It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2009, 12:16 PM   #1
(male)

moneyfool HB User
What does ON eye pain feel like?

I understand that you may or may not have eye pain in ON but if eye pain is present how bad is the pain? Can the pain be at the same spot in eye? Is the pain same intensity everday or does it start to increase eventually?

Can you have no vision problems and yet have eye pain for 6 or more weeks, same pain everything status quo? Thxs

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-12-2009, 03:50 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
Re: What does ON eye pain feel like?

I dont know if everyone is different or not, but Ive had ON three times and each time for me- its been excruitating pain behind the eye- but not like a headache...
It starts out just alittle bit of pain, but within 24 hours is really bad...Ive had to see a Neuro-Opthamologist each time. I havent had it in 3 years, but still see my neuro-opth every 6 months to make sure its not returning, and that prior damage is healing..
No one I know who has had it, would mistake it for something you could "live with" or "deal with" without seeing an eye doctor...but maybe its possible that youve lived with this pain for awhile and your problem isnt as severe? Just a guess..
The ON is actually inflammation of the optic nerve, part of the Central Nervous System and sometimes a side effect of MS, but not always. My brother has had ON twice, and does not have any MS symtoms, nor does he have lesions/etc....so its not always associated with MS.

ON is treated with IV steroids, not a steroid pack.....and usually with eye drops that accompany it, after the Infusions are complete.

hope this helps you
Nikki

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-12-2009, 03:56 PM   #3
(male)

moneyfool HB User

Thanks nikki. The pain I have has been dull for last 5 weeks. Optho has done full eye exams, dilated eyes, done VFT and all is normal. He says could be allergies.

I take BP medicine but not sure that can cause it since no web site mention eye pain as side effect

Old 11-12-2009, 03:58 PM   #4
(male)

moneyfool HB User

Also the dull ache comes and goes is not constant. Seems to increase towards evenings. But having no answer to eye pain is what is frustrating

Old 11-12-2009, 04:35 PM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

ill bet it is frustrating. You are seeing an Opthamologist, not an Optomotrist, right?? A medical doctor?

Usually, they have the equiptment that can dialate your eyes, check the pressure, and be sure that they optic nerve isnt swollen...usually they CAN NOT treat ON, and will refer you to an optha-Neurologist.....

Just make sure your doctor isnt an optomotrist...a eye glasses doctor. Make sure he is a MD.

Take care..
Nikki

Old 11-12-2009, 06:36 PM   #6
(male)

moneyfool HB User

yes he is an Opthamologist at wills eye in phila. He was the one who mentioned allergies could be the cause. But having eye pain for that long just makes me nervous. Thanks a lot.

Old 11-12-2009, 06:38 PM   #7
Facilitator
(female)

Interesting that you are near Wills. Im from Philadelphia, but am currently living in NJ. I see a Neuro-Opthamologist in Edison at JFK Medical Center, but my opthamologist is in Bucks County!

I wish you well....let me know if I can help with anything else. There are terrific MS docs at U of P in Philly....
Nikki

Old 11-13-2009, 08:43 AM   #8
(male)

mrknuckle HB User

Hi moneyfool--------------

I have found that when I get those base of the skull headaches that I will get a momentary pain in an eye--usually the left--- the pain is severe and like Nikki mentioned would be intolerable if it lasted long (praise God it doesn't). I mentioned it to the Doc thinking it might be the onset of o.n.---but he seems convinced it is migraines (because it is coupled with the headache) If o.n. is like this but constant I don't know how folk keep from going insane cause it makes a toothache seem like a soothing massage.

much love to you--------------knuckle

I don't know much,but I am learnin

Closed Thread