It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2009, 01:02 PM   #1
(female)

mckenziemcgruff HB User
does this soundl like ms?

if you have any input i would appreciate it.
in early august i experienced a throat spasm that lasted about 10 seconds and then disappeared for exactly 1 week when it occurred again. then i started having them several times a day. after a few weeks they seemed to be getting less frequent. then they started coming back, sometimes in my throat but also in my neck. approximately three weeks ago i woke up and my foot hurt even though i hadn't done anything to it. then about 1 week ago i started getting muscle spasms all over. legs and arms mostly but sometimes toes, fingers, chest. today not so much spasms but my upper right arm feels warm. not exactly tingly and not pins and needles and not exactly numb, but definitely...weird. sorry i'm taking so long to describe. i haven't found any patterns yet other than it seems to be worse when i'm lying still, but i think that may be because when i'm up and doing stuff i'm not paying as much attention to the spasms. drinking alcohol also seems to help although i've only tested this theory twice since the muscle spasms started spreading all over. or maybe getting a buzz is only distracting me from the spasms. i have a dr appt scheduled for 12-2 and i'm so scared. my mother's cousin has severe ms and she puts on a brave face but i know how difficult things are for her; she is almost completely immobile.
all i've been able to figure out thus far on my own is that my blood pressure and my blood sugar is normal. i am 32 and female so i definitely fall into the higher risk category for ms. i haven't experienced any of the other symptoms i've read about. please help if any of this sounds like ms to you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-22-2009, 01:38 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
Re: does this soundl like ms?

Hi McKenziemcgruff-
You sound really anxious about this and Im sorry about that. My first thoughts on your post are no, it doesnt sound MS like- if that helps. Your symtoms are too random and not happening enough to sound very neurological...they sound more mucle related, which MS isnt..
But youre on the right track by seeing your doctor and having some tests done...I hope evrything turns out okay for you. Try to relax...anxiety will make things so much worse- its holiday time and quite stresful for most of us, so really try to take care of yourself
Nikki

Old 11-22-2009, 01:45 PM   #3
Facilitator
(male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User

Welcome!

Ditto to what Nikki said. It is good that you are being vigilant. MS problems generally last or persist for 24 hours or more. As there appears to be a cyclical pattern, you might want to take note of what you are doing or eating or drinking prior to the problem presenting. This helps any doctor better treat you.

Good luck and come back here if you need more support in the "MS Field"!
Eternally blessed and eternally optimistic!<><

Old 11-23-2009, 04:20 AM   #4
(female)

mckenziemcgruff HB User
Thumbs up Re: does this soundl like ms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSJayhawk View Post
Welcome!

Good luck and come back here if you need more support in the "MS Field"!
thank you jayhawk and nikki. i really value your opinions (i even got up early this morning so that i could check the computer before i went to work- i usually do that for ebay only).
i'll let you know what the doctor says and i'll start keeping that journal. i've also started taking multi vitamins in case it's some deficiency problem.

Old 11-23-2009, 04:21 AM   #5
(female)

mckenziemcgruff HB User

thank you nikki!

Old 11-23-2009, 04:29 AM   #6
(female)

mckenziemcgruff HB User

i thought of one other symtom i didn't mention, but this one may be more paranoia than actual. i read that itching is a symtom and my aunt who has ms (really she's my 2nd cousin but she always been aunt barb to me) is always asking someone to scratch her nose for her or something. and my legs have seemed itchy on and off for years now. there's nothing visible to make them itchy. i'd says it happens once very couple of weeks my legs just feel itchy.
hmmm? hopefully i'm overreacting. i remember when i was 12 and had a stye in my eye, i called my mom at work, crying, and told her i thought i had an eye tumor. and i didn't even have internet then! i came to that conclusion with the funk and wagnall encylopedia!
ha!

Old 11-23-2009, 05:42 AM   #7
Facilitator
(male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User

Proper hydration may alleviate some of the itching. I get itches too, but more in the winter when the indoor air is drier. We run a humidifier and I increase my water intake. You might see if your aunt is getting sufficient water intake. Itchiness might be better seen by your GP or a dermatologist. At the very least, they could send you to a neuro if they saw any indicators.
Eternally blessed and eternally optimistic!<><

Closed Thread