It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2009, 08:00 PM   #1
(female)

sweetsourcat HB User
How do I go about getting a second opinion?

I have symptoms that sound a lot like MS. I have actually thought about this for years before going to the doctor. This last "episode" I had was enough to make me absolutely sure I wasn't going nuts...

but I got the diagnosis of anxiety.

I know there is something wrong with me, maybe it is MS and maybe it is not. But my primary doctor is convinced it is all in my head. I full well know what anxiety is and I do have it. But my anxiety isn't causing the other symptoms. It is the reverse.

I live in a rural area and fear going to another doctor within our network. I know I need to get a second opinion from someone who is actually listening when I talk. Do I just call someone and say "I would like to come to you for a second opinion?"

I really feel strongly about this. I am all nervous about even going to my doctor and it took me almost a month to get there because I figured he wasn't going to listen. This may be a very simple answer but I can't figure it out. I know what I need to do I just don't know how.

Thanks

Old 08-19-2009, 08:16 PM   #2
(female)

vwick77 HB User
Re: How do I go about getting a second opinion?

What are the symptoms you are experiencing??

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-19-2009, 08:31 PM   #3
Facilitator
(male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User

Welcome. Are you being treated for anxiety? Anxiety can manifest with symptoms similar to MS.

A second opinion is a good thing. I live in the rural area. I drive two hours one way to see a MS Neurologist. The distance is far, but her opinion and treatment is priceless. If you cannot get a referral, contact the MS Society or Association nearest to your domicile. They can help you arrange a referral.

Please keep in mind that the diagnosis may take some time. It requires much perseverance and the patience of Job. Please know that you are not alone.
Eternally blessed and eternally optimistic!<><

Old 08-19-2009, 09:20 PM   #4
(female)

sweetsourcat HB User

The whole idea of MS started when my muscles in my hands started contracting involuntarily...
But the last "episode" I am talking about went like this...

Huge stressful event of breaking up with my boyfriend...(we worked it out) I didn't sleep for 2 days and one day I even ended up sleeping in my truck. It was horrible rest and tons of stress... and then just weird stuff started happening. I was lightheaded to the point I had to have my daughter come cook for me. I was horribly nauseated, again. My vision in my right eye was messed up and at one point disappeared into just a huge white blob. Pins and needles in my feet. Pain and burning nerve pain in my legs and hands. I have Ehlers Danlos syndrome and I deal with pain often. This was totally different than any flareup issue from that. This felt like my hands and legs wanted to curl up inside me they hurt so bad. Obviously I was depressed and moody so i don't know if that is gonna count... lol. I had also like a foggy kind of confusion that i don't know how to explain other than not being able to remember how to do something i do often and having to ask for help. (and feeling like a moron) I had horrible pain and stiffness in both of my legs that got a lot worse in the afternoon/evening and i was so embarrassed to go out because i walked so weird. I wouldn't have been able to go out anyway because I was so tired. I rested all afternoon and was still exhausted. and I had this ticking in my head. I know it sounds ridiculous but I have had it before and it's worth mentioning. I also had the muscle contractions, but they were in my back. They were not cramps but it was like they were being used when they weren't.

I have many other symptoms that seem to come and go in clumps or i just don't notice them. Bladder issues, difficulty swallowing, nausea for no reason, recurring faint feelings, my hands are weak and i drop things constantly, gait issues, seizures, unexplained itching. But the thing that really made me nervous this last time is that I had this huge stressful event and then within days - Boom - all kinds of weirdo stuff was happening. It lasted about 6 days and then kinda just went away. to the point where I almost believed my doctor that it really was in my head. but I still have the irritating lingering crap and it seems to be getting worse.

I have had most of these symptoms before but never to this degree and during the same period of time. This was a clump of them.

I have very mild generalized anxiety disorder. It also comes and goes. If my life gets unusually stressful... I get anxious. Like when my husband became a Chicago police officer... made me anxious. Or having my first serious relationship after being divorced... made me anxious. I take less than 20 .5mg tablets of lorazepan a YEAR. It is very mild.

I just really want to know how to get a second opinion. I figured you would ask what symptoms... and about anxiety.

thanks.

Last edited by sweetsourcat; 08-19-2009 at 09:26 PM.

Old 08-20-2009, 11:04 AM   #5
Facilitator
(male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User

Emotions can cause MS symptoms to flourish. Anxiety can contribute to this too. Emotions can be like fertilizer on flowers- in just the right amounts the flowers grow, out of balance and the flowers die.

A second opinion can help separate the emotions/stress. MS symptoms will appear and then linger for 24 hours or more. Some symptoms can persist all our lives.

It appears that you have a record of your attacks and the events when they happened. As such, the journal should be shared with your doctor. This can help with a diagnosis. Do you have just anxiety? Anxiety and MS or? If your first doctor cannot corral all your problems as anxiety, then a second opinion is definitely needed (in my non-medical opinion).

Old 08-20-2009, 11:24 AM   #6
(male)

AntibioticMSer HB User

it's very informal, but still useful .....

What happens when you take a long hot shower? Sit in a hot tub for some period of time or steam room? Do these things effect you? Ken

Old 08-21-2009, 12:31 AM   #7
(female)

midgetbobjnr3 HB User

HI sweetsourcat,
My first doctor told me that it was all in my head! over 1 1/2 years ago. I came to the point where i belived him.
So just the other week i went to see another doctor and took all the wierd things that were happening to in on 2 pages.
He looked at them briefly and did a couple of small test like: he run a sharp obect on the soles of me feet, and got me to walk a line heel to toe,
and also to stand and look up at the roof then close my eyes.
I have had Optic neuritis for near 6 years now and have lost sight in my right eye.
oh and I am 26 yers old.
anyway, please go to another doctor and find out what could be wrong with you.
as of today i am on my way to see a neuro and get another MRI of brain and spine.
i have had two already
I know that it is hard after being told that your crazy, and then to put this out to another doctor but trust me it's worth it!
even if it takes 7 doctors you should really do it.
I hope i wont take that many. (wink)
I wish you the best of love and world of LUCK that you find a doctor that will listen to you
Many hugs
xoxoxox

Old 08-21-2009, 01:49 PM   #8
(female)

sweetsourcat HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by notasperfectasU View Post
it's very informal, but still useful .....

What happens when you take a long hot shower? Sit in a hot tub for some period of time or steam room? Do these things effect you? Ken
i pass out and/or feel like i will throw up. I never go in hot tubs or steam rooms because I have anemia and my doctor told me not to... so I think I have once in ten years.

thanks.

Old 08-21-2009, 02:05 PM   #9
(male)

AntibioticMSer HB User

SweetSourCat,
I could spend sometime explaining it, but if you hit Google Scholar and do a search on "Hot Bath Test", you'll note that you get peer reviewed medical journal articles about Multiple Sclerosis first. There will be other hits, but you might want to read some of this kind of support and print some to take to your doctor. I don't know that anxiety is a symptom.

DO you have a health plan that lets you see a Neuro of your choice? What makes it difficult to just see another doctor? Ken

Old 09-08-2009, 05:34 PM   #10
(female)

sweetsourcat HB User

"Hot Bath Test"

Can this reaction be caused from spending a day out in the sun and being hot? how long would this last?

I have medicare and Medicaid in illinois... not the greatest to work with.

thanks.

Old 09-08-2009, 07:30 PM   #11
(male)

AntibioticMSer HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetsourcat View Post
"Hot Bath Test"

Can this reaction be caused from spending a day out in the sun and being hot? how long would this last?

I have medicare and Medicaid in illinois... not the greatest to work with.

thanks.
Yes, most folks make the association with heat, but there are a few discerning folks who have shown that it's linked both humidity and heat (dew point). So for example, when we travelled to Arizonia a few summers ago, Kim did fine, wereas in the DC area Kim was less fine (DC is effectively built on a swamp - a lot of folks don't know that). There's a meteorologist who had MS that wrote about this years ago. That's how I happened upon the topic.

I don't know much about Illinois, much less about how healthcare works there. But, it seems to me that in most systems - there is a way to crank the issue up if you play squeeky wheel enough. I think most systems are designed to make administration of the system easy for the folks running the system. The key is being willing to show them you have more will power than the average person. At least, that's my take on it. Ken

Old 09-08-2009, 07:31 PM   #12
Facilitator
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetsourcat View Post
Can this reaction be caused from spending a day out in the sun and being hot? how long would this last?.
On a hot day, just 15 minutes outside can wipe me out for several hours or longer.

Closed Thread