It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2009, 02:42 PM   #1
Facilitator
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
feet problems??

Does anyone with MS have foot problems? Im talking about circulation or toe nail issues? Ive always experienced the numbness in my feet and toes; however this particular past week its been so painful that Ive almost cried! I honestly thought it was due to the cold weather which started in the past few weeks, but driving home the other night, my feet went so numb, I was afraid to continue driving....Ive also started noticing that my toenails dont look like they always have...(I hadnt noticed since I get pedicures regularly!)

So, today, I had my first podiatrist visit. He says I DO NOT have Reynauds, which is what I thought I was experiencing, but more of a vascular problem...which might be affecting the health of my toenails as well. There wasnt anything he recommended other then keeping my feet warm and dry- but did refer me to a vascular doctor. Anyone have any similar experinces?

Curious if this is "just a MS thing" or if its completely unrelated...
Nikki

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-06-2009, 04:12 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

sunshine149 HB User
Re: feet problems??

I don't know if it's related, it might be medication related, perhaps. Is there any chance you might have Type II diabetes? This can be common with diabetics.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-06-2009, 04:56 PM   #3
Facilitator
(male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User

My brother's mother-in-law thought her foot problem was diabetes, but it was a vascular problem. They took her to Houston, TX to a vascular surgeon. He attempted to transplant some grafts to correct the problem, but due to her age, he could not make it stick. He said it needed to have been corrected much earlier. Unfortunately, her feet had to be amputated, but she said that her lifetime of pain was finally gone. She was 75 at the time and is now 80. You might wish to consult a vascular surgeon.

I do not think it is MS. My MS problems are two numb feet- not vascular.
Eternally blessed and eternally optimistic!<><

Old 11-06-2009, 07:00 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

im absolutely positive that I dont have diabetes. ive had my sugar tested many times in the past year. Because Im on Rebif, and that is the only drug I take regualrly, I get complete CBC along with Cholesterol (fasting) sugars and liver enzymes...Im defintatly healthy. And, my risk is minimal, no history in my family, and I weigh 110 lbs on a 5'4'' frame and I work out 3-4 times a week with weight strengthening and balance exercises....

As far as the vascular goes- he did give me a referral to see someone, but also told me he really thinks this is just an MS thing- and doesnt think anything is wrong. The podiatrist actually did some pretty extensive testing. I wasnt aware they could do as much as he did....checking circulation, checking for Reynauds with some sort of spray which, if it had been Reynauds should have turned my skin white, and then red...there was no reaction at all...he says my pulse is good in my feet, but my small arteries, near my toes were where the problem was..thus, the referral....Guesss Ill be following up on that in the next week.

Thanks for your input, both of you. I appreciate it.
Nikki

Old 11-07-2009, 01:25 AM   #5
(female)

Lily68 HB User

I think if it was diabetes you would have noticed other stuff before this but I'm no medic.
Not nice that it has been so painful. Is it similar to other pains you have had with MS? MS is so quirky I wouldn't surprised if it's MS related but I'm novice....
Maybe some resting might help... Take care

Old 11-07-2009, 07:03 AM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

I guess I should have put in my original post THIS IS 100% NOT diabetes related.

And, it doesnt happen any particular time other then during the weather changes...

And, when it happens, it lasts for ten minutes or so...

but when it happens, my toes turn white. Completely white where the numbness is.

so, i figured it was Reynauds disease- however the podiatrist doesnt agree.

Now,he says see a vascular surgeon BUT he thinks its "just a MS thing". My Neurologist also thinks its MS related...

Its not caused by any triggers, but appears to be affected by the cold weather.

SO I just wondered if anyone else who has MS experiences anything like it.

Thanks everyone for your input...its appreciated. But we can take Diabetes off the table.
Nikki

Old 11-07-2009, 08:28 AM   #7
Facilitator
(male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User

As to cold weather- I get numb feet and hands in cold weather. I notice mine mostly below 52 degrees Fahrenheit.

Old 11-07-2009, 09:40 AM   #8
Facilitator
(female)

Jayhwk, thank you. Do you ever notice that when you actually LOOK at your feet during this time, that their are patches of skin where they look white? Completely white!

Thats what freaked me out...and also what got me thinking Reynauds syndrome...reading about Reynauds, its almost exactly what Im experiencing - however that test the podiatrist did, said no......
of course we all know that tests arent always accurate and can change from time to time when administered!

I will see the other guy, but its not exactly life or death at this point, however the post you wrote about someone having to lose their feet due to advanced problems....well, thats enough to get me to investigate this further (and sooner). Thanks for your input.

