It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2009, 10:36 PM   #1
(female)

Mama2Peanuts HB User
Beginning signs (painful eye movement + other things)??

Hi, I'm April and I'm 24yo.

I've been experiencing occasional sharp, stabbing pain behind/around my eyeball (within my eye socket) when I look to the far left/right/up/down. This comes and goes... usually hurting for 2-3 days, sometimes 1 eye, sometimes both, and then will go away for several weeks/months. It's been happening for a couple years now. When I mentioned it to an optometrist, he said I might just have dry eyes, but even with using lubricating drops, it still happens.

I do notice that it's worse in the mornings, and by evening it feels slightly better (but worse again the following morning, until that "spell" ends).

Another eye "quirk" I've been having is the past few weeks, whenever I move my eyes (looking from one thing to another, or in turning my head), it seems everything is more blurry than it should be, and things jump around (like I'm not able to scan things smoothly like I used to be able to, it's like watching a stop/start-action film, kinda choppy ).

Also, when moving my eyes as described above, I sometimes see double of things that my eyes pass by (particularly illuminated things like lamps, street lights, the microwave display, etc.) In the same time frame, I've also been getting a little light-headed when I'm walking around (ie looking around), or if I look left to right (not moving head) several times in a row (even slowly).

The above happens regardless of whether I'm wearing my [current prescription] glasses or not.

Now, looking up painful eye movement, the one thing that keeps popping up is optic neuritis. Does what I described sounds like that (as far as location of pain and the duration/frequency)?

And reading over other early symptoms, seems like I do perhaps experience some of them, including
* loss of balance - where I'll go to walk across the room (from a standing position), and suddenly feel really lightheaded , and stumble/swerve (my husband jokingly asks if I've been drinking since I look tipsy). This isn't a sustained feeling, just randomly will happen and pass within a few seconds, and happens once every couple/few weeks.
* muscle weakness - I've noticed my arms feel weak/tired just from things like blow-drying my hair (ie holding something away from my body). I'm not overweight and I'm a fairly active person (I have 3 children, ages 4 and under, I HAVE to be active )... surely I'm not that out of shape?? This seems pretty consistent.
* I sometimes have trouble recalling very simple words, and even say the wrong thing without meaning to. For example, the other night I was cutting up chicken, and my husband asked from the other room what we were having. For the life of me, I could not recall the word "chicken" even though it was literally right in front of me. And after "ummmmm"ing for a minute, I yelled back "peanuts", completely unconsciously. I have NO clue why I said that, but it just came out. Immediately after it did, I knew it was wrong and a second later I was able to remember "chicken". Now, I know people joke around with bad memory and "mommy brain", but that seems a bit much. This happens once every few weeks.
* Fatigue- some days are worse than others, but I will go through days of feeling SO tired, even though I got a good night's sleep. Not so much mentally, but physically- my body feels zapped of all energy. I don't have any motivation to do anything because my body feels like lead and it takes so much inertia to get it moving.

I haven't noticed any correlation between when these things happen, but then again, I've always thought these were completely random, unrelated issues and never thought about it. I had another "pain when moving eye" spell the other day, and once again tried to find info which brought me to reading MS symptoms a bit more closely, and thinking... hmmmmm.

Any thoughts??

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-19-2009, 05:49 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
Re: Beginning signs (painful eye movement + other things)??

Doesnt sound like you could entirely rule out Optical Neuritis, although, having had it so many times, I can say, when it hits its excruitating painful and usually followed by partial or total blindness and almost always color blindness....I do suggest you find a good opthamologist and make sure he is looking at your optical nerve...ON is inflammation of your optical nerve. Stay away from optomotrists, and make sure your doctor is a MD ....

As for whether or not you should be looking at MS- the only way to tell is to see a good neurologist, pick one who has patients with MS in his practice. A neurologist who specializes in headaches/migranes wont do you any good. If you can find a MS specailist, go to him! Have a MRI done and other tests to rule out some other things....MS is one of the hardest diseases to diagnose, because there is no test "for it' only tests to rule out other things....
wish you well...
Nikki

Old 11-19-2009, 09:11 AM   #3
Facilitator
(male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User

You should see a neurologist who deals with MS, I think, because there are issues that may be presenting.

I can relate to the eye pain behind and around the eye socket. My pain, when it happens, is usually worse in the morning, but it may worsen if I do not attend to it. I use acupressure which brings me relief. I have also found that much of my pain is light triggered. I wear polarized sunglasses indoors and outdoors.

Unbalance- I have not had a drop of alcohol in ages, and yet I know that if I were ever stopped at a DUI checkpoint I would fail! Being off-balance can present as a symptom of many problems.

Muscle Weakness- I can well empathize. Make sure being mom and over-working is not part of the weakness you feel. Over-doing can stress your body.

Cognition- Brain hiccups plague me often. My problems occur when my brain is over-worked. I have found that a quick nap to reset my mind helps.

It may take some time before you can see the right doctor. I would recommend you maintain a journal in order to determine any correlation between what you are doing, eating, etc and the onset of a particular symptom or symptoms. You might discover triggers which can greatly aid in your diagnosis.

