It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2009, 07:11 AM   #1
(female)

abdesigns HB User
Drs appointment Thursday, and a question

Thank you for your replys last week! I have a Dr's appointment tomorrow (thursday) with my regular family Doctor, I have to go to her first because of insurance reasons. I don't go often to see her, she pretty much blames all my ailments on being exhausted, I would imagine that if I showed up with a broken arm, she'd say "you're just really tired, it's not really broken, no, that's not your bone sticking up out of the skin, it's a tired wart" So we'll see what she says, if I don't get a referrel, I'll be changing Dr.s.

As for my question. I've really been feeling like I've been moving through a mud lake lately. It's like I have no "get up and go" or momentum. My brain is working, so it's not groggines. but my muscles, again, lake of mud. I've been getting great sleep, so it can't be that. I know that everyone has different symptoms, but is this something? Also, when you have pain... what does the pain feel like? is it dull and achy, or sharp and stabbing? I realize that this is hard to answer, and I'm sure that everyone is different.

Thanks again,
Abby

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-02-2009, 11:50 AM   #2
Facilitator
(male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User
Re: Drs appointment Thursday, and a question

The pain depends all too much upon the person and the location of the problem. When my leg muscles are weak, the stronger side must work harder and sometimes there is pain due to exhaustion. If you can track your problems in a journal, you might be able to better show your need for either a referral or initial tests. Your family doctor can handle many of the preliminary tests and send the files to a neuro later. Please remember that MS symptoms are often mimicked by other diseases and maladies.
Eternally blessed and eternally optimistic!<><

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-02-2009, 04:00 PM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

I agree with Jayhawk about the pain. Lately, Ive had back pain. Severe, screaming shoulder/ neck type back pain....guess what? Its from favoring my one leg, which is absolutely exhuasted because ive been over-doing it. When I have pain in my hand, which I always have, from severe nerve damage, its a dull throbbing pain, which I can basically ignore- because I have no choice. Nothing has helped it from drugs, to accupuncture to PT.

Meanwhile, crazy as it sounds...try alittle exercise. Nothing exotic or over stimulating, but try doing some stretches or some yoga- even try short walks around the block. Sometimes, exhuastion is really treatable by giving yourself small amounts of exercise which both perks up the brain and also stimulates seratonin in the brain. I actually feel worse when I dont make time to exercise and I try to do at least 1/2 hour a day of walking and/or balance ball type exercises...

As for your doctor...good luck. keep us posted..and consider changing GPs.
Hugs,
nikki

Old 12-02-2009, 07:31 PM   #4
Facilitator
(male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User

Ditto to Nikki's advice on the exercise. I get on my passive exerciser to help with the pain. Lack of motion can lead to muscle atrophy which leads to further deterioration.

When I had bad back pain, my doctor determined that I was off balance due to muscle weakness. I used a pair of forearm crutches for about 2.5 years and the balance returned while the pain went away.
Eternally blessed and eternally optimistic!<><

Old 12-03-2009, 04:19 PM   #5
(female)

abdesigns HB User

Had the appointment with my regular dr today. She thinks it's either Lyme disease or Epilepsy. Had the Lyme Disease blood test today, and she's getting me an appointment with a neurologist.

Thank you for all your help!!!

Closed Thread