It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2009, 12:01 PM   #1
(female)

ocean10 HB User
I need help PLEASE.....

I am going to copy and paste a log I am keeping because I am frankly too weak to type it all up. Please give me any thoughts or suggestions as to what it could be. I am praying its not MS, or even Lyme, but I have to know what it is to treat it. The numbness and the weakness are my 2 biggest complaints, esp my right leg/feet and arm/hands. Thank you. I posted this on the Lyme board also with only one person responding.. Maybe you folks here can relate to the symptoms more, or if not, please tell me.
(Sorry its long)

A little history..
Dont remember the year,(Probably 5 or 6 yrs ago) but one night just started to shiver uncontrollably and even under layers of covers. Felt really, really sick the next few days. Went to the Dr, but they didnt know what caused it or what it was....

June 4th 2007.. Went to Dr for unexplained swollen lip, then chin. Felt a twitch in my lip first. Went to allergist also who said is was probably bed bugs, and to wash sheets in hot water. Took alavert when I got swollen. Happened a few times. I also had numness and tingling in that area..
Since then, I had numbness on and off as well as an ocassional twitch in my lip.

Note: About 4 yrs ago, I was walking, and just fell. Not sure how that even happened, but it left me very shaken up for a long while after that. It happened again in 2009 while on a walk. Same feeling.

Sept 29th 2009.- Changed my diet. Cut the soda, candy, processed foods, and fast food. Having more grains, veggies and fruit. (I have what I thought High Blood Pressure. (A friend used a wrist one and my Dr said they are not accurate, so I am not sure if its high or not. Sometimes I will get an elevated reading at the Dr, and sometimes a normal one. I do have High cholesterol which I am working on lowering without medication.
Lost 10 lbs in a month.

Oct 27th 2009. Got sick with a sinus infection. Felt crummy for 2 days, and better after that but the productive cough went on for 2 weeks. Had amoxycillin for it, and robitussin dm.

Nov 9th 2009. Ate dinner and a couple hrs later my stomach just started in. I Had pain, diahrea, and almost passed out. I was in a cold sweat and things were spinning. It passed after a couple of hrs.

Nov 13th, 2009. Went to Dr (Chiropractor) and told him something is wrong with me. My left leg hurt on and off, then went to the right leg, which feels weak, and numb. My right arm too with the weak and numb feeling. Felt it on both sides, but the right was really bad.
Numbness in face (mostly around mouth,nose and chin), head, arms,hands (thumb is the worst) legs ankles and feet.
Occasional pain on bottom side of feet.

Nov 17th 2009. Went to see Dr (Neurologist)on Dr (chiro)say so.
He did exams, and said it all was ok, and I was "strong". Went for blood work and that came out ok, except the sugar was a little elevated probably because I ate earlier that day. (Need to get it checked again)

Note: some other symptoms..
*****ly feeling on top of head
Feels like a burn sensation on parts of hands, feet, hips, back and sides of neck, behind my knees.
Numbness and weakness CONSTANTLY! Also in my face.
Chills
Just dont feel good
Somewhat achy legs
Feeling flushed in the head. When I get up, it feels like a rush of adrenaline. Sometimes I feel it even while standing and its not a feeling that is normal..
tired (I think from not feeling good)
eye twitching

Nov 24th 2009.. Went back to Dr (neuro), and he took a nerve and muscle test and that came out ok. I asked to try a round of Doxycycline to see if it helps in case this is lymes disease.
Not much better on it, and didnt get real sick from it. I did break out in a small upper back rash after being on the antibiotic for 2 1/2 days. I continue to take it.

Nov 30th 2009. The weakness and numbness bad today and I am trying to get a hold of Dr . Have to see where to go from here.

Dec 2nd. Saw neuro dr and will get brain MRI, bone scan and ultrasound early next week.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-02-2009, 03:53 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
Re: I need help PLEASE.....

Hi. I didnt want you to think we were ignoring you! But if you dont mind me saying so, probably the reason you arent getting allot of responses is the length of the post....some of us with MS, have a very hard time reading on the computer, and its hard to read and digest that much info- and answer it without sounding completely rediculous. So forgive us MSers- and lets see if we can break this down.

First of all, I commend you on being your own advocate. You feel something is wrong and youre taking control on trying to get answers! From what you say, you have done everything right so far...and with the tests you have coming up, youre on the right track. All of those tests will either point towards, or rule out- MS.

That being said, I have to say, I dont think you have MS. Your symtoms are too all over the place, not at all MS like - other then tingling and numbness- and with MS, thats not a "now and then" thing- its nerve damage, and its permanent unless treated with steroids immediately- and your description just doesnt fit....

The BP issue- not MS. High cholesterol, not a MS thing either. Nor is Sugar being elevated. Stomache problems, also not a MS thing- the only thing that MSers get stomache wise is constipation problems...thats common with us.

