It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2009, 03:57 AM   #1
(female)

mvngs HB User
Tightening of muscles?

I have had a number of symptoms for five months and my neurologist thinks many of them are consistent with MS. Nothing has shown up on the MRIs or in the EMG. He does't know what else to do at this point, but still said he is keeping MS at the top of his list of possibilities. One of the symptoms that he is puzzled by is a sense of tightening of my muscles that I experience along my neck, back of my arms, back and back of my legs. It feels like they are tightenting and someone is pulling and kneading them. It is almost painful and definitely very uncomfortable. It feels like something is very wrong with my body during that time. It can last for 15 minutes or longer. Sometimes it happens once or twice a day and sometimes days go by without this happening. When it does happen, it is exhausting. My friends have seen me slump to one side while this is happening.

Anyway.....has anyone ever experienced/heard of anything like this? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Old 10-22-2009, 07:07 AM   #2
Facilitator
(male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User
Re: Tightening of muscles?

Welcome. I get tightness in my legs. The best thing I have found is plenty of stretching. My Neuro told me to keep stretching the rest of my life in order to maintain use of my muscles and to help prevent loss. You might also want to make sure you are consuming enough calcium and maintaining sufficient hydration. Dehydration can cause cramping and knotting of the muscles.

When the tightness occurs around your mid-section or chest, that is often called a "MS Hug". While I get the occasional "hug", my legs are bothered the most.

I hope you can find a resolution!!
Eternally blessed and eternally optimistic!<><

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread