It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2009, 11:28 PM   #1
(female)

evey24 HB User
Confused about MS!!!!

Hello, I have just been in the hospital for 4 days because of blurred vision in my right eye! The doctor automatically put me on solu medrol in order for my vision to get better which it has fuly come back. They have given me an MRI and those results came back with lesions in the brain but the lumbar puncture results are not back yet!!Should I just assume its MS because of these symptoms? The neurologist arent really saying much just yet but I am just confused and have been trying to do my research!!!This is really difficult to cope with because its all new to me!!!Can someone please share some information with me about MS????I would also like to go back to school but I know stress causes relapses so can someone please help. Is this a smart idea???

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-14-2009, 08:28 AM   #2
Facilitator
(male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User
Re: Confused about MS!!!!

A warm Welcome to you. As for school (I will write more later if someone else does not), the level of stress you might encounter depends on your area of studies or your general anxiety levels. While I was in college, I needed to change my major due to the apparent stress levels of the classes I was taking. Your life can continue with a good career. Stay positive!!
Eternally blessed and eternally optimistic!<><

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-14-2009, 01:06 PM   #3
(female)

evey24 HB User

Thank you so much for your response. Well my area of study would be nursing and I know the stress level is high in this field. I will definitely stay positive it is just difficult to to find out information on MS because everyone's level of symtoms are different!!!

Old 11-14-2009, 05:52 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

Evey - I just wanted to put in my two cents. When I was dx, I was in doing my Bachelors degree in Health Care Administration. I had a high level job, which I had worked my way up to manager....and then, MS was dx.

I had a few months where I wanted to quit school and basically quit my life; but my doctors told me NOT to quit school as it would give me something positive to work towards and take my mind off of what I was dealing with, the dx and learning to deal with injections...

I went on to graduate Summa *** Laude, and decided to do my Graduate Degree, in Marketing...I also graduated with a 4.0 GPA and was promoted to Director of my dept....now, Im in healthcare and I deal with physicians and nurses every day of my life. My first mistake was disclosing my illlness- once I did that, everyone looked at me differently, everything went haywire in my world. My second mistake was taking on a position which included allot of traveling. Both internationally and nationally, i was flying in and out of NYC and Phil almost every week. SO, I left the job.

I reduced my stress level and reduced my work load (and paycheck) by half. I was MISERABLE! My entire life became one big horrible mess overnight.

SO, fast forward 2 years. Im now in Grad school again, shooting for my doctorate- I am back in sales and marketing with healthcare and working 50 hours a week. I am the sole supporter of a family of 5, as my husband has been laid off more then he worked this past year- and Im happy. My MS is good days and bad days.....but its stable. No New lesions, stil banging Rebif..and still keeping up with my life.

The way I see it, is, you (I) wont be able to go at 100 mph forever...but the type of personality I have, wont allow me to give up now- when I stil have many good years left in me. You can use MS as an excuse NOT to follow and fulfill your dreams, or you can persue nursing, and make the world a better place! Also, having a chronic illness makes you a better caretaker and more understanding of the world...you dont have to share it with anyone if you choose not to (I never will again) but inside your heart, youll have more empathy, more understanding and a better outlook for those who are "sick".

Take each day as it comes...but dont stop making yourself happy. MS doesnt have to control you...
Hugs and be well.
Nikki

Old 11-14-2009, 08:42 PM   #5
Facilitator
(male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by evey24 View Post
Thank you so much for your response. Well my area of study would be nursing and I know the stress level is high in this field. I will definitely stay positive it is just difficult to to find out information on MS because everyone's level of symtoms are different!!!
My mother was and my sister is a nurse. My sister chose to get her BSN and specialized in Psych Nursing. There are many types of nursing specialties of which you can follow. If there is a particular path that you choose, if you truly like it, you can do well.

Now, as a general floor nurse, you may find the physical demands harming you. But there are other specialties which will not. My mom was a general floor RN and was in charge of many nurses. Every day of her career she was stressed, but she loved it.

Talk with your nursing school professors; they are a source of wisdom and experience. My sister plans to "retire" from active nursing and teach nursing. She said that she can handle the daily stress for about 10 more years, then she will be ready for a career change.

Because you have MS, maybe you want to go into nursing with a MS clinic/MS doctor??

You need to sit down and look at some paths set before you. I enjoyed 20 good years before my MS forced disability upon me. With any luck, you could go 40 years! MS is a wishy-washy, "Charlie Brown" disease. It cannot make a choice of how to affect us. How it affects you is different than the way it affects me, but you need not think about end of career as long as you can keep on keeping on!!

Stay strong, stay positive. I will keep you in my prayers.

Old 11-15-2009, 08:36 PM   #6
(female)

evey24 HB User

Thank you everyone for the motivating advice. I truly will keep this information in mind as I continue my application process. I feel like all this advice allows me to keep staying positive and pushing forward in continuing my career. I will keep everyone posted on how everything continues in my life because this website is like a little family that understands one another in every way. I am so happy to have found this website and I will definitely keep in touch!!!!

Old 11-16-2009, 09:18 AM   #7
(female)

Delilah008 HB User

I'd like to reply to this as I've been a nurse for 4 years and was diagnosed with MS 2 years ago. I was working in psych when I had the relapse that led to my diagnosis. There are positions in nursing that aren't physically demanding but those tend to be few and far between. Most nurses choose to work in hospitals for the higher pay, but the hours tend to be long 10-12 hour shifts and little time off your feet.

I switched to the OR because I thought that I would be able to get away from the strenously physical nature of floor nursing. This past year has been the worst for me and I'm not on IV solumedrol once a month because Copaxone by itself wasn't cutting it.

I'm persuing a degree in accounting. I don't want to discourage you from nursing if that's what you want to do, but please be aware that it can be a very physically and mentally demanding job. Putting those two together can sometimes be very detrimental for our health.

Oh, I'm also found that working in healthcare is the worst for "sick" people. Every day you call out is scrutinized whether you have a valid reason or not. Sometimes it seems like management is willing to take care of the patients but not the staff.

Old 11-16-2009, 01:35 PM   #8
Facilitator
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

Some of the nurses I know work in Pharmaceuticals- working regular 40 hour a week jobs for pharmacuetical companies, answering questions and doing clincial data on the phone.....these women (and men) get benefits, vacation times and sick days just like any other office employee; without having to run around and put hands on patients....

Other nurses I know work with patients for agencies, per diem. Some work only 3 days a week and make more money then lots of people I know working 40 hours per week!

In my company, the nurses work 40 hours, with FOUR ten hour days....having 3 days off a week gives them lots of recovery time because they are working with Hospice patients, and thus, often have both lengthy medical and emotional visits.

If this is what you really want, there is a way to make it work for you. Remember, that I have had MS now for 4+ years, and still work 50 hours a week while going to school and taking care of a family....yes, it takes allot out of a person, but each of us will handle it differently and you wont know until you try. Go for it!!
Nikki

Old 11-29-2009, 01:00 AM   #9
(female)

evey24 HB User

I would like to get advice on a new symptom I am having and that is numbness to the right side of my face starting from the forehead down to the chin. I went to the ER but the neurologist sent me back home because they said it should go away on its own. This symptom has not been allowing me to eat correctly because of the pain it has been causing me. I would like to know if this is another symptom toward MS and what should I do about it?

Old 11-29-2009, 07:37 AM   #10
Facilitator
(male)

In a word- MAYBE. I get facial numbness generally on one side or the other. Sometimes it is not noticeable when it is mild. My neuro has me smile when she checks me. Many times she can readily tell because she says that my face will "droop". The longest my facial numbness has ever lasted (or noticeably to me) has bee 10 days.

You might try cold compresses/ice pack on the numb areas.

Closed Thread