It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2009, 06:19 PM   #1
(male)

Sfloridamale HB User
Copaxone Injections

Recently I have been having injection site reactions. The issue is approx. 5 minn. after the injection I get a raised area almost always white in color on my legs. It appears that this is were the medicine in puddling. Also recently the knot or swelling last longer then before. Any thoughts are suggestion would be great.

Old 09-21-2009, 02:55 PM   #2
(female)

Pens'nChalk HB User
Re: Copaxone Injections

Yes, the swelling is likely due to the solution beneath your skin, slowly absorbing into the tissue.

Calling Shared Solutions may yield different answers - one nurse might tell you that putting a warm compress on the site before injection will make the tissue beneath your skin more receptive to the solution ... others will suggest putting ice before injecting to numb the site. Personally, I think warm makes more sense - it's not the needle itself that hurts, it's the absorption.

After six months, I no longer used heat or ice - but I did learn a helpful hint on another board from another person on Copaxone - do not massage for at least 24 hours, but do press firmly for a solid minute (with a cotton ball) to help force the solution deeper into the layer of fat - it could minimize that "puddling" you mentioned, and lessen the lump and its duration.

I'm over two years on the injections now, and the burn and ache that follows is still present, and the lumps still appear but last less than a week and are not consistent ... hips are less likely to lump, thighs are more. Arms are 50/50, and the abdomen is unpredictable.

Wishing you well on this journey ... it's not a walk in the park.
~ Mother Teresa

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-23-2009, 09:30 PM   #3
(female)

RobinLeigh HB User

I also have some injection site reactions that are worse than they were before. I have only been on it for 2 months but recently the redness and the lumps started to last longer than before sometimes up to a weak, they are usually pretty warm if you touch them and usually itchy and my stomach also bruises now and then. Liker the sting i guess it is something i will just have to get used to discover new ways to make it better.

Old 09-24-2009, 05:26 PM   #4
(male)

sodapopper HB Usersodapopper HB User

I agree with the post about applying pressure to the injection for at least 30 seconds. On occasion I will get a lump or knot where I inject and if I apply firm pressure, it just seems to absorb away. I've learned this through sort of trial and error. On rare occasions I have gotten a welt type bump that has lasted for a couple of hours- when this has happened I have applied ice and it has gone away usual within the hour. My abdomen is the only area that I've gotten bruised- but if I keep it at the level of my "belly button" about 2 inches away from it- doesn't seem to be as big a problem. I've been on copaxone for 21 months now- the shots don't hurt like they used to. Maybe I've gotten used to them. Good luck.

Old 09-27-2009, 12:12 PM   #5
(female)

kellyc80 HB User

i also suffer from the same reactions to my copaxone injections and find that the only thing that helps is a cold compress and lightly massaging the area. however these sites stay sore and itchy for a fairly long time afterwards. i hope this helps a little bit. gd luck!

Closed Thread