For me, light sensitivity in my right eye, temperatures, etc. can cause me problems. These are my triggers. While you might determine some triggers, you might still have problems beyond any correlation. I have found that adhering to the avoidance of those triggers I can control greatly improve my daily life. As to those triggers beyond logic, rest, rest , rest!

Yes, as the mother of three you are busy, but if you have MS, you will need rest periods. If you are not healthy, you cannot help others. If you have MS, you might need to make some adjustments, but life is still good and you can still enjoy a full, rewarding life.

Take care and come back often to query your needs when they arise. I certainly hope you do not have MS, but if you do, know that you are not alone!
Eternally blessed and eternally optimistic!<><

Old 11-21-2009, 08:12 AM   #4
(female)

Mama2Peanuts HB User

Thank you so much, Nik and JayHawk. I really appreciate your responses.

Good idea re: keeping a journal. I'll definitely do that. I'm assuming you need a referral to see a neurologist, right? I'll start looking into that and seeing what's available around here. (Although I told my husband about this, and he laughed and said to stop reading stuff on the internet. Might take a bit to convince him that at least a general doctor's appt. would be a good idea)

Another question, is it normal to feel very lightheaded and a bit disoriented when getting out of a hot shower (not super sauna-hot, though)?

Thanks again!

Old 11-21-2009, 11:19 AM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

mama, youre symtoms are starting to sound more and more neurological as you state them.

To answer your first question, do you need a referral, thats up to your insurance company....mine, doesnt require referrals. Some do...

The second question- heat sensitivity, being dizzy, disoriented, sometimes even angry- and my favorite, breaking into a dizzing sweat two seconds after getting out of the shower, can all be attributed to MS and other neurological symtoms. Is it normal? No- not for average people...but for people who have a neurological condition it IS normal and should be avoided. Try to keep your shower water to tepid, not too hot. If you insist on starting out hot, try lowering it as you get thru the shower to where it lowers your body temp before you get out.

Things like blow dryers often affect me the same way. Saunas and hot tubs are a thing of my past! Sadly, even hot and humid days can make me miserable. However, when it is 20 degrees and snowing, I can still take a tropical vacation and enjoy myself, as long as I keep my body temp regulated. If I keep my feet wet, in the pool, I can sit in the sun all day. If I dive in regularly to cool off- Im fine. But, the days of taking hikes and letting the hot sun beat on my shoulders/ head are over!

You do want to be careful what you read on the internet as far as "cures" go. Its okay to research and understand symptoms, sometimes that helps you speak more coherently to a physician...but NOTHING is going to substitute a doctors exam- and in your case, probably a MRI. There is no cure for MS ,but there are over 5000 "cures" on the Internet....does that tell you anything? We all wish there was a cure- and maybe someday.....but until then, our doctors are our best friends- and the MS drugs which are out there only slow the progression of the disease, not cure it. Supplements, tonics and other miracles- just dont work.
You are going to need to tell your husband that "something isnt right" and convince him to allow you to go to a neurologist- and get this ball rolling. Ignoring these symtoms will not make them go away, and in fact, can cause permanent nerve damage which cannot be repaired. Starting dx and then treatment now for symtoms can both allieviate future problems, but also help control what is going on with your body. IF this is MS- its progressive. But, you can do something about it now, before it starts to progress. Once it does, its not reversible. I dont want to scare you- and dont let me scare you. I live with MS, and some permenant nerve damage- its something that because I ignored the warning signs, I could have prevented. Also, my primary care physician wasted so much time looking at the big picture, instead of sending me to a Neuro immediately- my damage is forever...BUT, once i found my neuro- things have been steady ever since. He really is my primary care doc, now...
Take care of yourself and happy holidays.
Nikki

Old 12-04-2009, 10:11 AM   #6
(female)

tiffin HB User

Hi, I have optic neritis and it sounds very similar to your eye problem. This is the first time I have had it and I have had it now for about 2 months. I am waiting to see my neurologist having just had an MRI. I think you need to get your eyes checked, and maybe have an MRI as well. I have some of the other symtoms you mentioned as well. The trouble is ms has so many symptoms which have no apparent order and are different for different people that getting a diagnosis can be difficult and according to my research can take a very long time, sometimes months, sometimes years. To get the ball rolling you need to seek medical advice and get yourselve checked out. Good luck and I hope you are ok.

Old 01-07-2010, 08:52 AM   #7
(female)

sanleejan HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama2Peanuts View Post
Hi, I'm April and I'm 24yo.

I've been experiencing occasional sharp, stabbing pain behind/around my eyeball (within my eye socket) when I look to the far left/right/up/down. This comes and goes... usually hurting for 2-3 days, sometimes 1 eye, sometimes both, and then will go away for several weeks/months. It's been happening for a couple years now. When I mentioned it to an optometrist, he said I might just have dry eyes, but even with using lubricating drops, it still happens.

I do notice that it's worse in the mornings, and by evening it feels slightly better (but worse again the following morning, until that "spell" ends).

