It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2009, 06:20 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

shellymay HB User
Quick question please???

I had previously posted a thread about my pain. I have one quick question, does anyone that has been diagnosed with MS have pain that goes down there legs almost like the sciatic (not sure if I spelled that right) nerve. I have had x-rays and MRI years ago but that was before I started having this pain and nothing showed up not even a slipped disc or anything. I'm just curious as to how the pain feels that some of you are experiencing that have MS. Thanks so much for your time and your replies!

Michelle

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-03-2009, 07:04 AM   #2
Facilitator
(male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User
Re: Quick question please???

Yes, I have a pain that passes from my lower back and travels down my left leg. It took about 6 months for my pain to go away. I have experienced the pain twice. The second time it left my left leg numb from just above my knee to my toes and my thigh was burning like a hot poker.

Though unorthodox, since the first occasion I found that a heating pad applied in the area of the most pain and then rotated through all of the painful areas was my only relief. My neuro suggested cold compresses or ice packs, but they did nothing for me. My neuro had 2-3 others like me who tried the heat and it worked for them too. Some who have tried this felt worse. In each person the body reacts uniquely; therefore, you need to learn what works for you! Although it brought me pain relief, the pain always takes me about 6 months to "heal", that is, for the pain to go away.

The last attack left my leftleg weakened and a year later I still drag it behind me. I use my passive exercycle to rehab and it has helped me- otherwise I would never be able to pedal.
Eternally blessed and eternally optimistic!<><

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-03-2009, 10:37 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

shellymay HB User

MSJayhawk,

Thank you so much for your reply. It really has scared me to feel so much pain and my leg go numb from the pain being so bad. My leg felt weak last night and real sore to move. I will try the cold and hot compresses and see if that helps! I can't thank you enough for talking with me, it really does help a lot!! Hope you are doing well!! Thanks again!

Michelle

Old 11-03-2009, 12:59 PM   #4
Facilitator
(male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User

No worries. I would try cold first. If no luck, then try the heat. I used low heat and then progressed to HOT. After the pain diminished, I found that low heat was best. Apparently the heat turns off my pain sensors(?). I wish you the best and I will keep you in my prayers.
Eternally blessed and eternally optimistic!<><

Old 11-04-2009, 06:27 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

shellymay HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSJayhawk View Post
No worries. I would try cold first. If no luck, then try the heat. I used low heat and then progressed to HOT. After the pain diminished, I found that low heat was best. Apparently the heat turns off my pain sensors(?). I wish you the best and I will keep you in my prayers.
Thank you I will you as well!!

Michelle

Old 11-04-2009, 07:28 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

lilc HB User

Yes, another thing that happens to me periodically. The first time was about 10 years before my dx. It lasted over a year and got so bad that the pain would wake me up at night. These days it comes and goes, but haven't had any extended episodes.

Old 11-04-2009, 10:57 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

shellymay HB User

lilc,

That's exactly what happens to me. The pain wakes me up! I have never been in so much pain that I was woken up by it. I hope this doesn't last long. Do you have the problem with cramping real bad too? I seem to cramp everytime I try to stretch in my back and my legs real bad. Just curious you start to wonder if some things are MS related or just something else. Maybe need to eat more potassium.

Michelle

Old 11-05-2009, 10:23 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

lilc HB User

Ah, yes, cramping. I had TERRIBLE trouble with my toes cramping, I could actually SEE one of my toes pulling hard to one side. Then one day the toe just stayed there, and the cramping has virtually stopped. Sounds strange, I know...One thing I learned for quickly dispensing with cramping is tonic water. Take one big swig (it tastes nasty). One swig would always stop the cramping, right away. The quinine does it, I'm told.

And yes, it can make you crazy trying to figure out what is an annoying MS sx and what should be of real concern. This is a good place to find balance, so stay in touch!

Old 11-05-2009, 10:47 AM   #9
Veteran
(female)

shellymay HB User

lilc,

Thank you so much! It really helps me to talk to you guys and discuss symptoms!! You all are the best!

Michelle

Closed Thread