Nikki

Old 11-07-2009, 10:28 AM   #9
(female)

Positivethinkin HB User

Have you taken any new medications since the foot issue started? I went on Levoquin earlier this year because I had pnuemonia and after taking Levoquin I had the worst pain in my feet and hands. Recently I have been noticing my hands have been really pale so I had bloodwork and it turns out I am anemic. Just wanted to share with you reasons that seem to have triggered paleness and pain in me. I hope you are feeling better really soon. Take Care.
PositiveThinkin

Old 11-07-2009, 11:39 AM   #10
Facilitator
(female)

Thanks PosiveThinking. The podiatrist asked me the same thing. But, no- I take nothing but my Rebif shots and some supplements. The supplements I mentioned, B, Fish oils and other Omegas, he actually said he would recommend. I have my levels tested regularly (along with sugar, cholesterol, etc) and everything is fine. I actually avoid taking any meds.....the only thing Ill take, when I have to- is antibiotics, and those always make me feel better for a few weeks!
But youre thinking the right direction. At least, that was a question he immediately asked me as well. Rebif doesnt seem to be the culprit- there is no evidence that it can cause this, nor does it happen ALL THE TIME and I do take Rebif regularly...

So, maybe it is just a MS thing....or maybe I have a vascular problem. Although, from what Ive learned today, having called several physician friends, along with a Vascular guy- if it was vascular, it should be happening in all my extremeties, including my fingers...and it isnt. Chances are good this is just a "MS' thing.

Hugs,
Nikki

Old 11-07-2009, 12:47 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

sunshine149 HB User

I don't know what the testing is for Reynaud's but I think that too might be worth a second opinion from someone. Good luck and stay warm! Is there somewhere in the world where we could live that is never humid and is 65 degrees and sunny year-round?!

Old 11-07-2009, 03:18 PM   #12
Facilitator
(male)

Sorry, I have never noticed white patches. I do indeed look at my feet to make them move . I will have to look for patches as you described. Up to now the hands and feet have simply turned painfully cold. The pain is quite intense, but thankfully short-lived as they turn numb in about 20-30 minutes later. I double layer socks and wear some insulated gloves.

Last edited by MSJayhawk; 11-07-2009 at 03:20 PM. Reason: add

Old 11-07-2009, 04:25 PM   #13
Facilitator
(female)

Thanks guys...and actually Im thinking 70 degrees, no humidity would be perfect. Areas of Hawaii are like that- too bad I cant relocate there! I swear in the summer I say my next vacation is going to be Alaska...and just last week, booked a mid March vacation for St Lucia. However, I am assured that St Lucia has no humidity and will be between 78-82 degrees in March. Sounds about right, after the frigid winter we are expecting here....

Thanks for all your input. And yeah, Jayhawk, let me know if you notice any white patches...interestingly enough exactly where it hurts it goes white, and the rest of my skin tone remains "normal" looking...and it only lasts about 10 minutes. Happened today. I was helping my husband clean out the garage- wearing thin socks, but HEAVY boots. The temps outside were about 40 degrees and I was bundled up...all the sudden, intense pain in my right foot in the big toe area and I went inside to investigate and sure enough, white toe and into my foot area. However, I massaged it and put on heavier socks before I went back out and they remained okay once the initial thing passed...
this is very disconcerting- as I never know whats going to bring it on or when. My husband teases me - but its getting to the point where its starting to freak me out.

Im just curious if others experience this. Thanks to all of you.
Nikki

Old 11-08-2009, 05:14 PM   #14
(female)

Pens'nChalk HB User

Hi Nikki,
The first official symptom (the one that had my primary care doctor refer me to a neurologist) was numb feet - I referred to it as being asleep - she first sent me to a vascular surgeon ... he said circulation was fine ... suggested I see a neurologist ... by the time I saw him (four months later) my feet were waking up ... but for four months, they burned, were freezing cold, numb, itchy, felt like they were at times wrapped in tight saran wrap that crinkled when I bent my arch ... weird descriptions, I know, but all of those things happened daily and nightly, steadily, from January through April.

And like you, I thought at first it was the very cold winter ... and wondered about frostbite ... when I first talked to my pcp, she recommended wool socks, day and night, for cold weather.

He diagnosed it then as polyneuropathy ... said it might come back, might not, and that we should wait and see ... That symptom began the diagnostic process that eventually finished three years later, with very different symptoms, MRIs, lesions, etc. ... I have worn wool socks each year ever since (October through April) ... and I have never had that symptom return. One and done, like so many odd symptoms I've had ...

So, Nikki, consider wool socks - real wool - Danish wool is very soft, British wool is washable, warm and sturdy ... they don't itch the way woolens did in the 1950s ... wash them in cool water, and line dry ...

I could be the poster child for wool socks! I knit myself a pair once, with soft danish wool, on tiny little needles ... $30. for the wool, and four months of my time ... much easier to buy them.

Wishing you warm and well
~ Mother Teresa

Old 11-08-2009, 06:33 PM   #15
Facilitator
(female)

Thank you Pens!!! See, even thru the healthboards - you are truly a teacher. Ive often wondered about my socks. I was sticking to 100% cotton for the longest time, thinking of it "breathing" and all that good stuff.....but I will try your suggestion and see if it makes a difference! As a working professional, I often wear pantyhose and knee highs in the winter...this year, im going to do my very best NOT to- and to stick to socks, and boots! Thank goodness Boots are IN this year!

Your story is the closest to home Ive heard yet...so I appreciate you sharing it with me. My issue doesnt linger, and often only happens once or twice a week, but Ill try anything at this point! Wool socks it is. Ill start researching it now!

thanks so much for your input!! Hope you are feeling better these days??
Nikki

Closed Thread