It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-29-2009, 04:56 PM   #1
(female)

drfoodgirl HB User
active exacerbation during pregnancy

Hi,
I'm new to the board and have been looking for women who have had exacerbations during pregnancy. It seems every time I look for something I get the typical information about relative scarcity of exacerbations during pregnancy. Well, when we found out I was pregnant we had all the normal pregnancy worries, but we remember thinking that my MS should be less of a worry for a while. Unfortunately, I'm one of the exceptions to the rule and I have had symptoms of an attack for the last 6 weeks (weeks 16-22 of my pregnancy). The symptoms are still ongoing--numbness on most of my right side, weakness on my right side, dizziness, the usual fatigue. I am having lots of trouble walking, I can't drive, and I have no energy. I had 5 days of solumedrol (1/4 the typical dose) about 3 weeks into the attack when things were getting progressively worse. It seemed to help with the weakness for a few days, but then I got migraines (which I've had every time I was on steroids),nausea and vomiting. After that, most of my symptoms got worse. This is my longest, and most unexpected exacerbation. My doctors (OB and neuro) are worried that I am depressed because of all of this. They want me to take prozac.
The whole situation makes me feel pretty lonely, so I'm hoping to find some other women who have had exacerbations during pregnancy. I'd love to hear anyone's story. Thanks for your time...
drfoodgirl

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-29-2009, 05:10 PM   #2
Facilitator
(male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User
Re: active exacerbation during pregnancy

I am not a woman, nor have I been pregnant! Your case may be scarce, but I am sure there are others out there like you either now or experienced.

My wife had what you are experiencing, For her, however, it was not MS but a huge baby who constantly lay against her nerves. I know how lonely she felt because she was confined to bed rest/wheelchair for the last 6 months of her pregnancy.

I cannot do anything other than to lift you up in prayers.
Eternally blessed and eternally optimistic!<><

Old 05-29-2009, 06:49 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Snoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by drfoodgirl View Post
Hi,
I'm new to the board and have been looking for women who have had exacerbations during pregnancy. It seems every time I look for something I get the typical information about relative scarcity of exacerbations during pregnancy.
I am sorry. There seems to be quite a bit of mis-information about MS and pregnancy.

Getting pregnant does not protect women from having relapses. You can have a relapse at anytime for any reason....Even when pregnant.

Having a relapse during pregnancy is not as uncommon as you might think. My neuro even warned me about the possibilty of a relapse during my pregnancies.

I have 2 children who were born after my diagnosis. I didn't relapse during or after the pregnancies.

I hope you start to feel better soon.

Old 05-30-2009, 06:48 AM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

Just so you dont feel alone; I know of three women who ALL had relapses during pregnancy- 2 while they were pregnant, one when she went to deliver. None of them felt good during their pregnancies and all of them swore this was the only baby they were having.
They too, had hoped that they would have MS free Pregnancies, but it was not to be had.
I dont think its as rare as you read about....however, I do think there is something to the whole hormonal thing with pregnancy, it just doesnt always work FOR the MS patient..
Hang in there, this too will pass, and at least you will have a "prize" at the end of this! Have a healthy baby!
NIkki

Closed Thread