It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2009, 12:03 AM   #1
(male)

opus934 HB User
Doing permanent damage?

Often, during exercise, I experience left-side weakness. If I exercise long enough, my left leg will experience virtual paralysis for a while, until I cool down. Although it goes back to "normal" after some period of time, I'm wondering if there's a possibility of inflicting some kind of permanent damage by over-exercising. Any thoughts?

Steve

Old 08-15-2009, 06:53 AM   #2
Facilitator
(male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User
Re: Doing permanent damage?

Welcome to the boards!

Overexercising can heat the body up or exhaust the muscle or both. Any of these could be attributable to your concern. You might want to time yourself and then the next time cut your exercise period in half to avoid the problem.

When I start to get tired, I stop and stretch and then I will resume exercise later in the day.

You might try aqua therapy or pool exercises in cooler water. You can get the benefits of a workout without overheating. A trainer experienced with working with MSers is also beneficial. A good trainer should be able to help you develop and set-up a workout routine which will account for your needs. End your exercises with some stretching and a tepid shower. Cold compresses might help with problem areas.

Keep up the exercises, but avoid over-doing it!!
Eternally blessed and eternally optimistic!<><

Last edited by MSJayhawk; 08-15-2009 at 06:54 AM. Reason: oops

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-15-2009, 07:16 AM   #3
(male)

opus934 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSJayhawk View Post
Overexercising can heat the body up or exhaust the muscle or both.
Yes, but is the situation temporary, or is there likely to be some permanent damage, even though the leg feels ok later?

Steve

Old 08-15-2009, 01:30 PM   #4
Facilitator
(male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by opus934 View Post
Yes, but is the situation temporary, or is there likely to be some permanent damage, even though the leg feels ok later?

Steve
In my opinion the only permanent damage might occur if the nerve was being attacked through demyelination. I was told that if there is no improvement for 3 years, then the damage is usually permanent. With MS, one just cannot say or declare something as being certain. I would not keep doing what you have been doing because repetitive stress can build until there is a relapse. Stress, in my opinion, can be cognitive, physical, or spiritual.
Eternally blessed and eternally optimistic!<><

Last edited by MSJayhawk; 08-15-2009 at 01:32 PM. Reason: typo

Closed Thread