It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2009, 03:00 PM   #1
(female)

Fibrogirl37 HB User
is a dose of Solumedrol once every other month too much?

Hi everyone. I was diagnosed with MS in 2000. I have been doing okay except for a few flare ups here or there. My most recent flare up was about a year and a half ago which was when my neuro told me to do an IV of Solumedrol once a month. It has recently been changed to once every other month. My last MRI showed no active lesions, so I'm wondering why my dr. would keep me on the Solumedrol, even if it's just once every other month. I was told that the dose I have been taking is 1 gram. My rheumy said that she thinks that is a lot. I also have Hypothyroidism, Sjogren's, Raynaud's, and Fibromyalgia. Just wondering if anyone has an idea of why I would still be taking the Solumedrol, and if it is too much. I guess I should also mention that have been on Copaxone for a while now and it seems to be helping. Thanks for you input.

fibrogirl37

Old 11-03-2009, 03:43 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
Re: is a dose of Solumedrol once every other month too much?

Fibrogirl- youre facing a two sided argument. No amount of IV Steroid is ever good for you. Steroids affect your bone density. I dont know how old you are, but this is something you might want to talk to your primary, ob-gyn or even Neuro about....they can do a bone density test now- get a baseline, and have something to compare it to in the future...its like an Xray. Totally painless and takes ten minutes...

The other side of it is Steroids help inflammation. But there is another argument. The more often you do them, the less effective they are. So, tapering to every other month is a good start. Most people, when they have flare-ups do 1 gram for either 3 days or more popularly- 5 days. This is allot of Steroid to absorb, and the side effects are not always great; however when in a major flare-up, it DOES help and it IS effective. Can you discuss with your doctor her reasons for insisting you do this at all? Maybe tell her youll do it IF and WHEN you feel something major happening?

In the end, your body- your choice. I dont think that doing 1 gram every other month is going to hurt you short term...but for how long do they plan on you doing this? Eventually , it will stop being effective and will start to affect your liver functions and bones....

how long have you been on Copaxone? It takes about 6 months for the drug you reach maximum levels in your blood stream. If its working for you- HOORAY and keep with it! It might be what you need to convince your dr to stop the steroids...

keep us posted. im curious to hear how this turns out...and stay healthy, ok??
Best,
Nikki

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-03-2009, 04:36 PM   #3
(female)

Fibrogirl37 HB User

Thanks for your quick reply MSNik. I've been on copaxone for about three years now. I also had a bone density done about a year ago and they said I was fine, except I was negative one in my back. Whatever that means.

I think I will call the nurse at my neuro's office tomorrow to ask her about this. Thanks again for your reply.

Old 11-03-2009, 05:43 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

Youre more then welcome. ITs good that you had that test done...now, if they do it again, youll have a comparison to look at.
I honestly dont think that once every other month will hurt you, but the bigger question is for how long they want you to do this for...talk to your doctor/nurse about it.
Im glad to hear Copaxone is working for you!! Thats a major plus!
Stay well.
Nikki

Old 11-03-2009, 05:49 PM   #5
Facilitator
(male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User

Most steroid treatments have a set use period. If the use goes beyond this period, irreparable damage can occur. Check the warning labels and ask all the questions if you go this route. Even within the use period, make sure someone is doing the right thing and being accountable for your liver and bones....
Eternally blessed and eternally optimistic!<><

Old 11-04-2009, 07:36 AM   #6
(female)

Fibrogirl37 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSJayhawk View Post
Most steroid treatments have a set use period. If the use goes beyond this period, irreparable damage can occur. Check the warning labels and ask all the questions if you go this route. Even within the use period, make sure someone is doing the right thing and being accountable for your liver and bones....
That's good advice. Thanks MSJayhawk.

Closed Thread