It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2009, 08:36 AM   #1
(female)

tiffin HB User
Cool How long does optic neritis

How long does optic neritis last, I was diagnosed with it on 5th Oct 2009, it has improved but not to the point where I can get back to work. I had an MRI without contrast on brain, which apparently was normal. I should be having my first meeting with a neurologist in a couple of weeks and could use some info and tips.

Old 12-04-2009, 02:28 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
Re: How long does optic neritis

Hey Tiffin. I saw some of the other responses that you made to other posters. You sound like a very "together" individual for one, going thru all this. Loved the cat story. That would have made me smile, too.

But, to answer your question- ON can last a week or a month or longer....what did they do for you to treat it? Did they put you on IV Steroids? That is the normal treatment for ON....I sincerely hope they didnt put you on a steroid pack- that was "old school", nowadays, they dont advise that route...but to go Intervenous instead. With treatment, things should clear up pretty fast. Ive had ON 3 times....each time Ive fully restored my vision, although the last time left me with some residual pain...I dont think it will ever go away.

As for meeting with the Neuro...make sure this Neuro is either very versed in MS, or at least has patients with MS, or ask for a referral to a MS specailist...although ON doesnt always mean MS, its an indicator that further testing should be done...and all MRIs should be of the brain and CSpine, WITH and WITHOUT contrast....with the contrast is what helps small and active lesions show on the films...get another opinon on the films you had done and inquire if they should be repeated.
Wishing you the best...
Nikki

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-05-2009, 07:31 AM   #3
(female)

tiffin HB User

Hello
Thanks for your good advice re my appointment. I haven't had any treatment for my eye as it had improved a bit on my last visit to the hospital, and they thought it would clear up on it's own. Unfortunately, it is taking a long time and the improvement is slow and some days, (even time of day) are better than others. I'm not really that together about all of this as prior to my eye problem I really wasn't that aware of MS. Now I know more through sites like this and other research and I'm pretty worried. However, I have a 17yr old daughter and that is helping me keep everything in perspective as I spend my time worrying about her and how she is dealing with it. I'm an optimist by nature which I think helps me see the positive aspects of most things. I had a bit of melt down a couple of weeks ago, but after a good cry and a bit of a wallow in self pity I felt a lot better. I admire the way you are handling things and the really constructive posts you have contributed.

Old 12-05-2009, 01:54 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

Thanks Tiffin. You have to do whatever you can in this world to keep going...for me, its school, my job, and my family....having MS is no big deal beyond the shots, and the absolute fatigue (most of which I bring on myself by overdoing it). Its not a fatal disease, and its a manageable one...

Good luck with your doctor...and yes, ON can clear up on its own, and at this point, its proabably too late for steroids, but next time , if there is one, youll know to ask about it immediately. I hope it never returns- as you know , its not fun....but get checked out and see what happens.
Best to you.
Nikki

Old 12-10-2009, 02:40 PM   #5
(male)

Brett Wicher HB User

I have had optic neuritus for over a year. It normally clears up within 3 months. Mine however did not even after 3 rounds of IV steroids. My eye doctor said that the loss of vision in my eye is permenant due to nerve damage

Old 12-10-2009, 02:54 PM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

hi Brett. Welcome to the boards. WOW. Thats not good news. DO you have MS? Or just optical Neuritis? They dont have to be exclusive to each other....

I too, have a permanent problem, numbness and lack of use of my left hand and fingers- due to nerve damage from a MS lesion in my brain. For awhile they thought it was carpal tunnel, then a pinched nerve....turns out it was MS and that was how I was diagnosed.

anyway, just wanted to say welcome to you and hope to hear more from you.
Nikki

Old 12-14-2009, 06:01 AM   #7
(female)

tiffin HB User
Unhappy Re: How long does optic neritis-Update

I'm getting a bit grumpy now, my appointment with a neuro was cancelled just as I was on my way to see him and I am waiting for confirmation of an appointment in early January. In the meantime I have been booked to see another opthamologist this Friday. In the neuro's letter he said my current dx is presumed optic neritis with a normal brain MRI. Not sure what this 3rd eye doctor can do any ideas? Apparently this exam by the eye doctor could take upto two hours, I have no idea why.

Last edited by tiffin; 12-14-2009 at 06:02 AM.

Closed Thread