So, too many of your symptoms sound like something else completely.

Lymes? Possibly...some of your symptoms do sound Lyme-like..and a round of antibiotics isnt going to help you. When they treat Lymes, they treat with extremely high doses, and for a very long time....and if its too advanced, even that wont help you. You need to see a Lyme Literate doctor for that, and youlll find much more info on the Lyme Boards here at healthboards...

However, have you considered that some of this could be anxiety? Im not in any way suggesting that you are crazy- but sometimes, the body reacts to anxiety in exactly the ways you describe..and anxiety is real. Its not "all in your head" and sometimes its not treatable without medication- so Im taking this seriously when I ask you....is it possible you are so focused on this that you are causing your body un-due stress and pressure? Just a thought...

I hope youll let us know how your tests turn out. And, I hope they show nothing. From what the neuro has told you so far, you do not have MS like symtoms, and your tests arent leaning that direction....so I hope it stays that way. But like many other diseases, MS can show up randomly, so having these tests is a really good idea.

Wishing you the best..
Nikki

Old 12-02-2009, 06:27 PM   #3
Facilitator
(male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User

Your symptoms and problems can fit a myriad of possibilities. You saw a neuro who has scheduled testing. As far as I can tell, if you are seeking neurological help, you have done what needs to be done.

Even with MS, if you have MS, it is important to learn to identify those things which are and are not MS related.Much of this will come from experience and a good neuro. If you are seeing the neuro, have him write down those tests, etc. which your GP should run. Your neuro cannot play the part of your GP because neurology is a full load already.

With all that is going on in your life, the unknowns are the most frustrating. I hope you can get the answers you need. In the meanwhile, I shall keep you in my prayers.
Eternally blessed and eternally optimistic!<><

Old 12-03-2009, 04:08 AM   #4
(female)

ocean10 HB User

Thank you both so much for your responses, and I am sorry for such a long post. I do understand its hard to read lengthy posts and then try to decifer it. But, I do appreciate your thoughts and I am praying you are both right.

I do have a Dr and given what the tests show, I will take it from there. If he finds no evidence of ms, I have a lyme literate Dr waiting in the wings. One step at a time.

Today I am shaky, not that you can see, but I feel shaky and weak inside. Yes, I do have anxiety and I know it can make things a lot worse, but I dont think its the sole cause of my symptoms. And I am really trying to stay calm.

I also feel funny in the head. (not all the time, but enough)...Is that an ms symptom?

Again, thank you for your input. I really do appreciate it.

Old 12-03-2009, 05:46 AM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

Youre asking if feeling funny in the head is a MS symtom? Youll have to describe it better....a headache? Feeling disconnected? Thats sometimes known as Cognitive Fog or CogFog...and yes, that can be a MS symtom; however I know of 100 people who do NOT have MS and describe feeling that way, too.
Another thing that should be checked again is your blood levels, specifically for defiencies....vitamin B deficiency can cause allot of what you are describing- as can low iron.
I hope you feel better soon...and remember, whatever it is, youll manage it. Youre not any different today then you were last week, or last year.

I have MS, Im doing my doctorate, work 50 hours a week, take care of my home, husband and stepkids and manage to do it all just like anyone else. The only difference is that 3 days a week, I bang an interferon into my body...and yes, I get tired, and overwhelmed, and feel CogFog daily- but in the end, I choose to do this to myself. I hated myself when I felt like I was giving up and shutting down my life. You can do anything you make up your mind to do- so dont let some aches and pains change who you are, or your dreams of what you want to do!
Nikki

Old 12-03-2009, 06:06 AM   #6
(female)

ocean10 HB User

Hi Nikki.. The feeling in my head almost feels like a rush of adrenaline, or a flushing sensation that feels like high blood pressure. I have noticed it more and more lately.. And I do feel a little brain fog, but realize that could be many things...I havent had a headache.
Is it possible to have a growth in the head without a headache? Would that cause numbness in my limbs? I know I am grasping at straws here....

I am getting my vit B levels checked also. I went for blood work yesterday and that was one of the things he is testing.

Thank you for the encouragement Nikki. I know what you say is true, but I sure dont feel too secure right now.

Old 12-03-2009, 07:46 AM   #7
Facilitator
(male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User

I think that you need to try to relax and let your doctors sort things out. The doctors will have to filter out those things which could combine for all the symptoms you have; they must also extrapolate the separate possibilities; they have to also determine any combination therein. With all the work the doctors have before them, I think you need to try to avoid any worry or stress which can manifest as yet more symptoms.

You mentioned numb limbs. Spinal disc compression, pinched nerves,....... could be one of many causes while headaches can be totally different. If your CT Scan is clear, then you should not have any "growths" in your brain/body. Your MRI will look at other things.

