It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-28-2009, 01:20 PM   #1
(female)

plus1more HB User
MS dizziness?

I'm not on MS meds yet, or anything new, but I am rediculously dizzy. I'm trying to push on to get through my busy day, but now it's making me nauseous. I've been this way for four days now. It feels like I'm getting more dizzy, if that makes sense. What can be done or taken for this? How long can this dizziness last? Could it be new lesions in the brain? I haven't had a new MRI since January, but I think the neurologist is going to order a new brain MRI in June. Help please.

Old 05-28-2009, 04:06 PM   #2
(female)

BoredInNC HB User
Re: MS dizziness?

Quote:
Originally Posted by plus1more View Post
I'm not on MS meds yet, or anything new, but I am rediculously dizzy. I'm trying to push on to get through my busy day, but now it's making me nauseous. I've been this way for four days now. It feels like I'm getting more dizzy, if that makes sense. What can be done or taken for this? How long can this dizziness last? Could it be new lesions in the brain? I haven't had a new MRI since January, but I think the neurologist is going to order a new brain MRI in June. Help please.

I am so sorry you are going through this. When I was first diagnosed 5 years ago, one of the main problems I had was dizziness and numbness in my mouth. It is so scary sometimes because you don't know if it is the MS or is it's something else.. Anyways. I am not on any meds as I choose not to go that route. It took about 6 weeks for me and the dizziness was gone. It seemed to lessen and lesson and finally go away, about the time I was used to it... I didn't take anything but some extra rest and a few days off of work...I had to tell my boss because I swear it looked and felt like I was drunk at work and I didn't want anyone to think of me that way. I hope you feel better soon......

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-28-2009, 07:13 PM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

HI. Dizziness can be an MS thing and yes, it can be caused by a new attack...it can also be caused by Vertigo, which is common in MS patients.

There are drugs which your doctor can prescribe to help you thru this- and hopefully reduce the feeling of dizziness. You should probably give him a call.

Being on MS meds will not change this - however, being on MS meds MIGHT or MIGHT NOT lessen any attacks, which would reduce your chances of both new symtoms and permanent disability..its worth looking into. I happen to be an advocate for MS drugs, specifically Rebif, but thats due to my great expereince.

In the meantime, you DO need to relax and not stress out...if you feel that your doctor needs to know, (and he probably should) give him a call and let him give you a quick check..he might want the MRI alittle bit sooner just to see what is going on..

Hang in there...and do yourself a favor, dont tell anyone who doesnt need to know, unless you are really being affected by this. My own personal experience with disclosing at work has been TERRIBLE. And, once its out there, you cant take it back. These things tend to right themselves eventually..thats how MS is...and if you can hang in there and see if it does, youll be grateful you did. Right now, it might seem monumental in your world, but Im willing to bet, not too far down the road will be an end to it, or a drug to help it, which will get you feeling like yourself again.
Hugs.
Nikki

Old 05-28-2009, 07:42 PM   #4
Facilitator
(male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by plus1more View Post
I'm not on MS meds yet, or anything new, but I am rediculously dizzy. I'm trying to push on to get through my busy day, but now it's making me nauseous.
You have answered your own problem- you need to stop pushing yourself. If you continue to do this and your body cannot handle it, your body will react. "For every action there is an equal opposite reaction"- Not quite true in this case, but your body is limited on how far you can push yourself. If you reach a breaking point, it may require more time to recover.

Try putting your drive from fourth gear to second gear (so to speak) and let your body smooth out the kinks before shifting back into 4th. If I drive my vehicle with the tachometer on the red line, it is a matter of time until something breaks. Slow down and smell the roses and enjoy God's wonderful creation.
Eternally blessed and eternally optimistic!<><

Old 05-29-2009, 09:27 PM   #5
(male)

Freestyle HB User

Please rest. Vertigo was one of the first symptoms I had; like others have mentioned it appears to be common with us..I'm slowly learning that my days need to be a little less busy and tense than they used to be or I pay a price-and that price can manifest in different ways. Watch the heat, also..even though you probably know this, sometimes we do things we know we shouldn't...I really hope the dizziness stops, that is a terrible feeling..

Old 06-01-2009, 10:45 PM   #6
(female)

plus1more HB User

Thank you all so much for taking the time to respond. You don't realize how touched I am by your words. I'm a mom and I feel so guilty resting, but I did rest. I feel a tiny bit better but still feel like this I realized I should rest because I don't want to pay a bigger price like blindness. I couldn't get both kids to school today because I can't drive like this, so one stayed home while a friend took the other. I saw the neurologist, and she gave me Meclizine 25 MG every 8 hours for the dizziness. She said she wants to give me steroids again, but I don't know if she meant IV or oral. What do you think? She is sending me for an MRI, bad thing is I'm claustrophobic. It's going to be really hard for me especially when they lock that cage around my head for the brain MRI. I come out crying every time. I can't get used to those things. I'm waiting for the blood results to come in, for proper kidney function for MRI dye injection. I think they'll be in tomorrow so I can make an appointment for that MRI. You think the dizziness is more an eye thing because when I close one eye, I kind of feel and see better. Again, thank you all so so much for your kind words and helping me see what I couldn't.

Old 06-02-2009, 03:31 AM   #7
Facilitator
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

Plus1more- as far as the MRI goes, try your hardest to get thru it! This particular test can tell the doctors more about what is going on then any other test out there. Ask your doctor for a Valium to take half an hour before the test- it wont skew the results and WILL help you relax. Its all mind over matter.
Im assuming you havent had one before? They dont hurt at all...and the "cage' you talk about is wide open, you can see thru it. Talk to the tech who sets you up before it starts and let him/ her know you are afraid....they will walk you thru it. The biggest piece of advice I can give you is close your eyes before it starts. ONce you are on the table, before they even leave the room, close your eyes. Dont open them again until it is over. This test is ALL mind over matter. You CAN do it and YOU SHOULD do it.

The dizziness might be vertigo from MS, or it might be your eyes- OR it could be an inner ear thing- there is no way to know for sure until you get this over with. Make that your mantra the whole time you are in there! I play a game while Im in the MRI and think about all the people Ive communicated with on this board, trying to give everyone a face....sillly, yes, but it help to pass the time and keep my mind off the noises.
Resting is the very best thing for you and remember not to feel bad about doing it. You cant take care of anyone until you take care of yourself.
Hang in there...
Nikki

Closed Thread