It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2009, 01:02 PM   #1
(female)

twink65 HB User
Question Generic for Provigil out yet ?

I was wondering if anyone else was having problems with getting provigil right now. It has helped my fatigue so much. I have been out for two weeks now and am starting to feel the effects. My neuro had me go on line and down load the free 7-day coupon. Because it is so expensive now they are only offering a new one called nuvigil which leads me to believe the generic is getting close to coming out ? Has anyone had any good benefits from any other medications that help with fatigue ? Im desperate and have fallen asleep about three times just posting this ( just kidding )

twink

Old 06-09-2009, 03:09 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
Re: Generic for Provigil out yet ?

Modafinil is the generic for Provigil and has been out for quite some time...
look into it!
Nikki

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-09-2009, 09:23 PM   #3
(female)

twink65 HB User

Why is my pharmacy tellimg me its not ? should I check another pharmacy ?

Old 06-10-2009, 02:40 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

Yes, you probably should. You can verify this yourself....its been out since 2006- and plenty of people are using it. Its also out under several other names...
Generics are available after 21 years...any drug can have copies (generics) at this time...and believe me, this drug was quick to have generics marketed. Some of the generics were pulled from the shelves in Canada- but are now avaialble again....but in the US, you can get this drug. You might have to have your doctor request it for you...but its available. Ask your doc about it, bet you they are willing to write a script specifically for the generic. And, if your doc doesnt know about it, then have THEM do the research! There is absolutely no excuse for a pharmacy or doctor NOT to know what is going on out there. ...he/ they might be reimbursed for prescribing the name brand, this goes on all the time; however, your insurance company will thank you for using the generic!

Its interesting these days how most pharmacies are only aware of what they are "reading" ...meaning, if the doc doesnt write out the name of the generic, and they dont fill it regularly, they dont know it exists...but this isnt your pharmacies fault as much as it is the doctors. But, thats a whole other thread! Ask your doctor specfiically why you cant take this drug, ask them to do the homework, and then insist on them writing the script for it. Believe me, its available and its much cheaper!
Give it a go, you have nothing to lose.
Nikki

Last edited by MSNik; 06-10-2009 at 02:42 PM.

Old 09-28-2009, 05:52 PM   #5
(female)

jrsygirl HB User

I was told by the NMSS, my doctor and my pharmacy, that modafinil is the chemical name for provigil. It is not available as a generic at this time. My insurance company refuses to refill my prescription. It is no longer covered because they said it is not approved for MS. It has helped me so much and I am very upset and going to appeal their decision. I can't wait for a generic to come out, I'll be first in line!

Old 09-28-2009, 06:12 PM   #6
(female)

jrsygirl HB User

I am going to call my neuro and ask him about Alertec. I think this is provigil marketed in Canada and can be purchased on line.

Old 09-29-2009, 07:25 AM   #7
(male)

Sfloridamale HB User

Hi,

Yesterday my nuero was able to get nuvigil approved for me . I know this thread is about provigil, however it appears that this works well for fatique. Anyone on nuvigil? Any side effects are issues?

Old 09-29-2009, 09:58 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

lilc HB User

I'm late on this thread, but hey, I just got back to the forum!
Modafinil is indeed the generic for Provigil and it has been on the market for a year or two - just not in the US, according to my AZ and Mexico pharmacies. I got a 4 month supply in Mexico over a year ago. It wasn't cheap, but far less than what I was paying at COSTCO ($250 a month). My (overpriced) insurance is now paying for it, so haven't had to go to Mexico in a while. But the generic worked EXACTLY like the US version.

Provigil has literally saved my job. Beyond the whole fatigue issue, it has cleared the fog from my head (the fog I had for 3 years prior to starting Provigil). I can actually THINK and TALK like I used to. That is more precious to me than, well, just about anything. I don't mind if I need to take a nap sometimes, as long as I can be lucid when I am awake. This stuff is NOT "speed", I don't know what it is, aside from a Godsend for me.

Warning: If you are supposed to be a techie-geek-guru and you have been taking Provigil, do NOT let your rx lapse for a week. Bad, very bad...

I haven't heard of nuvigil.

Old 10-11-2009, 08:07 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lisa_P HB UserLisa_P HB UserLisa_P HB UserLisa_P HB User

My doctor had to try me on a couple other drugs for a while so he would have "ammunition" to justify the prescription to Medicare. He had to write a letter to them. I think the same thing would apply to most insurance companies?

Old 10-13-2009, 07:12 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

lilc HB User

Lisa, you are still here! How are you???
It seems nobody (insurers) wants to pay for Provigil for MS patients. Glad your doc got ammunition, sorry it was necessary...
Again, Mexico and Canada have generics, but it is getting tougher to find it at Mexican border towns...
For me, without Provigil, I'd need to be on disability. Or residing under a freeway overpass (which is probably more likely).

Old 10-14-2009, 08:59 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

I only got meds AFTER I was on disability! I feel like a fraud some days because the meds are working so well, you know? But before? I don't know how I'd be without them... It was getting really bad, the fatigue, the flares were daily, and the exacerbations were downright scary... Since I've been on Rebif, my MRI is unchanged and the Provigil... Well, that was scary the first time I tried it, but we got the dose figured out and now I take it every day and am quite functional. When I started Rebif, my neuro had me start taking 400 UI Vitamin D3, and THAT was just miraculous. I think it was more beneficial than the Provigil (for the fatigue). And I started taking a regular multi-vitamin a few months ago, so the Vit D is doubled, though I don't think it's D3 in the multi...

I'm feeling really good these days.

Old 10-26-2009, 09:08 AM   #12
(female)

soulwise HB User

Your insurance company is wrong. I know because I took this for fibro fatigue but i am lurking here as my sis has ms and my insurance covered for a bit then changed it to the preauthorized first section of the coverage and now they won't and i am sure it's due to cost or ignorance. in fact the Very Well Known insurance co pharmacy rep replied to me that this was a narcotic (which it is not at least not in my book) which is why they were so strict on it. they have no clue. Anyway their other reason is they will only approve what it is FDA labeled for which isn't fibro but it is for MS and actually the FDA guideline says: sleep disorder, apnea, shift work disorder (which this one really gripes me - if u work nights we will approve it in other words) and MS. Copy it and show it to your insurance company. Nuvigil is just as pricey but so far they are covering it at the higher copay but better than nothing i guess.

Old 10-26-2009, 09:28 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

I think nuvigil is a form of provigil -- same company, a few tweaks... It's a way to get a brand name version out there since provigil is going generic?

Old 10-27-2009, 06:16 AM   #14
(female)

jrsygirl HB User

It is not approved for MS. That is why my insurance won't pay for it. If you look at the website, it lists 3 things it is approved for. I am in an appeal process with my insurance company now.

Old 10-27-2009, 10:20 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

My doctor gave me a week sample supply of Provigil first. But I had a really bad reaction so I quit taking it after the 3rd or 4th day. Then we tried Amantadine. That was GREAT ...for about a month, but I stayed on it for over a year because I just never got sick with anything over the winter... Take your blessings where they appear, yes?

Then I finally got on Disability, so it was going to be easier, right? No. I asked if we could try the Provigil again since I was really getting kind of deperate (flares with fatigue and balance were a daily thing). He said sure, but the insurance company said NO.

Let's see, then we went through the formulary together and found an ADHD drug that might work. Didn't work for my fatigue in the least little bit. SO. He got me another week sample and by changing the dose, everything was finally GOOD. Finally, the Doc wrote a letter stating we had tried these other two drugs that are approved, but that the Provigil seemed to be the only one working for me. They approved the exception and now life is good.

Closed Thread