It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2009, 05:45 AM   #1
(female)

bxq HB User
3-Day Medrol Infusion

Hi,

Has anyone ever had 3-day Medrol infusion treatment for muscle inflammation? If so, will you please share with me how you made out, did the drug cause side effects, and do you recommend it to others.

NK

Old 10-31-2009, 06:32 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
Re: 3-Day Medrol Infusion

if you are speaking of a 3 day Solu-Medrol infusion, thats very common. It can be 3 days or 5 days....SoluMedrol is a form of Prendisone...its used actually for nerve inflamation; although it will calm down the muscles, too.

Steroids, which is what solu-medrol are, shrink inflamation in the body....when you are having an attack or relapse, and everything starts to be inflammed, all kinds of symtoms can happen, including muscle spasms. Its also used to treat eye inflamation, the optic nerve, which when inflamed is called Optical Neuritis.

The side effects from the infusion are sometimes mood swings, usually appetite increase and sleep is often affected. You might find it hard to sleep for longer then an hour or two....you will probably get a lousy metallic taste in your mouth (sucking on peppermints helps) and you will probably be thirsty. Sometimes, this results in bathroom issues as well....(going allot more frequently). The steroid remains in your system up to a month post-infusion, but usually within 5 days of the infusion ending, you start to feel more like yoruself. Some people experience bloating, or puffiness in their face when doing the infusion, this too, willl go away in a few days.

Does it help? Depending on what you are trying to treat, usually it will. The more often you do this infusion, the less it will help in the future- however a 3 day infusion is pretty minimal- and a good place to start. Long term steroid use isnt recommended, as it can affect the bones and other bodily systems; however again, 3 days is not going to hurt you....just dont do it more then every 6 months to a year.

I hope this helps you with your questions, and please know that almost all MS patients will experience Solu-Medrol infusions at one time or another..its a very common treatment. Take care- and let us know how it goes..
Nikki

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-06-2009, 07:46 AM   #3
(male)

bobs0651 HB User

my wife did ok with a 5 day infusion routine,however be sure your doc prescribes at least 5 days of oral prednisone to wean you off the solumed as the after effects can be pretty horrific.

best of luck

Last edited by Administrator; 06-27-2012 at 10:26 PM.

Old 11-06-2009, 11:08 AM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

3 days wont create the same havoc that a 5 day infusion usually does...and make sure youre wife can tolerate oral prendisone...its allot different then IV Solumedrol. I cant do the step down with the oral....but I also dont get the significant emotional changes that others have experienced..
Good luck!

Old 11-16-2009, 06:55 PM   #5
(female)

Elansmom HB User

I've done a 3-day Medrol infusion. I lost most of the use of my right leg and was hospitalized. I started the infusion and was discharged the following day. By the time I got home I felt GREAT!! I finished the infusion with an RN at my home for a couple of hours for a couple of days. I felt like myself. I felt better than myself. I was off work for a few weeks and by the time I went back to work, my house sparkled. I'd felt energetic enough to do things I hadn't done in a long time! As for the side effects, I had an appetite the size of Texas and gained a little weight. My infusion was topped off with a tapering dose of Prednisone. As the dose weaned my skin started to hurt. I couldn't stand for anything to touch me. I should add that it was mostly my back that was super sensitive to touch. I always have this effect when I wean from the Prednisone so I'm not sure if the Medrol made it worse but I think it did. My infusion was about 4 years ago and I was great until I went through child-birth and post-partum depression, etc. You know, the life-changing things. If I could, I'd have my Dr. order another infusion for me now as child-birth and other circumstances have cause a yucky decline in the way I feel physically. As a matter of fact, I'll call him tomorrow!

Last edited by Administrator; 06-27-2012 at 12:34 AM.

Old 11-18-2009, 08:53 AM   #6
(male)

bobs0651 HB User

IV solumedrol is a horrible poison,its nothing more than chemotherapy IMO,not even worth the terrible side effects you'll go thru.
i have MS since '94,refused the IVSM my ex nero wanted me on while i was hospitalized in '01 when i had my last flare.
my wife was dx'd in '99 and went on copaxone until a few yrs back. not sure whether her discontinuing it led directly to her crash this past winter.her 5 day run with IVSM produced nothing,nothing at all. why bother? your only making the drug companies and, er "doctors" richer. do yourself a favor and go natural,you'll be better off.

Old 11-18-2009, 06:40 PM   #7
(female)

Fibrogirl37 HB User

Wow. Sorry to hear about you and your wife both having ms. I agree with your view on Solumedrol. I recently made a post about it, and asked about whether or not getting 1 gram of Solumedrol once every other month was too much. I got a couple of very informative replies on it. I wish I could stop the infusions, but when I asked my neuro if it was absolutely necessary that I do this she said "no, but do you want to wait for something bad to happen". So, that kind of convinced me to keep on it. She then said I would only be getting it once every three months. I really don't like the stuff though and Copaxone seemed to be working well for me, at least until I had a flare up about a year or so ago. Anyway, sorry for my rambling, but I hope the natural route continues to go well for you.

Last edited by Administrator; 06-27-2012 at 12:34 AM.

Old 11-19-2009, 08:01 AM   #8
(male)

bobs0651 HB User

ur not rambling and thank you for ur honest,experience based opinions. its the only way to know how others feel about it.(the med in question )
i will NEVER feel comfortable condoning the reason or reasons a certain doctor will do what he/she does while treating a patient, however i will speak out AGAINST the reckless prescribing of dangerous medicines to innocents.(like my wife) its crime. it shows how broken this whole industry has become.

blessings,

Old 11-19-2009, 03:37 PM   #9
Facilitator
(female)

Bob, although I admire and respect your decision to speak out- you should also know that IVSM is a steroid, not a chemo drug. Its only purpose is to shrink inflammation and for many MS patients is actually a miracle. When I lost my vision completely, it completely restored it, within 24 hours. But, I started it within 12 hours of waking up blind in one eye.
When I couldnt move either of my legs, my doctor orderd it immediatley and I started it within 3 hours. I resumed all of my mobility in 48 hours, 2 infusions.