Lesions, if you have them, are not growths as much as they are patches of deterioration of insulation surrounding nerves. It is like scraping the insulation off an electric cord and allowing it to remain exposed for some time before replacing the insulation with cheap electrical tape (scar tissue). The cheap tape (scar tissue) will never be able to conduct the same amount of electrical current again without overheating, etc. If you have MS, the doctors will be able to sort it out for you. Until then, trying not to dwell on the unknown is important to your overall health.

Old 12-03-2009, 09:20 AM   #8
(female)

ocean10 HB User

Jayhawk, I am trying to relax but its a bit hard when your legs/feet, and hands have been numb for over 3 weeks...

I dont have headaches, and my back nor spine hurt me, so I dont think a disc is the problem...A pinched nerve would hurt also.
I didnt have a CT scan , but will have an MRI this coming monday, along with an ultrasound of my lower leg to check arteries, and a bone scan the following day.
I realize I need to be patient, and try not to worry, but unfortunately for me, I am a natural born worrier..
Besides, it scares me that some of these things are hard to diagnose, even with testing, and that Dr's dont always agree on things. So, you kind of have to be your own Dr.

Old 12-03-2009, 09:26 AM   #9
Facilitator
(male)

While you await your testing, have you discussed physical therapy (pool therapy) with your doctor? This might alleviate your numbness. Even if you get a diagnosis tomorrow, your numbness might be the burden you have to bear. It has been 6 weeks for me and my left leg is not responding to exercise, but I still exercise. Do not give up on hope and each day you have to place one foot in front of the other whether numb or not.

You mentioned that you are a natural born worrier. This fact alone can account for some of your problems which have manifested. What outlet do you have for your stress? Worry (anxiety) can mimic MS and cause other damages long term.

Old 12-03-2009, 09:37 AM   #10
(female)

ocean10 HB User

My Dr hasnt recommended any kind of therapy. I guess he wants to know what is wrong first. I dont know what is wrong and what is causing these symptoms. I am working ( I am at a pc all day, but I do get up to move around) and try to move like I usually do.
I went to the store with my sister last night, and my legs were so shaky and weak, which scared me . I am a bit better today as far as the shakiness, but I am still numb...
My Dr mentioned anxiety to me and although I agree it will make things a whole lot worse, I know its not the cause. You just know when something is wrong in your body and this is one of those times.
When I get a diagnosis, then I can start being treated. They cant really treat what they dont know what to treat..
I appreciate your help.

Old 12-03-2009, 06:39 PM   #11
Facilitator
(female)

Ocean,
I have to agree with Jayhawk on everything he said. Im sorry i got involved so late in this thread, but I just got home from work, and it was a 15 hour day for me there.....

You cant figure this out without proper testing. The MRI will show quite a bit...if it doesnt, it rules out almost as much! Therapy is only beneficial if you know what the root cause is, and then how to treat it...so I agree, the docs are waiting for more info before they prescribe that treatment...and for some of us (me) PT didnt help at all. Ive had numb hands/ fingers for 4 years now...and I have back and shoulder pain and leg weakness. I ignore it. Most of the time.....sounds unrealistic, but what choice do I have? None of the "nerve" drugs, Lyrica, Gabepentin, Neurontin, have worked at all....PT didnt make a difference...moderate exercise does help me, if I dont over do it...mostly, i just "deal" and figure that I have plenty of time to worry about it down the road, because it isnt getting worse and its certainly not stopping me from having a life.

in the meantime , natural born worrier, youre going to have to learn NOT TO WORRY! Or start taking some anti-anxiety drugs to take the edge off, because you will worry yourself into illness and make yourself worse. Please be good to yourself....your tests are coming and until you get those results, you wont do yourself any good worrying! My stepfather, who has Parkinsons Disease always tells me, if you worry about something BEFORE it happens, you put yourself thru it twice, if it eventually does happen....so dont worry now, because chances are you have nothing to worry about, and if you DO have something to worry about, then deal with it (worry about it) THEN and not before!
hugs...and more hugs (sounds like you need an extra one tonight)
Nikki

Old 12-04-2009, 04:42 AM   #12
(female)

ocean10 HB User

Thank You Nikki. Your step father is right, and I have heard that before.
I am trying to switch my thinking and keep myself busy till I get the testing done which will be Monday and tuesday.
My legs are not too numb today (finally a little break), but they feel like they been through the wringer, like a flu or something. I also have a touch of a headache but not enough to take an asprin.
I do take xanax when I need too, mainly at night so I can sleep, and I do talk to a therapist.

I will let you all know what they find if anything.. I am praying for some good news. Thanks again for your encouragement.

Old 12-04-2009, 02:30 PM   #13
Facilitator
(female)

Sounds like you are doing everything right! Im a huge advocate of taking Xanax when needed... Good luck with the tests and let us know how things turn out.
Hugs,
Nikki

Closed Thread