It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2009, 09:49 AM   #1
Inactive
(male)

Brian C HB User
T.M or M.S ?

Hello
6 1/2 months ago I was diagnosed with Transverse Myelitis, Basically within 24hrs I went from being a normal healthy person to a hospital bed,
The problems started in the lower half of my left arm, Shoulder pain and pins and needles, My wife took me to the E.R and they did x-rays and blood tests, By this time I had pins and needles and numbness from my feet to my chest, The E.R doctor said I should see my G.P and so I made an appointment, Well after 10 minutes and a consult with a neurologist he sent me to another hospital to be admitted, After the M.R.I and L.P he told me he thought it was T.M, They gave me 1000mg solumendrol steroids every 12 hours for 4 days, They released me from the hospital and I was in P.T the very next day ( Aqua Therapy ) I went from a wheel chair to a walker to a cane then a leg brace finally to being able to walk on my own and went back to work after only 7 weeks, Everything had been going good in my recovery I was about 60% back to normal until this week

Anyway I have a few questions, I started feeling some altered sensation in my right hand and arm this week and my Neuro gave me another round of Solumendrol steroids, Let me say that the night before this I had very little sleep and am sick with a bad chest cold, Well after the first steroid treatment I felt pretty good the sensations I were feeling were gone,

My question for anybody who has gone through more than 1 steroid treatment, My numbness in my legs and left arm have gotten way worse almost back to the levels they were at when I got out of the hospital and now my right leg has the burning sensation, The sensation was always there but now its tripled and lasts longer

So my question: Can taking another round of steroids worsen pre- existing symptoms and will my symptoms go back to the levels they were at when the steroid wears off

Thanks for any help. Brian

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-28-2009, 11:17 AM   #2
Facilitator
(male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User
Re: T.M or M.S ?

Welcome.

I have never done the steroids, but the question I would be asking first is why TM and not MS? I would want to weigh the evidence for TM against the evidence for MS.

You mentioned a chest cold and lack of sleep. Both of these factor into stress on your body which could cause symptoms to flare-up.
Eternally blessed and eternally optimistic!<><

Old 10-28-2009, 01:26 PM   #3
(female)

UK SUSIE HB User

Hi,

I too was diagnosed with Transverse Myelitis in June 09 although numbness started in my feet and spread up to my waist over the next five days in April. I was in hospital for 3 days of tests but I was never given steroids just pain killers. I was told my symptoms would get better slowly over a matter of time and thats exactly what happened. I was off work for three months. I now have strange sensations in my right foot and toes but everything else has very much returned to normal. I have body buzzing which I have noticed is more pronounced when I am stressed. I have had an MRI of my back and brain and a Lumbar Puncture to see if my condition could be MS related. Still not definate either way although my brain scan did show up to many white areas for my age, I have to wait till December for LP results. My neurologist ( I did not get to see a neurologists for 5 to 6 weeks after first symptoms appearred - UK )did however say if I had this again to get my GP to contact him quickly as a course of steroids would enable a quicker recovery.

Susie.x.

Old 10-29-2009, 05:49 AM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

Hi Sorry to hear what you are going thru. To answer your question, each time you do steroids by injection (IVSM) they lose more effectiveness. So by doing a 4 or 5 day round in the beginning- (YOU HAD TO! NOTHING ELSE WOULD HAVE HELPED) and repeating steroids less then 6 months later, there is a good chance they arent going to be nearly as effective as the first time you did them. The fact that you had preexisting conditions which had nothing to do with either TM or MS (a chest cold) yes, steroids can worsen them. Steroids totally kill your immune system, making you susceptible to anything and everything for a month...also., steroids stay in your system up to a month...so, although you may not have instant success, they might continue to work.
PLease feel better soon. You sound like you need a break. Saying a prayer for strength for you..
nikki

Closed Thread