It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2009, 04:35 AM   #1
(male)

xly HB User
Question Tysabri: Need advise from experienced users!

Hi Everybody,
I am 25 years old and I have been diagnosed with MS 3 yrs ago. My neurologist has just told me that he is considering switching me to Tysabri after being on rebif 44mg for 2.5 yrs. He discussed with me the PML risk of course, but he also advised me that he thinks that Tysabri is a strong option for me given that I currently can barely walk. Frankly, this is terribly frightening for somebody at my age and with my lifestyle, and I am strongly inclined to pick up his advise.

I would extremely appreciate all the advice and/or feedback I can get from current users of Tysabri ASAP so I can make an informed decision about this.

Thanks and hang in there everybody!

Old 09-16-2009, 01:19 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
Re: Tysabri: Need advise from experienced users!

xly, I wont be as good a reference as someone who is on Tysabri, but since we dont have allot of them posting, I wanted to give you my thoughts and also tell you, I had this same conversation with my Neuro less then 2 weeks ago.

First, according to your other posts, you are in the middle of an excaberation and are on Steroids, right? If Im right about that- dont do anything until you see how you recover from the relapse. Yes, Tysabri is strong stuff......but what my Neuro drills into my head is that if you start Tysabri, and this relapse was just a fluke - meaning you wont have another one for a few more years....then what happens 5 years from now, if you truly do progress and you are already on Tysabri? THere is "no where left to go" from already being on the strongest drug out there!

Rebif kept you healthy for this long....and this might be a fluke. OR, it might not be..but until you get your "legs" back and see how the steroids do for you..dont make any rash decisions. If in fact, the steroids dont help you....and the damage is done, then and only then , would I consider Tysabri as the next option.

Good luck....and I feel for you. This is one decision that stinks to have to make!
Nikki

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-20-2009, 03:42 PM   #3
(female)

amyjorgie HB User

I have been on tysabri for about 18 months. I have been doing really well with it. Some of my lesions reduced in size and I have only have 1 new lesion since I have been on it which is good for me. But it seemed to work better for me at first. I was having visual problems and numbness from the neck down. Now I only have slight numbness in my fingers and have had no real relapses for quick a while. Now I am starting to have some visual problems again. Also, one side effect that I have that bothers me is pain in the joints, especially my knees. It also seems that I have some breathing issues that I didn't have until after I started tysabri, but my doctor doesn't think that is related. Also, you can be more susceptible to catching the cold and flu. I will get sick 4 times in the cold/flu season which I hate. I do think that tysabri has definitely worked better for me than another other medication (I also took avonex and copaxone). Hope that helps.

Old 10-22-2009, 03:52 AM   #4
(male)

xly HB User

thanks, I have recovered a big portion of my walking after steroids. I have now siwtched to Avonex, but I have in min Tysabri if i did not improve with steroids for the next attack. Thanks a lot for your input, it is very useful.

Old 03-03-2010, 06:17 AM   #5
(male)

Billsms HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyjorgie View Post
I have been on tysabri for about 18 months. I have been doing really well with it. Some of my lesions reduced in size and I have only have 1 new lesion since I have been on it which is good for me. But it seemed to work better for me at first. I was having visual problems and numbness from the neck down. Now I only have slight numbness in my fingers and have had no real relapses for quick a while. Now I am starting to have some visual problems again. Also, one side effect that I have that bothers me is pain in the joints, especially my knees. It also seems that I have some breathing issues that I didn't have until after I started tysabri, but my doctor doesn't think that is related. Also, you can be more susceptible to catching the cold and flu. I will get sick 4 times in the cold/flu season which I hate. I do think that tysabri has definitely worked better for me than another other medication (I also took avonex and copaxone). Hope that helps.

Amy...I amon my 5th infussion being off avonex for 3 years...doc justwanted to change meds...I have walking problems and tightness in the legs...being new to tysabri...does this drung help with any pain or tightness in areas?

Thank you

Bill

Old 03-04-2010, 11:19 AM   #6
(female)

amyjorgie HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billsms View Post
Amy...I amon my 5th infussion being off avonex for 3 years...doc justwanted to change meds...I have walking problems and tightness in the legs...being new to tysabri...does this drung help with any pain or tightness in areas?

Thank you

Bill
For me, I did notice improvements in tightness and pain in the first year I was on Tysabri. For example I had these squeezing bands around by body that made me feel really tight and it was difficult to move. I also had painful nerve firing that made my legs spasm. Both of those went away during the 1st year, but I think my body has now adjusted to the medication and I don't think it is working as well anymore. I am having a lot of pain again. I am thinking about getting off of it now because I have been on it over 2 years at this point. I felt really good on tysabri for the first year, but I guess that could have just been coincidence. I don't think it was however, becuase before tysabri, I was in a constant relapse. I think being on tysabri has been a good thing for me becuase I am in a much more stable place.

Closed Thread