It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2009, 11:44 AM   #1
(female)

rachytina2188 HB User
need some input

I am 21 and have had problems with severe headaches, fatigue, and vision disturbances for about 2 years. But recently I have been experiencing new and embarrassing symptoms. I often mix up numbers, almost like dislexia, but with numbers. Also, when I wake, even from a short nap, I am VERY shakey, usually for about an hour or so then I'm fine, and worst of all I am having trouble controlling my bladder... if I sneeze or cough or laugh or even blow my nose, I pee a little bit, and it is soooo embarrassing! obviously I'm the only one that knows about it, but I feel really awkward. could these be symptoms of MS? I have also noticed that my memory, for a 21 year old, is TERRIBLE. I have been to neurologists who cannot figure out what is going on, they are treating the headaches with gabapentin, and diamox, because I was at one time diagnosed with "pseudotumor cerebri" but after further review my doctor decided i don't have that because I am not obese and after the 1st lumbar puncture with high pressure, the rest were fine, even when I was having the severe headaches. I donno what to do, all the doctors can tell me now is that my brain looks like an 80-year old's on my MRI scans. whatever that means. help me!

Old 11-23-2009, 03:25 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
Re: need some input

The fact that your brain looks like an 80 year olds on an MRI, is certainly a problem- but NOT indicative of MS. Now, if they said you had lesions all over your brain and instantly referred you to a Neurologist, then you might have something MS to worry about...
The bladder issues, can be simply bladder issues. It happens to lots of people and although its hard to talk about, I would suggest consulting with your GYN first, and asking about maybe seeing a urologist....its a good start.
The other things you mentioned the dyslexic type problems, arent usually associated with MS specifically....cognitive issues can be the result of MS, but in most cases, takes YEARS to develope. Its not usually one of the first symtoms.
I honestly do not think you have MS to worry about, but if you are still afraid, then you need to see a Neurologist who specializes in MS and will look at your films and decide if new ones are needed.(MRIs).
Wishing you the very best...
Nikki

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-23-2009, 05:10 PM   #3
Facilitator
(male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User

Welcome.

If you have a question regarding what they mean by the appearance of your brain, you should ask them to explain. Most doctors appreciate the questions and they should make sure you leave each visit with most of your answers. From what you have written, you appear to have made all the right steps in achieving a diagnosis. Neurological maladies can all too often be puzzlers. I think you are in good hands, but I will add you to my prayers.
Eternally blessed and eternally optimistic!<><

Last edited by MSJayhawk; 11-23-2009 at 05:12 PM. Reason: typo

Old 11-27-2009, 11:23 AM   #4
(female)

rachytina2188 HB User

Thank you so much Nikki! I will take your advice, I hope its just a bladder problem, and that it can be fixed... lol. I was referred to a nuerologist because of the lesions, I have several dozen, which is odd for someone my age, BUT, at my last appointment they told me everything could be associated with migraines, and the shaking a side effect of the gabapentin (neurontin). So for now, that's what I have, Migraines and bladder problems. I can deal with that. :-) Happy Holidays!

Closed Thread