HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Multiple Sclerosis (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/multiple-sclerosis/)
-   -   total fatigue and muscle weakness (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/multiple-sclerosis/701926-total-fatigue-muscle-weakness.html)

sdevine 07-03-2009 01:23 PM

total fatigue and muscle weakness

I have not been diagnosed with MS, but it is something I am looking into. My symptoms started about 6 years ago with neck spasms and being bone tired. Then things started to get better and only recently have things gotten worse. I also was not myself, couldn't think of right words, and was really crabby which was odd for me.

I finally went to the doctor after having almost constant neck spasms. I had no injury but they would just not quit and got worse. I also had terrible fatigue and muscle aches, some numbness in my hands (although it was only in the winter). I was put on 50,000 units of vitamin D3 thinking this was my problem. Well, all my symptoms went away. Then they did a level on me and found my vitamin D was too high and took me off of it. My calcium level was normal.

After 2 weeks off the vitamin D3, all my symptoms came back. I still have a sore neck but not nearly as bad.

My other labs were normal. Lyme's, PTH, TSH, hemoglobin, etc. They are sending me to a neurologist but since I don't have that many symptoms--- I don't know if it's worth it.

My main problem is the crabbiness/irritability (which is not ME at all) and muscle weakness and being tired. I didn't even realize how weak I was until I got on the vitamin D. I was so tired I was falling asleep at 5 pm--not me either. I used to have so much energy.

I am 38 years old and like I said-- this started mildly about 6 years ago and sort of went away for a while. When I was on tramadol for back pain temporarily, my other symptoms went away too.

I would just much rather stay on the vitamin D but they won't let me.

Is it possible this could even be MS without other symptoms?

Let me add a few more symptoms I recently learned could be related. Basically over the last 2 years, I have had major word-finding difficulties and substituting the wrong words. We even joke that my kids know my language because I have gotten to the point I just say the first word that pops into my head because it's funny: Go hang up your coat in the fridge.

Concentrating, forgetting. I need lists for everything.

I also have this weird memory thing where my brain will put a "long ago" label on something I KNOW happened just the other day. Hard to describe but if you have had it, you know what I mean.

MSJayhawk 07-03-2009 05:26 PM

Re: total fatigue and muscle weakness

:wave: Welcome to the boards. I truly hope you do not have MS, but if you do, welcome to the MS boards and family!!

I think I would definitely see a MS Neurologist. You have had many of the prerequisite tests done; therefore, your time to diagnosis should be pretty good (I HOPE!!!). Total fatigue and muscle weakness- I can empathize. This afternoon I was so tired I took a short nap and awoke 3 hours later!

It is difficult to fight the fatigue. I can also empathize with your irritability and choice of words. When my brain is tired my speech, cognition, etc. are clearly "broken". Rest is my only cure.

Work and kids can stress you too. You need to look for trigger patterns and adjust your life. A daily journal can help you and may help your doctor too. Track when your symptoms present and what you were doing previous to that (what did you eat, what was the temperature.....). You may be able to ascertain your triggers and this can bring some normalcy back to your life. :angel:

Arggg 07-04-2009 10:52 AM

Re: total fatigue and muscle weakness

You could be pre-menopausal. You're describing some of my symptoms. Don't jump to the conclusion that you have MS.

A chiropractor might help you with your muscle spasms and other aches and pains. If he adjusts extremities (hands, feet, etc.) as well as spines, you're in luck. In fact, if your neck is out of alignment, it could cause really serious symptoms, including fatigue, numbness in your hands, and brain fog.