It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2009, 01:44 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

kimpossible67 HB User
Wink Re: Update

Hi everyone! I hope this finds you all well and looking forward to the holidays. I posted back months ago about starting aqua therapy and I wanted to let all of you know how it was going. The therapy is relaxing and the exercises simple enough to do but worked for my mobility and has helped my left side. I have made the decision to have gastric bypass but have to do 6 months of doctor supervised diet and exercise. I found I had a thyroid problem and the doctor put me on synthroid. I'am on a low-fat/high fiber/high protein diet. I have lost 20 pounds in the last month!
I have now been put on the PT floor, working me much harder. It is helping so very much! When I started out, I could only walk at home 1/2 a block. Now I walk about 1/2 a mile a day plus 3 days of PT. I'am feeling better than I ever have since I was dx'd in '05.
I did go off of the Avonex. I think a positive attitude combined with diet and exercise is helping me more.
I have a friend that is an MS'er and she is so obsessed with her disease. It's always "I can't".......I don't want to be like that. I want TO until I can't. The Lord has blessed me with a wake-up call and I'm glad I heard HIM. I'm looking forward to becoming more and more healthy.
So, two thumbs way up for aqua therapy and PT in general. My PT is very knowledgeable with MS and actually specializes in aqua therapy for MS and various other diseases.

Happy Holidays and Merry Christmas to everyone!

Kim

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-09-2009, 02:06 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
Re: Update

Kim old friend!!!! So GREAT to hear that things are going YOUR WAY!!

Thrilled to hear your update- and the message of positive thinking is definately something that we can all use reminders of!! Aqua therapy seems to have done more for you then helping you to gain strength and lose weight- your entire attitude sounds wonderful!

happy holidays to you and yours....please keep us posted with the therapy, the surgery and everything else that is happening with you. From someone who has been there thru it all, Im so glad to hear how well things sound!

Big hugs,
Nikki

Old 12-09-2009, 06:06 PM   #3
Facilitator
(male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User

Some very wonderful news. I am glad you are making progress with your battle.

I hope some of your positive influence will help your fellow MSer!
Eternally blessed and eternally optimistic!<><

Old 12-10-2009, 05:57 AM   #4
(female)

Barbbelle HB User

Hi Kim!
That is fantastic news! You sound so pumped up and I can tell that you have a new drive to keep to fighting! YEAH! I, too have been doing Aqua therapy and I love it. The things that I can accomplish in the water is amazing! I normally walk with 2 loftstrand crutches on land, but I'm free in the water to walk unassisted. Where my muscles were once wasting away, they are now showing signs of definition. I am striving to keep my muscles awake as I wait for a day when stem cell or any other repair work can be done. I also notice that I am able to catch myself from falling. My legs are strong enough now to stop me. I can think about how to get out of that situation before I just slam to the ground.
I go to PT twice a week, have a friend come to my house once a week for therapy and go to the pool and pay for a therapist to assist me. I have been totally blessed for the opportunities to be able to do this.
Kim, I'm so proud of you for fighting so hard. Keep up the good work and we all can't wait to hear you talking about struttin your stuff!
Take care & God bless~!
Barb

Old 12-10-2009, 12:10 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

kimpossible67 HB User

Thanks Nikki! It's funny how encompassing the dx is and how you can or can't let it take over your life. I guess I did. Being positive is so much more productive than being negative! I was spending day in and day out in bed and I haven't so much as had a nap in the last month! Glad to hear from you! Have a wonderful holiday, my friend!

Kim

Old 12-10-2009, 12:11 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

kimpossible67 HB User

Thank you, Jayhawk for your kind and encouraging words, as always. Have a Merry Christmas!

Kim

Old 12-10-2009, 12:14 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

kimpossible67 HB User

Thanks Barb! I'm glad you agree aqua therapy is helping you as well. I can't wait to "strut my stuff" lol........Take care and have a wonderful holiday and keep up the good work at PT. In my opinion, the caring staff was/is a life saver and they are so encouraging that "you can".

Kim

Old 12-10-2009, 03:18 PM   #8
Facilitator
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimpossible67 View Post
Thanks Nikki! It's funny how encompassing the dx is and how you can or can't let it take over your life. I guess I did. Being positive is so much more productive than being negative! I was spending day in and day out in bed and I haven't so much as had a nap in the last month! Glad to hear from you! Have a wonderful holiday, my friend!

Kim

Kim, I totally believe that most of this dx is controlled by mind over matter. Although, that being said, I also believe that each of us has to get "to a place" where we are ready to stop believing the worst, and start seeing light at the end of the tunnel. For some of us, it happens faster then others. It appears you have gotten to that place, and now its OUR job to show others the light.....keep doing what you are doing! Its a great thing for others to read about and hear about- you know Ive shared my story a million times over and to this day, still get thanked for doing so. Each of us has a story and its the successses that keep newbies from giving up hope- and remind the MS community that "this too will pass' and each day offers another chance to move forward. Im so proud of you!!!
Happy holidays back!
nikki

Closed Thread