I have never had a bad experience, or a side effect.
IVSM works for most patients, but the most important thing is to start it within 48 hours of the onest of a symtom, otherwise it probably wont work. THe second most important thing is to use it infrequently, as it loses its ability to work if used too often...

not everyone has a bad exerience and I just wanted to note that.
Nikki

Old 11-24-2009, 07:54 AM   #10
(male)

bobs0651 HB User

your one of the lucky ones,congrats.......... however, i stand by my beliefs about IVSM, its a poison...........

Old 11-24-2009, 01:20 PM   #11
(male)

sodapopper HB Usersodapopper HB Usersodapopper HB User

I too had success with a 3 day course of IV solumedrol followed by the tapering off with prednisone. I had numbness and tingling from the waist down as well as a right sided foot drop. I began experiencing improvement towards the end of the first infusion, and continued to improve from there. After each infusion noticing a difference. By the end of the week I was walking normal again. I just had to exercise and rebuild the muscle strength. As with any medication-sometimes they work better than others. Sometimes they don't work much at all. When and if I need Solumedrol again, I will take it under the advice of my Neurologist. Will it work as well next time? I don't know. But for me it would be worth it to give it a shot.

Old 11-29-2009, 07:40 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(male)

TopGeek HB UserTopGeek HB UserTopGeek HB UserTopGeek HB User

Reading this thread has been very interesting for me because I was hospitalised last w/e for 3 x 1g SoluMedrol.
Precisely two years ago, I had optic neuritis (papilloedema) in the left eye and was prescribed 3 x 1g SoluMedrol as an outpatient. I had no evident side-effects but, when I went back to the hospital on the second day, I suffered chest pains while climbing the stairs. They checked my BP and found it was was 190/100. A cardiologist was called and he gave me something to reduce the BP and suggested I should transfer to Medrol tablets. I managed that for three days but they upset my stomach so much that I stopped them too. The optic neuritis went away. An MRI scan was negative.
This time, it was in my right eye and my ophthalmologist sent me to emergency where I spent a whole day going through tests, ending with a lumbar puncture. It seems the results were all negative but I was told they wanted to keep me in for the SoluMedrol treatment and monitoring in case I had a similar reaction to last time.
In the end, my BP dropped steadily but my visual disturbances got worse during the treatment. The hospital ophthalmologist says he is convinced that I have MS, due to the bilateral occurrence of ON two years apart. I therefore now have to go for another MRI scan.
Evidently, I am praying that it is not MS as I have just turned 70 and am otherwise in good shape. I have had a hand tremor for more than 20 years but my mother also had that. The ON is still there but seems to be easing.

Last edited by TopGeek; 11-29-2009 at 08:29 AM. Reason: detail

Old 11-29-2009, 11:45 AM   #13
Facilitator
(female)

Quite a story Topgeek! In the USA, the pill form of Medrol is NOT used for Optical Neuritis, although it used to be....we only use the IVSM and its usually for 3-5 days. Sometimes, a taper down of the oral form is used for patients who are susceptible to reactions.

the fact that they kept you to monitor BP isnt unusual, as that is one of the side effects listed for IVSM...but the fact that your visual disturbances got worse surprises me. Did they give you a reason for that? Ive never heard of anyone getting worse.....ON always goes away on its own, with- or without drugs, however it can be excruitatingly painful (IVe had it 3 times) and the drugs usually help reduce the inflamation so it clears up quicker. I wouldnt even try to wait it out when I have it, its too painful and I cant function.

Im also not clear on why the bilateral occurance, 2 years apart means anything to your doctors. Ive always had it in the same eye- and yes, I have MS. I have over 50 lesions on my brain and none in my spine; however it appears that I also have them on the optical nerve, as this is the same area that gets inflammed every so often. The good news is since being on Rebif for the past 4 years, Ive not had a single new excaberation or lesion. Its working for me.

Keep us posted on how your doing and what they wind up saying...and I hope you continue to feel good otherwise.
Nikki

Old 11-29-2009, 01:22 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(male)

TopGeek HB UserTopGeek HB UserTopGeek HB UserTopGeek HB User

Thanks for your comments Nikki. The first time round, as I had already had the one dose, the cardiologist thought it best to use Medrol tablets in a tapering schedule. Otherwise, they do acknowledge here that Medrol tablets are not a valid treatment for ON.
My ophthalmologist did say that it is not unusual for the visual effects to get worse and that they could take days or even weeks to improve. I have had no pain from this and no bad effects from the IVSM. He also said the bilateral papilloedema episodes 2 years apart are simply considered as bilateral ON and are therefore an indicator of MS. I must admit that my reading this week has served to confuse more than to clarify the diagnosis.
I am now anxious to get on with the remaining tests as I am really tired of these visual disturbances, particularly as I have a central scotoma in the left eye and am still undergoing intravitreal Avastin injections for that.

Old 11-29-2009, 03:48 PM   #15
Facilitator
(female)

TopGeek, I wish you only the best. Sounds like you have some good docs keeping an eye on things...
MS isnt the end of the world if thats what you have to deal with. Its a life changer, no doubt...you learn to do what you can and actually say NO when you cant! Also, if you DO have MS, then being on a MS drug, might stop your excaberations, both with ON and any other things that might be going on.
I hope you get answers soon....let us know if we can help.
Nikki

Closed Thread