Another eye "quirk" I've been having is the past few weeks, whenever I move my eyes (looking from one thing to another, or in turning my head), it seems everything is more blurry than it should be, and things jump around (like I'm not able to scan things smoothly like I used to be able to, it's like watching a stop/start-action film, kinda choppy ).

Also, when moving my eyes as described above, I sometimes see double of things that my eyes pass by (particularly illuminated things like lamps, street lights, the microwave display, etc.) In the same time frame, I've also been getting a little light-headed when I'm walking around (ie looking around), or if I look left to right (not moving head) several times in a row (even slowly).

The above happens regardless of whether I'm wearing my [current prescription] glasses or not.

Now, looking up painful eye movement, the one thing that keeps popping up is optic neuritis. Does what I described sounds like that (as far as location of pain and the duration/frequency)?

And reading over other early symptoms, seems like I do perhaps experience some of them, including
* loss of balance - where I'll go to walk across the room (from a standing position), and suddenly feel really lightheaded , and stumble/swerve (my husband jokingly asks if I've been drinking since I look tipsy). This isn't a sustained feeling, just randomly will happen and pass within a few seconds, and happens once every couple/few weeks.
* muscle weakness - I've noticed my arms feel weak/tired just from things like blow-drying my hair (ie holding something away from my body). I'm not overweight and I'm a fairly active person (I have 3 children, ages 4 and under, I HAVE to be active )... surely I'm not that out of shape?? This seems pretty consistent.
* I sometimes have trouble recalling very simple words, and even say the wrong thing without meaning to. For example, the other night I was cutting up chicken, and my husband asked from the other room what we were having. For the life of me, I could not recall the word "chicken" even though it was literally right in front of me. And after "ummmmm"ing for a minute, I yelled back "peanuts", completely unconsciously. I have NO clue why I said that, but it just came out. Immediately after it did, I knew it was wrong and a second later I was able to remember "chicken". Now, I know people joke around with bad memory and "mommy brain", but that seems a bit much. This happens once every few weeks.
* Fatigue- some days are worse than others, but I will go through days of feeling SO tired, even though I got a good night's sleep. Not so much mentally, but physically- my body feels zapped of all energy. I don't have any motivation to do anything because my body feels like lead and it takes so much inertia to get it moving.

I haven't noticed any correlation between when these things happen, but then again, I've always thought these were completely random, unrelated issues and never thought about it. I had another "pain when moving eye" spell the other day, and once again tried to find info which brought me to reading MS symptoms a bit more closely, and thinking... hmmmmm.

Any thoughts??
You could be me. the order is wrong but many similar symptoms. I have had the weakness in my arms (i use the same blowdryer analagy) I also notice it in my legs when I am walking up a hill or up stairs. I have pins and needles in my hands and feet. I have had a muscle biopsy and nerve testing for those. I started have balance "attacks" that were quite violent that have now subsided to a general "offbalanceness". I have had memory problems for a few years that seem to be getting worse. The most recent is the pain behind my eyes when I move them...it can get quite bad. I have had an MRI and the neurologist said it was likey inner ear and have recent

Old 01-07-2010, 08:54 AM   #8
(female)

sanleejan HB User

recently been to an ENT who says my ears are fine. Please let me know if you ever get a diagnosis

Old 01-09-2010, 06:25 PM   #9
(female)

alborde HB User

It is true that many of those symptoms are inner ear disorder symptoms.
I have bilateral vestibular dysfunction, meaning damage to both my inner ears.
I say the wrong words, forget my own phone number, am so fatigued that I rest my head on the steering wheel at stop lights...
I have visual disturbances- carpet patterns and bathroom tiles jump, I don't have depth perception, lights appear to vibrate...
It is disabling.
If your inner ear is not working right, it takes a lot of work on the part of both your brain and your muscles to compensate.

If you want to rule out inner ear trouble, the type of doctor to see is a neuro-otologist and the test to take is a VNG/ENG.

Edited to add: It was suspected that I had MS, but it was ruled out by an MRI.

Last edited by alborde; 01-09-2010 at 06:26 PM. Reason: to add last sentence

Old 05-18-2010, 07:21 PM   #10
(female)

Wilc516 HB UserWilc516 HB User

In searching for Optic Neuritis related posts, I came across this one. I hope that OP was diagnosed with something other then MS!

I too have a bilateral vestibular loss along with MS. So my fatigue is compounded by both symptoms. I often wonder which of my symptoms are MS related and which are the BVL. Its a chicken and an egg with me I think. The VNG/ENG is not a comfortable test, but it will tell you definitively if it is inner ear related.

Just recently I began having the eye pain that you referred to. I can't imagine this going on for multiple months! I have barely made it a week and it is awful.

I don't know if its my mind playing tricks on me or if I am just now more aware of the issues, but it seems that along with the pain, there is almost a glaze over my right eye.

I am seeing my neuro on Monday and have been to my eye dr (an actual dr) who says I have significant "issues" with the right side of my right eyeball.

Closed Thread