr.1/2. I'm not sure about them having a connection, but rebif & fatigue make it hard to have intrest in phy.therapy. I've done fairly well w/ MS. Since this back issue it seems like a circle. Thanks for the reply

 
Old 02-25-2009, 07:09 PM   #12
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: kokomo IN u.s.
Posts: 12
sauce 007 HB User
Re: seriouslly, i have ms and scoliosis, i need help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sauce 007 View Post
Dr.'s say scoliosis was there @ young age, but I've been very active and fit till this last yr., yr.1/2. I'm not sure about them having a connection, but rebif & fatigue make it hard to have intrest in phy.therapy. I've done fairly well w/ MS. Since this back issue it seems like a circle. Thanks for the reply

 
Old 02-25-2009, 07:15 PM   #13
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: kokomo IN u.s.
Posts: 12
sauce 007 HB User
Re: seriouslly, i have ms and scoliosis, i need help!

Thanks 4 reply!

 
Old 02-25-2009, 07:29 PM   #14
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: kokomo IN u.s.
Posts: 12
sauce 007 HB User
Re: seriouslly, i have ms and scoliosis, i need help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by supernova_krose View Post
How much degree of curvature is your scoliosis? Is the scoliosis causing you pain?

I've got scoliosis, but the degree of curvature is less than 30 degrees, so too small to really be treated for (other than braces as a child to stabilize it.) If the degree of curvature is too large, it can cause problems with lung capacity, or damage other internal organs. My friend's daughter had multiple curves, the largest of which was 80 degrees, and she had to have surgery where the doctor fused a large part of her back. They can do the surgery now without putting metal bars in, and recovery doesn't involve wearing a cast for a year like it did when I was a child (and one of my best friends had such a cast in high school.)

If you need information about scoliosis, try posting at a spinal disorders message board, you may get more help there. Or, try telling the folks here what problems you're having because of the complicating factor of scoliosis with MS.

Are your doctor's helping you at all?

Good luck to you,

Kay
Not much curvature. treatment so far phy.therapy.I'm so tired from the MS& shots, i don't want to move...but of course the less active the worse the pain. I feel like this is a cycle! thanks for your post & luck as well.

Last edited by sauce 007; 02-25-2009 at 07:31 PM.

 
Old 02-25-2009, 08:21 PM   #15
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: kokomo IN u.s.
Posts: 12
sauce 007 HB User
Re: seriouslly, i have ms and scoliosis, i need help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by popstarrdiva View Post
Hello!!!
I am soo sorry that you are suffering so much! I am, however excited that you said that you have RSD/CRPS....
I have RSD/CRPS and am being investigated for MS. There has been a link proven by a study last spring by Dr Shulman linking a higher incidence of RSD/CRPS in MS patients. There was another Dr who indicated that it is actually not just a higher incidence, but 1 in 5 MS'ers who have it.
I posted about this and no one responded. I am wondering if some of the people my MS specialist has will develop CRPS later on in life. In 2000 patients with MS there is 1 so far and 2 if I end up having MS.
I think we need to get the word out to people with MS so they can get fast treatment to settle it down before worsening and spreading. Especially since this population is at a greater risk!!!!

Godd Luck
They say scoliosis has been there since childhood20-25yrs. ago. I pulled or injured back and have yet to recover. I know less phy.thearpy=more pain, but it's sooo hard to do when your fatigue. If i treat MS i don't have the energy to treat back pain. thanks for info. i will gossip to all! good luck

 
Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
i need help understanding my mri neck and back ss 104 Pain Management 1 12-15-2009 02:56 AM
Bad scoliosis--need help with treatments danabott Back Problems 7 01-03-2009 06:00 PM
Daughter - 10 yrs old - just diagnosed with scoliosis wimzie Back Problems 3 08-21-2006 03:45 PM
I have just been diagnosed with scoliosis.. Babybrit Bone Disorders 6 06-20-2006 01:06 AM
Scoliosis...I need help NOW ladybug8372 Back Problems 9 10-19-2005 01:16 AM




Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Join Our Newsletter

Stay healthy through tips curated by our health experts.

Whoops,

There was a problem adding your email Try again

Thank You

Your email has been added











All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:28 PM.



Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.com™
Copyright and Terms of Use © 1998-2014 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!